What kind of multicopter for me?

archaon

Hello everyone!

I have recently fallen in love with the idea of having my very own multicopter.
The thing is, I don't know much about them except the fact that I want one so I was hoping you guys could help me make up my mind.

First off a couple of features that I would like to see in my future copter:

- I want to be able to fly as long as possible
- I want the copter to have some lifting capability (me being an electrical engineer I will probably want to modify it to fetch me stuff :p )
- I'd like to have a camera on it, GoPro or something like that, but I would also like to have a livefeed from the camera on the copter so that I can see where I'm flying. Would it even be possible to have some kind of glasses that u could get a livefeed into?
- I don't want the cheapest model, well let's say roof on my budget is 2000 dollars.
- I want a cameraholder that automatically adjusts and compensates for a "bumpy ride".

I've done some research, and these two models I have found very fascinating.
http://www.goodluckbuy.com/lotusrc-...be-hexacopter-aircraft-camera-gimble-kit.html
https://store.3drobotics.com/products/apm-3dr-x8-rtf

Would I be able to do all this with the copters that i linked to? and what other equipment do I need? I'm guessing I probably need a control unit of some sort but other than that I'm pretty much lost. What other things do I need to fulfill my criterias and live happily ever after? =)

And another question, from how far away can u navigate these things?

Thank you in advance!

jbrumberg

Archaon-
Welcome. I do not mean to sound cruel, but a little practice on a "toy" quad or simulators (I do/did) will give you the basic flying skills necessary to save you a lot of money in repair and replacement costs. Or better yet a "toy" quad that can bind with a programmable Tx. These things are not as easy to fly as one would think. Orientation, control, etc. Those supposed "toys" are pretty complex. Do not skimp on a cheap Tx. The Tx sets your RC destiny. You have some major league skills on your plate, but .... There is a lot of cheap and easily modifiable stuff readily available to get you started on the practical skills like flying (which I am still learning and practicing still and forever) and in the meantime research, research, research. With any RTF, ARF, BNF, or build there are no perfect solutions, only approximations. There are trade offs- hover and flight performance, payload, flight time, etc,. Do not stop on the quadcopter build project though. Present a list of components for review and/or ask for suggestions and you'll get a lot of suggestions and a lot of suggestions as to ways to spend your money.

I hope this helps

Jay

Last edited by a moderator:

archaon

I will get a cheaper one at first, I promise! ;) I won't buy the more expensive one in at least four months from now but I'm a guy who likes to plan ahead =)

I just now found this other model that looked pretty neat:
http://www.firstpersonview.co.uk/quadcopters/dji-phantom-2-zenmuse-h3-2d

By the looks of it does not offer any room for alteration but in every other aspect it looks brilliant imo and I think it would suit me pretty well. Is there any way I could get a livefeed from that quadcopter to some goggles?

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Welcome to the forum and your future obsession! :)

great at advice from jay in the post above. Practice makes (ckoser to) perfect, and will save you money for sure. With the budget you mention, you have some pretty incredible options. The last one you linked to (phantom 2) is I believe "closed" to a degree, meaning customization is more difficult. Within your budget, it seems that you could be looking toward a high end company that basically builds a custom multirotor for you based in their stock choices.

If you are looking for video recording, as well as FPV (the video feed/goggle scenario you describe) you may want to look into some of the H-Quad style like the TBS Discovery. I'm not sure how those quads play into your need to haul stuff, but they are designed for everything else you've mentioned.

As as jay mentioned, get to researching. There are hundreds of options out there, you probably want to narrow it down based on your ultimate goal.

good luck!

those 2 copters look pricey for what they are, the 1st one doesnt even include flight controller or radio or nothin.. didnt look at the second one too hard. id build it your self

I am new to this hobby as well.
I have done tons of research on this. I have a few fun toys.
My fav little quad toy is the Estes Proto X .. its only around 35.00 to 40.00 and a blast...

I am currently building a DJI F550 custom build. Here is what I am looking at ordering.

