Will this yaw ever go away...?

yea.... when I fly mine it has some. I think it depends on the winds some. When I fly faster I think its less of a yaw but then too fast you see the props.... I think the new H3-3D gimbal is supposed to help with that.

adanac

I'm coming to the conclusion that the P2Z is no good in wind if you want usable (sellable) video.

yea.... when I fly mine it has some. I think it depends on the winds some. When I fly faster I think its less of a yaw but then too fast you see the props.... I think the new H3-3D gimbal is supposed to help with that.

adanac

I look forward to seeing the 3D. Will it be available for my F550?

I believe there is a place for GoPro level video in tv production. I'll need something better as well that's true, but I'm trying to have a reliable GoPro platform as well and I'm trying the P2, F450, F550 and Discovery Pro. Wind is a real problem.

The 3D will help you. If you want sellable video you need to upgrade beyond the GoPro.

Tahoe Ed

I look forward to seeing the 3D. Will it be available for my F550?

I believe there is a place for GoPro level video in tv production. I'll need something better as well that's true, but I'm trying to have a reliable GoPro platform as well and I'm trying the P2, F450, F550 and Discovery Pro. Wind is a real problem.

It should be soon. The GoPro is a valuable asset in close production where a large copter will not work.

We have done several Discovery channel shows using a gopro. I would say a high percentage of those types of shows use a small amount of footage from them. The key is to have a decent AC to fly it...... With the H3-3D the results should be better however the wind will always be an issue with the small size of the P2.
I think it's best to have a gopro flyer and a bigger AC flyer like the S1000.

Last week week I was flying the P2 down a hallway inside a hotel, the P2 was great.

Yesterday i I was flying vineyards for a project and I used the big heli and the P2.

adanac

What is "AC" in this context?

We have done several Discovery channel shows using a gopro. I would say a high percentage of those types of shows use a small amount of footage from them. The key is to have a decent AC to fly it...... With the H3-3D the results should be better however the wind will always be an issue with the small size of the P2.
I think it's best to have a gopro flyer and a bigger AC flyer like the S1000.

Last week week I was flying the P2 down a hallway inside a hotel, the P2 was great.

Yesterday i I was flying vineyards for a project and I used the big heli and the P2.

AC stands for Aircraft. I work with full size helicopters everyday.....
The bigger multicopters fly more stable than the P2. A lot more stable in winds and predictable. Trying to line up a shot with the P2 on some talent is tough to do sometimes when it's breezy.

adanac

I totally agree. I wish I had met you before I started with these quads that aren't great in wind. Apart from the difficulty in lining up a shot, they shake and yaw. In my limited experience any wind above 3mph is problematic. Have you tried the F550 with a GoPro?

AC stands for Aircraft. I work with full size helicopters everyday.....
The bigger multicopters fly more stable than the P2. A lot more stable in winds and predictable. Trying to line up a shot with the P2 on some talent is tough to do sometimes when it's breezy.

I had the F550 and it was more stable. Another option would be a team black sheep discovery with a H33D zen. It's not proven yet... But the discovery is more stable than the P2. They also make a gimbal but I'm pretty sure it doesn't yaw.
The P2 has been a great training aid especially when needing to fly full or partial FPV. It makes you feel more comfortable when you have the 15K AC in the air.

adanac

I do have the Discovery Pro and I do feel it's better in the wind but, as you say, the gimbal that it comes with doesn't yaw. The Disco Pro does yaw on it's own as well.

I built an F550 last week (which I also can see yaws on it's own) but have not yet received the gimbal, which was back-ordered - I wonder if they'll end up sending me a 3D as I hear the 2d aren't available even to retailers anymore.

I had the F550 and it was more stable. Another option would be a team black sheep discovery with a H33D zen. It's not proven yet... But the discovery is more stable than the P2. They also make a gimbal but I'm pretty sure it doesn't yaw.
The P2 has been a great training aid especially when needing to fly full or partial FPV. It makes you feel more comfortable when you have the 15K AC in the air.

jondrew

I think you have something else going on there. I was just looking over my videos and do not see that much yaw except in very windy situations. Of course you are taxing the limits of the system by flying so close to a fixed object (the house) which makes the yaw oscillations stand out in your video. You might want to go into the Assistant software and check the IMU calibration ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPYsE7e5_oM ). The video I linked to is for a P1, but he was complaining about Yaw.

Hope this helps

adanac

I live in NY and shoot in NJ, CT and MA and it's basically always windy here. Anything I shoot with should be able to deal with wind so the Phantom was probably not the right choice for me. And although I never expect Aerial Medial Pros to send me the H2-3D they owe me, I'm hoping I'll get my hands on one and that it will correct this yaw issue.

I think you have something else going on there. I was just looking over my videos and do not see that much yaw except in very windy situations. Of course you are taxing the limits of the system by flying so close to a fixed object (the house) which makes the yaw oscillations stand out in your video. You might want to go into the Assistant software and check the IMU calibration ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPYsE7e5_oM ). The video I linked to is for a P1, but he was complaining about Yaw.

Hope this helps

Cheshirecat

Looks very similar to the sort of general lack of stability my Phantom experiences plus you are going to get any turbulent air coming off that building even if it is only a light breeze (and that was a close pass)
the Phantom is great to learn the handling and far less to worry about over flying a heavy lifter but i never thought of the Phantom as a serious camera platform just not enough mass there, even my 9Kg SkyJib gives an occasional uncommanded yaw when there is a strong gust of wind but it does not hunt around CW and CCW all the time.