What TX / RX DEVO 10 or Spekturm New build and notice user

Faffer

Hi All,

Well I have got the bug to learn to fly a quad, Decided to play over Christmas with a Walkera Ladybird V2 and while I can fly this in doors I am still not there but a lot is down to how quick this things moves in a 14x12 room so I am often correcting moves trying to stop if drifting not learning.

I am happy with keeping the thing forward and moving it about and can turn trough 90 degrees so it’s then left or right for forward or back but get a little confused with the 180 turn but that’s down to how quick it moves and I panic not wanting to kill anything in my room. not given it a go outside yet

Well I have decided I need to look for one I can use out doors and I am reading good things about the DJI and nazza kit so Have spent time looking at the 450. At first I was tempted to get the phantom but think I might have talked myself out of that.

So how I see things in my head

Adding up what is needed for the 450 excluding the TX and RX I am just over the Phantom price and then my next thing is ………….

How good is the Walkera DEVO 10 ? Now if I use this to fly it would I be missing functions / options that the Spekturm DX8 would give me or do better?

There is quite a price jump and the DEVO 10 looks good to me and a nice saving over the added extra cost adding a Spekturm DX8

If the spekturm is better would you say get the DEVO 10 now and upgrade later when I know I am looking to spend more?

Cheers

Richard

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Aye Up Richard and Welcome to MRF.

R U in the UK?

As for your question beleive me I have spent more £ trying to save a few £ and failed in the sort term never mind long term, I really dont want to think about. My advice would be to go with something that is tried and tested. Spektum DX8's and DX18's are my choice.

As it happens I have a DX8 just back from being refurbished by Horizon UK. couple of new switches where I bent um in my rucsac, and a new throttle gimbal.

If you are interested PM me.

As far as learner quads go then I guess you started off right and now have just a twitch of an addiction. Go down the F450/Naza route IMO.. Also talk and buy from someone who really knows what they are doing.

My preference is quadcopters.co.uk. there are others but as I have been at this almost as long as MR in the uk existed I have dealt with most at some point in time and also had me trousers downed just to many times.. But now I am sorted with a great supplier and now also a great mate and flying buddy, so I get to know all the tricks of the trade the good and the bad... and the scams that so many flyby night suppliers have used. (and Yes I have personally been had by a night flier!)

Good luck and keep us posted on how you get on

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:

Faffer

Hi Dave

Yes I am in the UK.

The problem I am faced with is Devo 10 135.95 and would help get me started but I know what your saying some times cheaper options are not always the better ones

The DX8 just add a bigger lump I am finding harder to swallow been 254 its a big jump and thats the cheap site and other seam to have it priced a bit more

Richard

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Thing is I dont know anyone on here using one so you would be our Guinea Pig !

Good luck with it.

Dave

Faffer

Dont know if thats a good or bad thing.

I have spoken to another shop that does this set-up and they use it and sell more with the DEVO 10 than the DX8 .. but not sure if thats sales talk tho the DEVO 10 is cheaper or just make more on a DEVO 10 kit ???

Yes its only £120 more or there about depending on where and P+P cost but its a big lump if the devo 10 works well.

Id be no good as a Guinea Pig as I dont know if its any better or not as I dont own or have used anything else.

Just trying to get a foot in the door and start playing.

Richard

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Horses for courses, now I can guess who is selling it.... good luck

As I said this place has more B'cell power on MR's than any other place I know and the only thing I have heard of by Walkera is the Ladybird and entry level helecopters.. been down that route. In over 81,000 posts the DEVO has never been mentioned... thinking of it was that not a rock band back in the 80's that dressed up in Yellow Tank suits and crashed and burned after there one hit 'We are Devo'!

Dave

Faffer

So is that more a hint to think longer and harder about where and what I spend on

Don't want to spend more than I need to but at the same time spending and getting a good set-up only to be let down with a bad component is no good

Richard

ROVguy

So is that more a hint to think longer and harder about where and what I spend on

Don't want to spend more than I need to but at the same time spending and getting a good set-up only to be let down with a bad component is no good

Richard

I think youve answered your own question there Richard! :) I was faced with a similar dilemma when I was looking to buy and decided to save a bit longer and buy quality rather than be stung later on with cheaper equipment.

I second Daves quadcopters recommendation, they are very good, even if they do get VERY busy!

I also recommend watching Daves vids, hes shot some amazing scenes!!!!

Good Luck!

Rich.

Faffer

Hi All,

Well I did get to chat to Geoff last night and he was able to help with my do I get the 450 or Phantom.