PS - the DJI Evo 800 is amazing... those cost 5-7 grand fully outfitted.. my ultimate dream copter...

Turnigy receiver control switch. For LED's

DJI ESC ESC : 150:00

(6)Graupner 11x5 Props : 72.00

DJI zenmuse h3-2d Go Pro gimbal : 369.00

Naza v2 + GPS : 428.00

pulse 4s 6600 mah 14.8 li-po battery [PLU35-660042P] : 130.00

Go pro black 3+ : 400.00

GAUI Retractable Folding Landing Gear : 129.00

Phoenix Flight Gear CarbonGear GAUI Retract Adapter Kit For DJI F450/F550 +More : 45.00

LED lights : to decide what kind

[FONT=arial, sans-serif] AR8000 8-Channel DSMX Receiver by Spektrum 129.00
[/FONT]

Fatshark FPV : 400.00

Deans plugs ? bullets wiring ?

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
One thing to keep in mind is that most experts would consider hand picking parts to be the best route - and often more cost effective.

For instance: if you are getting the DJI frame, you can still get different high quality motors by a different manufacturer. Depends on how much research you're willing to do.

The budgets laid out in this post are pretty high - especially if they are your first builds. Remember there is a VERY good chance you'll crash this thing, possibly multiple times. So jumping to a hexacopter increases the potential for more broken parts.

Obviously these choices are yours. I personally built a quad with inexpensive parts so that I could get familiar with these larger multirotors. I chose cheap for economics and playing it safe. I have crashed several times, so I now don't regret starting off cheaper.

My next build will be far more ambitious - and by that point I will have proven to myself (and my wallet) that I can handle these things.

If you guys are new to larger multirotors - please promise that the gimbals and expensive cameras will NOT be on the craft when you're doing your initial flights :)

Thank you for the advice. I do know that in any hobby you are going to eventually have a crash or 3 :)
That parts list for the F550 is what I am going to build eventually but for now going to train on something more cost effective.
Sorry if my post was out of line.

archaeon,

As a fellow electrical engineer going on 30+ years in the business and very involved with Multirotors may I suggest first you consider an entry level item then work your way up.
Two come to mind: http://www.bladehelis.com/350qx/ and the DJI Phantom series. These are hard to break, cheap to fix and when you get tired of them you can sell them for a good price, then work your way up.

Now if you are fortunate enough to major in electrical power you will have a good understanding of speed torque curves and the challenge before you with respect to achieving high lift capability along with long flight times...... May I suggest you work diligently with eCalc for multirotors to gain perspective on all the tradeoffs between the multiple factors needing to be analysed to achieve what you are looking for....

Or simply throw down a big wad of cash and buy an RTF or ARF system. But make sure you get a top quality RC radio system 2.4Ghz fhss with long range. A cheap park flyer radio will have limited range and will not be as trustworthy. Send me a private message for further suggestions.

I started off with the Blade MQX, moved up to the DJI F550 FlameWheel with NAZA and eventually a Cinestar8 c/w the new DJI A2 system......

Last edited by a moderator:

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Is a Spectrum DX5e considered a "Cheap" park flyer?
it did come with my Apprentice.

Thanks!

Yes, it is. You'd need a 6 channel at the very least. I would go for 7 or 8 channels as you can make use of all the functions then. I had my DX6i for 5 years but have now given it away to a friend. It had just enough channels for most things. Ideally you want some three position switches. More than one is ideal.

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
I only have Spektrum stuff so yes, I like it. Haven't tried any other brands so a bit one sided in my experience.

Spektrum are good radio's you now have the DX9 which will let you know what mode your in by talking to you e.g Fail safe or gps mode.
Ive been using spektrum for year DX6i then DX8 and now i use a DX18 for one man ops mixed with the DX8 for two man ops.
The more channel the better in my eyes.
I also have never used Futaba's my pal has one they are smaller than DX8, but I've not flown with it and he also has little flight time with it.
I would say get a DX9 or DX8 if you can't afford the DX9.
hope thats of some help to you