WKM returns home far to often !

Hi Guys

My very first quadcopter build, a x650 Wookong M combo (photo below) is now flying (thanks to all out there who helped with advice) and I am totally impressed with the DJI return to home failsafe facility, apart from the fact that my bird is returning home to often.

In ATTI mode I have no problems and can fly for the full flight duration, however in GPS mode I get 3 or 4 minutes into the flight and the unit goes into failsafe mode and returns home landing perfectly within a foot or so of takeoff. I can recover by switching to ATTI mode and continue my flight, however I have yet to complete a full flight in GPS mode.

The fact that I can fly in ATTI mode without any problem makes me think this is not a comms or battery problem. I have run the assistant software and checked that I am centred correctly (6 clicks in) in each of the flight modes and I am now at a loss. Any help or suggestions to overcome the problem would be appreciated.

Eric

View attachment 3850View attachment 3849

Attachments

• Quad 04.jpg
    Quad 04.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 304
  • Quad x650 build lr.jpg
    Quad x650 build lr.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 156

xvin

Could it be that you're somehow triggering failsafe with your stick movements while in GPS mode?

Tahoe Ed

You didn't say what kind of radio equipment you are using, but I would go back and check you end point adjustment for the three position switch. Make sure that it is in the center of the blue highlighted area. If you are getting any frequency drift from your Tx or Rx is may be possible that for GPS it is close enough to the line between GPS and Failsafe it is moving the switch to Failsafe. Kind of out there but it has been reported once by someone else who had a similar problem. Worth a try.

Could it be that you're somehow triggering failsafe with your stick movements while in GPS mode?

I doubt it. My failsafe is on a three position switch and its happening too frequently to be accidental. I think it's a transmitter problem but I don't know how to check it.

You didn't say what kind of radio equipment you are using, but I would go back and check you end point adjustment for the three position switch. Make sure that it is in the center of the blue highlighted area. If you are getting any frequency drift from your Tx or Rx is may be possible that for GPS it is close enough to the line between GPS and Failsafe it is moving the switch to Failsafe. Kind of out there but it has been reported once by someone else who had a similar problem. Worth a try.

I thought it might be the end point positions myself and I have checked them 3 times already. They are all bang central in the highlighted area. I am using the Spektrum DX8 and matching 8000 receiver and I guess it may be frequency drift as you suggest but I have no way of checking apart from opening the assistant software after each flight and confirming they are still central.

xvin

I doubt it. My failsafe is on a three position switch and its happening too frequently to be accidental. I think it's a transmitter problem but I don't know how to check it.

Yes, it could be a signal loss. I would check the wiring on the Rx to make sure it's secure, etc. Is your Rx receiving power from the main bat. or separate? I'm on Futaba, so I do not know the config of your Tx, but is the Ant secure, etc?

Last edited by a moderator:

Tahoe Ed

I thought it might be the end point positions myself and I have checked them 3 times already. They are all bang central in the highlighted area. I am using the Spektrum DX8 and matching 8000 receiver and I guess it may be frequency drift as you suggest but I have no way of checking apart from opening the assistant software after each flight and confirming they are still central.

Have you noticed the sliders on the Tx calibration screen moving slightly? Mine started with a slight movement then it got worse. I ended up having to send it into Horizon Hobby to have the software updated. You may want to check on the recall/service update for the Dx8.

Have you noticed the sliders on the Tx calibration screen moving slightly? Mine started with a slight movement then it got worse. I ended up having to send it into Horizon Hobby to have the software updated. You may want to check on the recall/service update for the Dx8.

Thanks Ed, I'll check that out. In the meantime I intend to carry out some controlled test flights with the x650 hovering in GPS mode and my video trained on the signal LED in the hope that I can catch it as it changes mode. That is, if the weather improves. I don't know where you are based but the weather here is wind and rain showers :dejection: