What would you like to see in new quadcopter?

A big hello to everyone from Smart Drones!

First off, we are a brand new hobbyist UAV manufacturer located in the south of France. We are currently developing a ready to fly quadcopter and are trying to make the experience as user friendly as possible. At the moment we are in the R&D phase and would love the input of the RC community and fellow enthusiasts in order to provide a truly great product! So here is the open question... what features would you like to see in a RTF quadcopter?

Here are some key points that we have settled so far.

• The quadcopter will be completely RTF straight out of the box, just attach the props, battery and go.
  • We have fallen in love with the ardupilot AP platform. The quadcopter will come with ardupilot and GPS preinstalled, programmed and tuned (including compass depending on your location).
  • Famewise we like the look of the X650 carbon fiber frame.
  • The quad will be powered by a 4S 4000mah lipo system.
  • The radio system will be the Turnigy 9x 2.4GHz transmitter and receiver.
  • Motors will be 5010-650KV with balanced 12x4.5 carbon fiber props.

Our target sale price will be $899 + $99 p&p (worldwide shipping including everything needed for flying). We will include the RCTimer brushless gimbal and controller already assembled and set up for and additional $149.

For now our website is under construction, but we will document every aspect of the quad and it's AP, ardupilot. Our goal is to provide something that is one level up from the DJI phantom but affordable for those looking to get into FPV or areal photography.

We look forward to your thoughts and comments!! :D

reddinos

what would the total weight be? and as a result, what would the flight time be? is it going to have some sort of telemetry? like basic flightPack status? or how are we going to know when to land? are the props slowflyer type or eProp type so it performs better on windy days? and lastly, are the escs going to be40? 30s ? and would these be flashed with SimonK firmware or something else? thanks. :)

A big hello to everyone from Smart Drones!

First off, we are a brand new hobbyist UAV manufacturer located in the south of France. We are currently developing a ready to fly quadcopter and are trying to make the experience as user friendly as possible. At the moment we are in the R&D phase and would love the input of the RC community and fellow enthusiasts in order to provide a truly great product! So here is the open question... what features would you like to see in a RTF quadcopter?

Here are some key points that we have settled so far.

• The quadcopter will be completely RTF straight out of the box, just attach the props, battery and go.
  • We have fallen in love with the ardupilot AP platform. The quadcopter will come with ardupilot and GPS preinstalled, programmed and tuned (including compass depending on your location).
  • Famewise we like the look of the X650 carbon fiber frame.
  • The quad will be powered by a 4S 4000mah lipo system.
  • The radio system will be the Turnigy 9x 2.4GHz transmitter and receiver.
  • Motors will be 5010-650KV with balanced 12x4.5 carbon fiber props.

Our target sale price will be $899 + $99 p&p (worldwide shipping including everything needed for flying). We will include the RCTimer brushless gimbal and controller already assembled and set up for and additional $149.

For now our website is under construction, but we will document every aspect of the quad and it's AP, ardupilot. Our goal is to provide something that is one level up from the DJI phantom but affordable for those looking to get into FPV or areal photography.

We look forward to your thoughts and comments!! :D

You had me interested until you got to Turnigy 9x.
That doesn't sound like the smartest choice for a Smart Drone, just the cheapest.

CopterCam

I'd suggest you have a rethink on the brand name. The 'D' word has too many negative connotations.

It wouldn't interest me with this name regardless of it's value ?

RuralFPV

COWS!!!!
I don't know who your intended customers are but carbon fiber props alone would be bad for a newb. Not that the props are a bad idea per se, I'd just throw in some cheap starter props to use until they get the hang of not having "surprise landings". :)

DennyR

I know some people who are using the Turnigy x9 for FPV with UHF conversion and they all say it is great.....

Hi reddinos, to address you questions...

1 - what would the total weight be?
1400g without a gimbal or payload...

2 - and as a result, what would the flight time be?
This will vary greatly depending on your style of flight and what you add on for payload. Approximately 20 minutes without a gimbal or camera.

3 - is it going to have some sort of telemetry? like basic flightPack status?

We will add an option for people who want full telemetry kit for $34.99

4 - or how are we going to know when to land?

The RTF quad will come with a Lipo alarm.

5 - are the props slowflyer type or eProp type so it performs better on windy days?

They are slow flyer props and we can offer a choice between carbon fiber and ABS trainer props.

6 - and lastly, are the escs going to be40? 30s ? and would these be flashed with SimonK firmware or something else?

We will be using the hobbywing 4 in 1 ESC, this eliminates the need for a complex wiring harnesses and has "Low voltage cut-off protection/ over-head protection/ throttle signal loss protection" and has been proven to work very well with ardupilot. http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/new-4-in-1-speed-control-quad-hobbywing-skywalker-quattro

You had me interested until you got to Turnigy 9x.
That doesn't sound like the smartest choice for a Smart Drone, just the cheapest.

The Turnigy 9X has a very good rep and is an ideal transmitter for it's price. It works very well with ardupilot also.
I'd suggest you have a rethink on the brand name. The 'D' word has too many negative connotations.

It wouldn't interest me with this name regardless of it's value ?

We're up for suggestions!
I don't know who your intended customers are but carbon fiber props alone would be bad for a newb. Not that the props are a bad idea per se, I'd just throw in some cheap starter props to use until they get the hang of not having "surprise landings".

That is a very good point!

Keep em coming guys!