What is accepted as "normal" motor vibration?

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I honestly never felt for motor vibes with the props off. But with these new iger 2216's I spun them up and couldn't help but notice how much vibration the arms had. In theory, shouldnt a balanced motor have little to no feel-able vibration? There is only the magnetic field to keep the motor from spinning freely, right? Our resident heli genius, Kloner mentioned that he has tried bolting the prop adapter on in all 3 different positions to try and find the best sweet spot. Hard to imagine a machined block of aluminum would be that out of whack! I guess the real question here is, on a dialed in motor, can you grab the arm and feel much? Of course one has to define "much."

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Clearly the hoversport handled the same setup MUCH better than the naza. You have told me this a million times, I know. Now with the Naza, no matter where I set the gains, the thing is just not dialed in and smooth. it is jumpy and very responsive. I'll try balancing via the prop adapter. Not sure of how to really balance a motor other than a lot of trial and error.

I think tiger motors can have some quality control issues. Make a video of the motor the is worse than others and I bet they would cover a warranty replacement. I have 3 duds sitting in the parts box.

PaNt

Check the bearings..!

if you here this noise you have a little problem..!

These were new bearings but they were damaged..! I baught new Abec 5 Ezo and now i dont hear any sound..!

And the vibes are a lot better..!

Check these 2 vibe diagrams...! The old and the new..! (the old is not the bad of the pic its another one..! The bad had vibe 0.090-0.12 :) :) )

Attachments

• viba.jpg
    viba.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 262
  • viba 0.jpg
    viba 0.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 258
Last edited by a moderator:

The only thing I like about DJI kit is what the NAZA does, it's capability. I may be wrong but there's nothing to touch it's spec for the same money. BUT, I don't like the motors. Apart from vibrating in some cases quite badly, they don't sound at all healthy. Mine sound like a coffee grinder with gravel inside on my GoPro.

mrbonk

Your motors should feel silky smooth when they run. If they don't, they're out of balance. The free iSeismometer app is useful for this purpose. Just do one motor at a time....it's worth the effort to get a smooth flying craft. Same deal with props. Use a good balancer like the Dubro one and do the hubs too. Balanced motors, props and prop hubs is a must if you want to do any camera work.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Are there any tips for HOW to balance motors? Do I paint tar on one side and roll them in feathers? I have no idea how to do this and honestly seems like a trial and error fiasco.

The ziptie seems like a good idea. I do this mounted right on the ship. I run up one motor at a time. I check it without tape, then add a piece of tape. I check the vibration, then move the tape 1/8 a turn around the motor. Go until you find the right side to add weight. Switch to a sticky tape and add weight until you see it go from getting better, to getting worse. Long process but soooo worth it.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Would be much easier with the motors off the heli. I am certainly not looking forward to yanking all 8 off and making a test stand for each. I think it might be easier to pull the signal wires from the FC and mount the iphone direct to the arm. Especially since I have a coaxial, I would need to shut down one motor per arm to get an accurate test. Thanks for the link though. There needs to be something better than electrical tape as well. I'll probably end up using this aluminum ducting tape that is super sticky. I used it to try and balance my Xoars.

PaNt

Would be much easier with the motors off the heli. I am certainly not looking forward to yanking all 8 off and making a test stand for each. I think it might be easier to pull the signal wires from the FC and mount the iphone direct to the arm. Especially since I have a coaxial, I would need to shut down one motor per arm to get an accurate test. Thanks for the link though. There needs to be something better than electrical tape as well. I'll probably end up using this aluminum ducting tape that is super sticky. I used it to try and balance my Xoars.

THe best is the tape...1 Nothing else can do the Job good... The tireup is for the 10$ motors of China..! For oute motor the Zip tie doesnt help..!

mrbonk

Would be much easier with the motors off the heli.

If you are able to shut down the other motors so you can do one at a time (I disconnect the bullets from the ESC to the motors on these smaller craft.....I just pull the signal wires for the ESC on the larger craft that are hard wired), you can place the iPhone on the craft to see the vibes (I put mine on the center plate. I run the motor up with no tape and see what readings I get. Then I place a piece of heavy tape (canopy tape, used for pylon racing RC planes) on the motor and run again. I move the tape 1/4 of a turn around the motor until I find the place where it makes the most difference, then zero in on the correct spot by moving the tape backwards and forwards a small amount at a time. Then I progressively add small squares of tape until the vibes are gone. Then I wrap the entire motor can in mylar tape to hold the balance tape in place. I guess you could always weigh the balance tape and then grind away some of the motor can on the opposite side until you achieve the same result. I'm paranoid about getting debris into the motor doing that though, so I just use the tape instead.

Tomstoy2

IrisAerial, here's the deal with balancing motors.
It's worth doing, and a huge time consumming pain in the *** to do.
When you thing you've got it right, it's great, but one little scuff up with the ground will throw that motor back out, as will time as the bearings wear out.

I did it to my Tigers and am glad I did it, but not as glad as I was when I finally finished doing them.

If your Tigers have the manufacturers tape wrapped around them, remove it, clean the barrel up really well. That's usually all it takes, really.
If the motor does not have the tape, but is engraved instead, then to balance them you will need to add some weight to the back side to compensate.
The prop hub needs to be on, whole thing balanced as a unit.

Bearings are always the first suspect once you have removed the tape, or added, and the balance has not come out right.
Try to keep a few bearings, prop hubs and Snap ringe on hand, as getting them for Tigers is reall hit and miss.
Foxtech is the best place I've found.

Once a motor is properly balanced, when running, it will just sing to you. It just sounds happy.

What I have found out since balancing my motors is;

1. If the motor has tape, just remove it, it will pretty much balance out smooth as can be afterward.

2. Motor mounting is a critical area. 4 screws securing the motor is a lot better than 2, and using a washer to create more load grip to the mount is highly recommended.

3. Bearings are always suspect. There are lots of gripes out there about EZO bearings, but what I've experienced is that once you have a good set installed they last a very long time.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
What are you guys using to balance motors after you determine where they are off? Clearly a piece of tape is not reliable. Maybe the aluminum tape is adherent enough but that makes me uncomfortable. Epoxy? I will try using the zip-tie as it is a great idea for locating the area of interest. I just wasnt sure how to permanently add the weight to that spot. Hell, why not just glue the zip-tie in place?

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
..............If your Tigers have the manufacturers tape wrapped around them, remove it, clean the barrel up really well. That's usually all it takes, really....................

i always wondered about those friggin' wrappers! thanks for the info.

bart

Tape, shielding, copper, EMI,RFI,adhesive, 10mm
3M do a copper adhesive tape 3/8" (10mm) wide and 0.002" thick (without paper backing) and this is good for balancing motors, I use it. Sticks like sh*t to blanket.
First I use scotch tape to do the balancing (its cheaper to cut up & trial and error with), once I am happy I remove the tape from motor, weigh it and cut a piece of copper tape with equiv. weight and stick it on motor.
By the way the copper tape weighs 0.214 grams per 100mm without the paper backing.
It's available in smaller quantities here:-
http://www.multiwiicopter.com/products/brushless-multicopter-motor-balancing-tape-5-piece
but he charges double what you would pay per foot in a roll.
Regards - bruce