well here we go

Aanayab1

My name is antonio barrera. I'm getting back into the r/c hobbies(now that i can actually afford to, well theoretically...). I wanted to fly planes when younger but now multirotors have got me. I went through cars, hovercrafts, Styrofoam planes and foolishly attempted a small helicopter. I've been absent from the hobbies about 12-15 yrs and the technology I once knew has obviously vanished. I started reading about two months ago in attempt to get my feet wet again. I started a 250mm quad build and will briefly describe my progress. It's a lumenier qav250, voodoo 12amp simonk esc's, voodoo 2000kv gold series motors, cc3d atom fc and lumenier 1300mAh batteries. Also have a battery checker/alarm. I can't decide on what tx/rx to go with or what lipo charger either. I would like to keep the tx under 250 but could come off a little more cash for the right reasons. The rx would like to keep under 150 but the same cash situation goes as the tx.
Thank you for your time reading my first published book.
Antonio

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
IMHO, It's hard to beat the Frsky Taranis for under $250 (with the X8R receiver). Great functionality, features and expandable to very good telemetry for a fraction of the cost compared to the competition.

With your experience in RC years ago, there will be a learning curve compared to the older radios, but it's worth the investment in time.

Good luck and fly safe!

Aanayab1

Got the taranis plus and rx combo. Ordered today the frsky gps v2 that plugs in via s-port. I'm really liking all the personalization with the new tx. I have had a few flights and then played with the PIDs and seems to fly quite nice. There is a slight oscillation if i fly backward at high speed then stop. It happens as i abruptly return to hover but it is a work in progress.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Nice. I think you'll appreciate the flexibility and some of the telemetry. The current sensor is my favorite - being able to track the consumption being used while in the air.

Have fun and fly safe.

crayfellow

For your charger, I got on just fine for awhile with a Traxxas 6amp charger (which is quite similar to a lot of inexpensive "4 button" chargers) we happened to have for RC trucks. It's AC/DC so it does not require a separate power supply. It's best fit for charging 2-4S lipos at 1-2C. I use 1300mAh batteries with my 250 as well and you would do fine with a charger like this.

I've only got a PowerLab 6 now for 6S 10Ah batteries for larger craft and parallel charging in general. This type of charger requires a separate dedicated power supply that takes AC power and generates DC voltage to power the charger. Chargers are rated at a given max current, but this ultimately depends on how much power your supply is giving.

If you want to spend $150 or less on a charger you could look at a relatively inexpensive AC/DC option, or get something like an iCharger 206B with a small power supply. It would be tough to keep the iCharger+power supply below 150 though unless you are up for taking a used computer power supply and wiring it up DIY style (there is a lot of info about how to do this safely).

So the charger really depends on what you want to do today and in the foreseeable future, and how much effort you feel is worth putting into the solution.

Hope to help!

Aanayab1

Well my mind is a bit blown about the frsky gps v2. I can not find info on calibration. Sitting at 2' above sea level it tells me the quad is at -48' then when it calls out again 10 sec later it will say 6' then repeat that a few times and then it calls out another random negative alt. That will continue at random as long as i keep the craft powered. The speed is accurate but 5-10 sec delayed. The distance is same thing as alt. but even more random. If i reset the telemetry while stationary it improves but is still random. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
I ended up getting a REFLEX lipo charger to allow flight and give me time to save for a proper charging set up.

well i built my 230mm fpv racer for $120 dollars (to fly) plus fpv gear. and i am truely impressed with the little thing. I run turnigy 1300mAh 45-90c and i get 7 mins of flight time. It is 1806 motors RTQ ESC 12amp Naze 32 flight contoller and 5x3x3 props

Aanayab1

Wayne, it sounds like you got a great deal or know how and where to shop. Although I am curious as to why you decided to post that information? It is good to know that it is possible to fly on a strict budget if I find myself in such a position.

Hobbyking.com and readytoflyquads.com try those sights. i am building a s500 right now for under $250 to include 3 3700mAh batteries.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Not to side track the thread back to the original topic, but.... :)

You may have a bad GPS unit. I only use the vario - but it's been pretty accurate.

Apparently this is a known issue with the GPS when it's bouncing between satellites. GPS doesn't seem like the best measure of altitude.