Getting the DX8 would help on set-up and support as most use this set-up so getting the DEVO 10 could cause me more problems then again there could be non at all but sounds like I need to save more or dig a bit deeper.

Quadcopters are the closest authorized DJI dealers so that does get extra points and the feed back and support is always good just need to work on my spending.

Richard

Droider

Drone Enthusiast

Richard

Patience Richard.. I know it is some times all to easy to push add to basket... buy.. and its there next day.. I have stopped doing that and instead put it in a wish list that has a minimum of a week before I can move it to the out basket! This gives you chance to TAD (think,ask,decide) and thats what 'WE' are on here for.

Spend a bit of time reading the newbie threads, some good questions have been asked in there, probably all the ones floating round in your head, so grab a brew and Faff around in there for a while, then come back and ask away.

Dave

PS Aye UP ROVguy you back on shore? BTW thanks for the vid comments

ROVguy

Aye up Dave, unfortunately not Ive just gone back to work, managed to get xmas and new year off though... just. Managed to get a few flights in whilst I was off which was great, although would have liked more, blummin British winter!!! Back home in February so will put some hours in then all being well and hopefully I will have a FPV system waiting for me to install. Hows things with you? Im liking your new build btw, I so want one, but I just cant justify the expenditure this early on into the hobby.

P.s The vid comments are much deserved.

ezroller

The problem I am faced with is Devo 10 135.95 and would help get me started but I know what your saying some times cheaper options are not always the better ones

The DX8 just add a bigger lump I am finding harder to swallow been 254 its a big jump and thats the cheap site and other seam to have it priced a bit more

Richard

have you considered the DX6i at all? Im in the same boat, have just got my first quad (f450 with Crius AIO pro) and also fly rc planes and this suits me nicely, im not sure what youd miss on the DX8 as the DX6 has more than enough switches to activate flightmodes on a quad (unless theres alot on the NAZA fc's that I dont know about) and has the same digital set up features. It lacks features like the battery and range level but not a great deal else. was a breeze to set up for my quad (following instructions!) and has 6 model memories so is easy to switch between my planes and perhaps another quad in future.

also only 100 pounds. I guess youve already come across the DX6i so forgive me if im just telling you stuff you know already, but as im a noob as well I hope it helps.
can definitely recommend the F450 as a good sized stable quad to start on and have read very good things about the naza flight controllers. might be worth considering the crius AIO pro tho at about 60 pounds its quite a bit cheaper, and the mission planner software you set it up with is very good imo.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Aye Up ezroller.. to answer you question the DX6 does not have the functionality of the DX8. The Naza needs three position switches to enable all the available functions and the AR8000 for the programable failsafe.

Dave

ezroller

ah ok, thanks, rules the DX6 out then. and kinda rules out a move onto naza controllers without me facing the same dilemma as the original poster!

Faffer

Taking on what others have said I am looking at the DX8 ...

Wish It was cheaper and more than 8 outputs but quality is one thing I know I will be getting and lots of support from the forum

ezroller

I know I will be getting and lots of support from the forum

thatll help make up the price difference, same with getting a naza controller over my arduino crius one... one is well documented and discussed and the other barely any posts or info.

Faffer

It would have been nice to have had people say the DEVO 10 is good but sales people talk and forums speak from real use.

The saving would have been nice but there must be a point to why no one else had popped in and said they use it, So Id get no / little support and been new I am sure I will need more than most

Richard

Malinois1

Hi Faffer,

I'm running with a DEVO 10 setup. It came with my MX400. When I decided to upgrade with the DJI 450, I of course didn't want to change over to another TX. I have not experienced any problems with the DEVO 10 TX in and of it self and there are others that use this TX setup successfully as well (I know from reading other forums). There are also plenty of Youtube videos utilizing the DEVO series TX with the DJI 450 and 550. Now with that said..... The one issue I and other DEVO 10 owners had was setting it up with the NAZA M. The reason is there are just too few instructional videos (make that zero instructional videos!) or written instructions out there on how to do this. The issue was how to set the Fail Safe and RTH feature. I have since been able to overcome this barrier and my DEVO 10 F450 setup works great! If you do decide to go with the DEVO 10, shoot me a message and I will be glad to walk you through the process and provide video as well.

Faffer

Hi Malinois1

Not spent on anything yet and glad to see someone is using it

Can you post the video ? I'd like to look watch and see how its done and also let more advance users give some coments on how or if its different to the dx8 set up

Taking in all the info I can before I purchase make sure I get the correct set up for me

Cheers