Whats the best way to improve my FPV clarity?

bensid54

I have a Fat Shark dominator with a clover leaf antennae set on the way, what else can I do to improve or maybe even replace this system?

FlyGirl

I have a Fat Shark dominator with a clover leaf antennae set on the way, what else can I do to improve or maybe even replace this system?

What's wrong with it Ben? Dominators are supposed to be pretty good. I have the Base goggles (same quality as Attitudes). They are pretty good so the Dominators have to be even better.... A new antenna will help range which helps snow. What VTx and camera are you using?

bensid54

First off I'm wrong about my Fat Shark system, it's the Fat Shark Teleporter system. The problems I see are a grainy view through the goggles and a sometimes snowy view too. I have the dipol antennae which helped but I want a clearer picture.

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
Ben the basic problem with the Teleporters is that are cheap, only way to fix that is to buy a better pair of goggles. The Teleporter's are only half or less the resolution of pretty much every other set of goggles out there. Looks like in the next few months there is a few new goggles becoming available, would be worth taking your time, the new Skyline diversity goggles look very good.

As far as the snow is concerned you can grab a set of IB Crazy Mad Mushrooms, these are probably the best choice for a basic goggles based system without going to a full on ground station or grab a CP Tx Mad Mushroom antenna and a 3 turn helical and put that straight on your goggles.

Pete

FlyGirl

First off I'm wrong about my Fat Shark system, it's the Fat Shark Teleporter system. The problems I see are a grainy view through the goggles and a sometimes snowy view too. I have the dipol antennae which helped but I want a clearer picture.

Hey look! I'm giving Pete a +1 again! ;)

I have a friend who just got rid of his Teleporters for the same reason Ben.... The Predator v2 (which I have) is better than the Teleporters but the Base goggles (which I also have) are even better yet and are equivalent to the Attitude model. I'm pretty happy with those. My friend bought the Dominator (not sure if it's SD or HD model) goggles and likes them a lot but they are expensive....

bensid54

Are Base Goggles a Fat Shark product? Thank You Pete that clears things up for me (pun intended) I'll look at other goggles. Does the transmitter figure heavily into this I have the 5.8ghz transporter system, maybe I need to upgrade that too.

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
Base goggles are Fatsharks but you can't put a receive module in them, you must plug them into a ground station, even plugging the Teleporters into a ground station they are pretty limited because of the very low resolution.

You could use an external vRx, it would improve your distance if set up properly but yo are still limited by that low resolution.

The 250mW vTx with the Teleporters should be pretty good and should get you good range but you must get better antennas to get the maximum range.

Really the only answer is to get better goggles.

Pete

FlyGirl

Are Base Goggles a Fat Shark product? Thank You Pete that clears things up for me (pun intended) I'll look at other goggles. Does the transmitter figure heavily into this I have the 5.8ghz transporter system, maybe I need to upgrade that too.

Yep, as Pete said, the Base goggles are FatShark and they have to be used with a base station which I do. My base station is pretty rudimentary though. It is just an ImmersionRC Uno receiver mounted with Velcro on top of a cheap (but nice!) 16 dollar Amazon tripod. I use the same spironet antenna from my Predator goggles on the Uno receiver and power it using the same battery from the Predators. I just swap the antenna and lipo back to the Predators if I don't want to use the tripod. Cheap base station but it works very well.... I'm using the 600mw ImmersionRC video transmitter and so far I haven't found an area to fly in that is bigger than the signal range. I've never gotten snow on this set up... Look for the little red car in this vid. That's where I am....

Edit: I meant to say I have never gotten snow when having a clear line of sight.... I have gotten behind tree lines and gotten snow.

Last edited by a moderator:

bensid54

Flygirl is this the kind of resolution you get through Predator goggles? If that's the case then as Pete says need good goggles mine are grainy at the best of times. I will check the specs on my TX to make sure they are 600mw thanks again to both of you .

FlyGirl

Flygirl is this the kind of resolution you get through Predator goggles? If that's the case then as Pete says need good goggles mine are grainy at the best of times. I will check the specs on my TX to make sure they are 600mw thanks again to both of you .

That's from my Replay XD720 video camera.... I don't have a DVR for the FPV camera but this video below is a good representation of what I am seeing in the goggles Ben... It's probably a little sharper in the goggles than the vid because of the compression but it's close... These are Attitude goggles (someone elses) but my Base goggles have the same screen etc, just no Rx in them. The Predator goggles are roughly the same as the vid but the screen is smaller than in the Base goggles.....

bensid54

The goggles are better than mine but not a great deal better. I think I'll take baby steps first and start with an Immersion 600mw transmitter and see how much that improves things then maybe after Christmas buy some new goggles. Who knows maybe my oldest son will buy me some for Christmas!

FlyGirl

The goggles are better than mine but not a great deal better. I think I'll take baby steps first and start with an Immersion 600mw transmitter and see how much that improves things then maybe after Christmas buy some new goggles. Who knows maybe my oldest son will buy me some for Christmas!

Time to start dropping hints!! ;) Let me know how you like the 600mw VTx... I really like mine....

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
I am using 200mW vTx's from TBS, flying out over 600 metres using just goggles and P antenna, will get further if I used my helicals on my gogs.

You can see the quality of the video at the end of this when I switch to the live feed at about 1:15.

FlyGirl

I am using 200mW vTx's from TBS, flying out over 600 metres using just goggles and P antenna, will get further if I used my helicals on my gogs.

You can see the quality of the video at the end of this when I switch to the live feed at about 1:15.

You got me curious now about the quad that died Pete? :) Sorry Ben, don't mean to hijack the thread!

Kilby

It looks like you are getting some good range there for 5.8! How are you supplying power to your video transmitter?

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
It looks like you are getting some good range there for 5.8! How are you supplying power to your video transmitter?

All power on that quad is supplied through the TBS Core that is built into the TBS Discovery Pro frame, supplies 5 volts for the vTx and 12 volts for the camera, you can set it up the other way round or both 12V or both 5V, pretty good system.

You got me curious now about the quad that died Pete? :) Sorry Ben, don't mean to hijack the thread!

Yes we had a bit of an aircrash investigation afterwards, looks like a circlip had come of the bottom of the motor, not a big deal until the bearing fell out, very unbalanced motor with the plummet to earth from about 100 feet. And here is the video from the other quad that died and you can see my Disco Pro in there.

bensid54

So it's back to the goggles then! Pete what goggles do you suggest I get keeping in mind I'm very green at this? Flygirl hijacking my thread is fine it sometimes takes a thread into an interesting direction and I too was curious about the quads death.

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
I am using FatShark Dominators with a TBS Dominator 32 channel module, the FOV is not quite as wide as the Attitudes but they are sharper around the edges and a bit nicer to look at I think and you can easily swap modules.

If I was buying now I would look very closely at the new SkyZone goggles, well priced and lots of features. If you want cheap you can go with the Base goggles but you need to have an external vRx, easy enough to set up though.

It is a bit like buying a PC, there is always something new coming on the market tomorrow, in the end you have to make a choice and buy and be happy.

There are plenty of other goggles out there and many people using them, everyone will have an opinion and it is worth trying to get along and have a try of as many as you can if that is possible. I am pretty lucky here in Canberra there is quite a few flyers to catch up with and shoot the breeze and actually see the stuff first hand, I even fly with one of the dealers sometimes.

Don't be in a hurry, take your time.

Pete