What did you do in your workshop last night?

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
We've got a pretty good thread going over at GiantScaleNews.com where we're posting what we do in our shops each night. If you don't really feel like devoting the time and effort to a full blown build thread or you've got a fleet and don't really build every night then this is the place for you!

Let's see what you guys are doing in your shops...new projects, experiments, repairs, whatever......it's motivation for the rest of us!

Bart

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Not exactly Multirotor related YET, but I plan on making some MR and gimbal plates with this bad boy very soon....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 195

F

fengshuidrone

I used to build machines for a living and sometimes we used that 80/20 aluminum stuff. Same with the ball screws, servo motors, flex couplings and routing spindle. Is it CNC controlled? Are you going to use it as an end mill or a router? Are you cutting carbon fiber with it? Looks pretty solid. Did you design and build or is it purchased already built? (I just retired from that job 6 months ago because of failing health. I miss doing that stuff though.)

That looks very nice! I have been looking at a getting an x carve or a shapeoko 3. Just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I built the machine from individual parts based on a "bundle" called the Plate Machine, put together by the guy over at OpenBuilds parts store. Because of the smaller size and design, it's quite a bit cheaper than some of the bigger Gantry style routers/mills (shapeoko, Ox etc). OpenBuilds are good people - helpful and plenty of parts to modify any design.

It's CNC driven (the CAM and interface software is currently driving me mad!), and for now uses a cheap Dewalt 611 hand router for the cutting. If things go well, I'll see about upgrading to a 400w, speed controlled spindle with 48v power supply for lower RPM. The basic design is slightly different in that it's hybrid , with spindle moving on Z and X axis - but the bed moves on the Y axis. All acme screws - ball screws were just too expensive - but I believe still an improvement over the belt driven variety. It's meant specifically for plates under 1.5" thick, roughly 12" x 12" square. I set it up for milling mostly - but I'm sure holiday/birthday presents may see some sign routing :)

I'm hoping to be able to test with wood, but quickly move to G10, aluminum and eventually carbon fiber when I get the vacuum filtration system setup (made from a discarded home central vac unit).

It ain't my 1300lb Powermatic, but it should be fun and MUCH easier to move around :)

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
The advantage would be a single drive line for the Y axis - as opposed to the typical dual-side drive for most gantry machines. 1 less drive assembly (acme screw, stepper, beatings etc) kept the cost down - and for the purposes of working on modest sized plates - no need really for the additional cost.

But the sacrifice is that the power to drive that axis is now limited. So despite being able to increase the size if I wanted, eventually I would hit a limit of what the single drive could handle. Because it's now moving the workpiece as well as the bed itself, instead of just the router/mount assembly.

Bartman

sat down yesterday (finally!) and drew up the frame plates for my take on a 250 class FPV racer. i'd post pics but what fun would that be to give it away before it's even on the bench being built!?

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
sat down yesterday (finally!) and drew up the frame plates for my take on a 250 class FPV racer. i'd post pics but what fun would that be to give it away before it's even on the bench being built!?

Nice! Looking forward to seeing these plates turned into a competitive racer!

Bartman

finalized the Rev1 frame plates and sent them to @Kilby to be cut! also worked out a few minor details about mounting this and arranging that.

this is an open thread, what did you get done last night? inquiring minds want to know!

Bartman

i'm not sure which machine he has but he's been making his own stuff for a while now. i'm sure he can provide a little guidance or you can start a new thread and see what our community has to offer in the way of experience (hint, hint)

eskil23

Wikipedia Photographer
Burned my thumb on the soldering iron when trying to hook up the power to my video tx.
My F550 now have two bec voltage regulators. One to provide five volt to the hdmi-converter and one to provide twelve volt to the vtx. Most other gizmos requiring 12v run happily on 14.8v, but not the vtx. Got to do something about the wiering to the gimbal as well. its start to resemble a birds nest.