Why are retracts so expensive?

Glennyboy

Trying to find some retractable landing gear at a good price in the UK....no chance!

this is for my tarot t1000 octo, obvious choice is buy from china but not sure whats best...anyone?

SoCal Blur

What's your idea of a good price? The best price I've found in the USA is about $500 for 400mm retracts. There is the option of building your own with some HobbyKing retract servos some carbon fiber tubes, etc. Plenty of videos on YouTube on how to do that.

I must admit that retracts look very sexy...... but they add significant weight and add to the complexity of a setup.... I prefer the Cinestar strategy...... the landing gear does not retract.... it simply rotates with the camera so that the legs are never in the camera FOV.

SoCal Blur

Hi,
You might want to take a look at these. $239 + Free Postage
If you hold off buying for a while mine are on the way and I will post true pics and let you know what they are like.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/HML8...opter-Octocopter-Multicopters/1637061945.html

I hope you purchase goes well.

I ordered the same set through aliexpress - all appeared to be well but then I started receiving odd emails from the seller...telling me that they are not sending it via DHL as their website said, that it would be through Hong Kong post but they wouldn't register it because it would be a red flag to customs. To their credit, aliexpress must monitor the emails because they froze the sale and determined that this was a fraudulent sale. After about 12 days, my money was refunded. That's the good thing about aliexpress - they hold the money in escrow and don't give it to the seller until the parts are delivered or you file a complaint.

I don't know if this is the same seller that I ordered from - hopefully not. If you are successful in receiving the retracts and that they are decent quality, I might consider them again. In the meantime, I am trying to build my own.

chrismog

Silly old fart
I hope you purchase goes well.

I ordered the same set through aliexpress - all appeared to be well but then I started receiving odd emails from the seller...telling me that they are not sending it via DHL as their website said, that it would be through Hong Kong post but they wouldn't register it because it would be a red flag to customs. To their credit, aliexpress must monitor the emails because they froze the sale and determined that this was a fraudulent sale. After about 12 days, my money was refunded. That's the good thing about aliexpress - they hold the money in escrow and don't give it to the seller until the parts are delivered or you file a complaint.

I don't know if this is the same seller that I ordered from - hopefully not. If you are successful in receiving the retracts and that they are decent quality, I might consider them again. In the meantime, I am trying to build my own.

I will let you know.
In the meantime, if you are thinking of building your own, maybe this would help......................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRSPFYlKo58