Which lens filter is best for GoPro3+ black?

gtranquilla

RadioActive
Apparently the ND offsets the shutter on time relative to frame rate for better video so as to reduce jello which I don't think I am getting with my 3 axis BGC + 32 but Alexmos.
But I think the Polarizing filter can do that and more, i.e., cut thru glare and increase contrast etc. etc.

Most importantly..... where do I buy these.......?
I struggle to trace back to the previous postings on MRF to find these answers.

[MENTION=1417]kloner[/MENTION];

kloner

Aerial DP
we use the polar pro..... small, light and glass, we use the naked type for the tbs gimbals and such. but i've seen some higher end ones, [MENTION=5910]Chadfish[/MENTION] shows....

Chadfish

I bought the Polar Pro for it's lightness (10-12 grams) so I could use it with the DYS 3-Axis Smart gimbal. It acts as a good sun shade and is light, but I found it totally molested my image. Everything look soft. I've been working with Snake River Prototyping to get a smaller / lighter / better go pro filter that we can use on about any GoPro gimbal. I've done a lot of testing of prototypes, and now they are coming out with the "BlurFix Air" that comes in at about 7.6 grams, and has amazing glass. I'm getting my final production models this week to test and do comparison vids with. They will have an ND4 (.6nd), a CP, and a CP/ND combo. I'm excited. My gimbal has not complained about the filter. I personally don't use that metal clamp that goes over the lens, and makes the lens harder to put a filter on, but for people with Tarot type clamps, there is a cut line in the tube that slides over the lens, so you can make it shorter to accommodate that clamp. I hate the clamp and use a fat black rubber band. Anyway, these filters should drop in August. Attached is a photo of a prototype. Also there will be an optional sun shade you can clamp onto it, though it keeps the prop flutter away pretty well.
attachment.php

Here's a test I did checking out the Polar Pro against no filter, and you can see how soft the image is. Their ND is way darker than it needs to be, and causes the shutter to slow too much IMO. It also casts everything blue. At first glance one may think the image is better with the PP but it really started bothering me.

Attachments

• SRP_CP01.jpg
    SRP_CP01.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 264
Last edited by a moderator:

gtranquilla

RadioActive
Thank you Chad.... love that background music...
just wondering if it will be possible to order up a BlurFix Air sometime in August and have it shipped into Canada!
The CP/ND combo would seem better fit-for-purpose from my perspective as the polarizing filter shifts so much as the camera rotates towards/away from the sun.
Clearly the ND filter minimizes prop flutter flying towards the sun. And I crave image sharpness such that softening by a filter is not what I want at all.
I am more partial to the blue versus the yellow as a lot of my late day videos show too much yellow without filtering so I do the post editing white balance adjustment.

I bought the Polar Pro for it's lightness (10-12 grams) so I could use it with the DYS 3-Axis Smart gimbal. It acts as a good sun shade and is light, but I found it totally molested my image. Everything look soft. I've been working with Snake River Prototyping to get a smaller / lighter / better go pro filter that we can use on about any GoPro gimbal. I've done a lot of testing of prototypes, and now they are coming out with the "BlurFix Air" that comes in at about 7.6 grams, and has amazing glass. I'm getting my final production models this week to test and do comparison vids with. They will have an ND4 (.6nd), a CP, and a CP/ND combo. I'm excited. My gimbal has not complained about the filter. I personally don't use that metal clamp that goes over the lens, and makes the lens harder to put a filter on, but for people with Tarot type clamps, there is a cut line in the tube that slides over the lens, so you can make it shorter to accommodate that clamp. I hate the clamp and use a fat black rubber band. Anyway, these filters should drop in August. Attached is a photo of a prototype. Also there will be an optional sun shade you can clamp onto it, though it keeps the prop flutter away pretty well.
attachment.php

Here's a test I did checking out the Polar Pro against no filter, and you can see how soft the image is. Their ND is way darker than it needs to be, and causes the shutter to slow too much IMO. It also casts everything blue. At first glance one may think the image is better with the PP but it really started bothering me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chadfish

I'd say just contact SRP and see if they will send them to Canada. I don't work for them so I don't know much other than they said August they should be available. As for the b;ue color vs the yellow. I don't like that yellow either, but for any "real" videos shot with the GoPro I use Protune with the RAW wight balance. Leaving it on auto is what causes the over yellowing and the unwanted color shifts. With RAW WB you set the overall color tone when you grade the footage. Tat being said, the CP filter I've been using makes for a more pleasant color when shooting in the standard mode with auto WB.