What would cause this issue?

benc

I'm using tmotor mn4120-400 with tmotor s45 amp esc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Not sure what happened. Need more info. And is that normal behaviour for your gimbal? The constant flicking into position seems really weird.

What flight controller were you using and what firmware version? How were your lipos and power connections when you checked afterwards?

benc

No it's not norm, I'm using the new DJI H3-3d Gimbal on default setting. Need to look into that one also. One person told me it might be a faulty GCU.

im using naza-m v2 as my controller, the firmware is the most current one. My lipo and power connect was all check out before flight. I check the lipo after the fall, it was still fully charge, the thing is, one of the motor was rip out from the motor mounts and must of disconnected from the esc. Don't know if it was mid flight or it was after fall. Beside that , another motor was also rip from the mount, but is only 1/2 way but still attach. This is the 2nd time it did the same thing.

Not sure what happened. Need more info. And is that normal behaviour for your gimbal? The constant flicking into position seems really weird.

What flight controller were you using and what firmware version? How were your lipos and power connections when you checked afterwards?

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Hmm, 2nd time?

Using the same motors and ESC as the first time? I would generally say it looked like a motor/ESC failure to me. Potentially one on the right hand side of the aircraft. Does the NAZA not have a motor failure failsafe like the WKM does then? Hmmm.

Could there be a small short circuit in your wiring? I think it's just the gimbal behaviour that seems like a pulsing charge build-up type thing, but I am talking nonsense and know nothing about it really...

I think lots of bench testing is in order to try and find the cause.

Cheshirecat

No it's not norm, I'm using the new DJI H3-3d Gimbal on default setting. Need to look into that one also. One person told me it might be a faulty GCU.

im using naza-m v2 as my controller, the firmware is the most current one. My lipo and power connect was all check out before flight. I check the lipo after the fall, it was still fully charge, the thing is, one of the motor was rip out from the motor mounts and must of disconnected from the esc. Don't know if it was mid flight or it was after fall. Beside that , another motor was also rip from the mount, but is only 1/2 way but still attach. This is the 2nd time it did the same thing.

There is a glimpse of one of the motors still spinning as it tumbles back to earth, so it seems unlikely to have been a total power failure.
With a Quad if you loose 1 motor or prop it will flip and come down but i would suspect the physical damage to the motors happened on impact, it was quite high when it flipped so would have been carrying a fair amount of energy when it hit.
I also noticed that the flip happened simultaneously with one of the camera twitches, not sure how it is wired but if you have a faulty gimbal controller it might be possible it is overloading the electrical supply causing one or more motors to stop or slow down enough to cause the flip.

It might be an idea to rebuild it, tether it to the ground and run some exhaustive motor tests on load, see if anything quits during the test. If it is OK put the gimbal back as is and test again to see if that behavior causes any issues.
It also seems likely you have at least 2 un-flyable motors now.

Good Luck

benc

Thx he for the input, I check the motors, they are in working order. I do suspect that one of the esc glitch and cause the motor to quit. Not sure till I test it.

There is a glimpse of one of the motors still spinning as it tumbles back to earth, so it seems unlikely to have been a total power failure.
With a Quad if you loose 1 motor or prop it will flip and come down but i would suspect the physical damage to the motors happened on impact, it was quite high when it flipped so would have been carrying a fair amount of energy when it hit.
I also noticed that the flip happened simultaneously with one of the camera twitches, not sure how it is wired but if you have a faulty gimbal controller it might be possible it is overloading the electrical supply causing one or more motors to stop or slow down enough to cause the flip.

It might be an idea to rebuild it, tether it to the ground and run some exhaustive motor tests on load, see if anything quits during the test. If it is OK put the gimbal back as is and test again to see if that behavior causes any issues.
It also seems likely you have at least 2 un-flyable motors now.

Good Luck

cootertwo

Naw, I see the problem. You were waaay too close to that airplane pulling the banner, and the FAA shot you down with a laser burst from an orbiting satellite.

38super

I know it's been a while just had the same happen to me a few nights ago . cleaned up wiring did you ever find a fix or problem?
does this look familiar

benc

The video is so dark, what are you flying? Dji 450?

My issue is gone. 1st I thought might be a esc.. So I have that replace, but seems to keep happening. The to be safe, I converted my x4 to a x8. And I try it again, and notice is happening to the same arm. I was flying low and see one of the prop stop spinning for 2 sec. Landed it, and see if I can start it up again., and it did start up. But it started again. So took it home, rip it apart. Inspect the esc and the motor. After close inspection, I see that 2 of the copper coil was broken. It was hard to see, but I see it on top side of my motor. I sent it to my dealer to see if is under warranty, but I had purchase a replacement motor, and hope to try it out in a few weeks. But I believe that was the cause of my crashes.

Last edited by a moderator:

MadMonkey

Bane of G10
I dunno if you fixed your gimbal issue, but that exact thing was happening to mine until I updated the firmware.

F

fengshuidrone

Naw, I see the problem. You were waaay too close to that airplane pulling the banner, and the FAA shot you down with a laser burst from an orbiting satellite.
He was breaking some common sense rules with that altitude, especially in occupied airspace. Not supposed to be flying within 5 miles of any aircraft in USA. Maybe he's in Europe where no one cares.

benc

You're wrong, I was flying it at a state park which requires a park permit to fly and also a ama membership. And I set my quad to fly less that 400 ft. I think I was like maybe 50-75ft, So I am in compliance with the height . If you don't know please don't say it. Is not one of the airspace spots. You should not assume what you don't know.

He was breaking some common sense rules with that altitude, especially in occupied airspace. Not supposed to be flying within 5 miles of any aircraft in USA. Maybe he's in Europe where no one cares.

F

fengshuidrone

You're wrong, I was flying it at a state park which requires a park permit to fly and also a ama membership. And I set my quad to fly less that 400 ft. I think I was like maybe 50-75ft, So I am in compliance with the height . If you don't know please don't say it. Is not one of the airspace spots. You should not assume what you don't know.
Not trying to start a fight.... but that was WAY more that 50 to 75 feet. I have aerial footage taken from my quad at heights read out to me by telemetry and I'm completely familiar with how things look at height. Either that or that airplane towing that banner was flying at 50-75 feet and I'm really stupid. The average height of a mature Eastern Cottonwood is 75 to 85 feet and the Eastern Pine is 80 to 100 feet, both of which are probably in your video way down below. The minimum altitude for small aircraft like that one towing the banner is no less than 400 feet. You're an AMA member so you should really follow their rules instead of making them look bad. All this hobby needs now is a quad causing a plane crash somewhere and none of us will be flying legally anymore. I fly in a nearby park that is free of any airport restrictions because I live out in the middle of nowhere. Occasionally, a small plane flies over. When I see a plane, I land until the plane is gone. Even if I am only at treetop level or slightly higher, I land because you never know when a glitch may arise and your quad shoots into the air. Your video PROVES that stuff can happen when flying in airspace with live piloted airplanes. I don't want to be the idiot responsible for some ones death and the destruction of a hobby being enjoyed by others. Just to be safe. I know my profile says "New Member" but that doesn't mean I'm new to the hobby. I just never joined here until recently. Anyway.....have fun and BE SAFE.

Last edited: