What is a good way to go into Heavy Lifters w/o spending thousands?

Rick~K

Free Bird
I'm flying a DJI F550 now and love this new adventure in MRC's. I want to move into something larger, a Hex or Octo in a heavy lift model. What is a good way to go and stay under a few thousand dollars? I'm wanting to do FPV and AV and I'm not sure what ranges yet. I like the idea of the range 2.4GHz Tx.

Thanks!

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
If you can do good quality video in a heavy lift package for under $3000 then I'd say patent it and sell as many as you can!

Seriously though, video is a challenging goal for anyone to set and trying to do a full rig for under $3000 will be tough. Not to say it can't be done but expect a lot of tinkering and late nights trying to get things to function as well as you'd like them to.

A lot of the components that you'd need can be purchased used like the video Tx and Rx as well as flight control boards and frames. I'd buy the motors and props new as well as the batteries. Radios can be bought used as there is a lot of new stuff coming out lately.

Good luck and feel free to ask any questions you might have.

Bart

What do you want to haul? heavy lifter is subjective, build what you want to lift, dont overkill just because you can, I made the mistake and did a 2400 watt octo which was pointless as I was only needing to haul a NEX5 camera...so I downsized to a hexa which is portable

If you want to earn a living from it, plan to completely replace your gear once a year for crashes etc...

Ive just brought a couple of $37 fold-able hexa frames from omgfly which I will tinker with and will sure do the trick, I will also look at getting a DIY Xaircraft hexa which can more then haul my NEX5, your 550 is great for throwing around a point and shoot...I even think it could haul a NEX camera!

Dont get caught up in the heavy lifter game as its overrated IMHO, build what you lift

Cheers!

Jas

Last edited by a moderator:

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
If its a Hexa you want I have a fully built MK flight system with telemetry and MX20 TX that I may sell for the right money..

Dave

Dave
I'm flying a DJI F550 now and love this new adventure in MRC's. I want to move into something larger, a Hex or Octo in a heavy lift model. What is a good way to go and stay under a few thousand dollars? I'm wanting to do FPV and AV and I'm not sure what ranges yet. I like the idea of the range 2.4GHz Tx.

Thanks!

Rick~K

Free Bird
At this point I'm not sure what way to go, I'm still having fun with the F550. But I guess I'd probably be looking at a camera like the NEX 5 or Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2. Maybe even just upgrade the 550, I like the looks of this Durchmesser 950mm but I's sure it would be over limit of what I'm looking to spend, I may have to stretch my bounds a little. :nevreness:

Last edited by a moderator:

Rick~K

Free Bird
Always thinking about a nice hex, but I need to sale my T-rex 700 gasser kit first.
Thanks for the offer!

If its a Hexa you want I have a fully built MK flight system with telemetry and MX20 TX that I may sell for the right money..

Dave

Dave