Waterproof Mulitrotors with Liquipel?

F450

I know this technology is new and only in use for small electronics like cellphones, but it should work for larger electronics like mulitrotors. I think it would be awesome to fly over water and not have to worry about the replacing the electronics after a water crash. What do you guys think?

Here's the website: http://www.liquipel.com/

Last edited by a moderator:

If you read more about it, it wouldn't work.

Liquipel™ is a Nano-Coating that is applied though a propriety process. This process starts by placing devices into the chamber of the Liquipel™ Machine. The Machine then removes all the air to create a vacuum, a special formula is then introduced as a vapor. The vapor then permeates the entire device inside and out, Liquipel™ then bonds to the device on a molecular level, leaving your device watersafe™ for years to come.

Unless they start making a chamber bigger than just an iphone or ipad

kloner

Aerial DP
motor, flight controller, esc, receiver,,, what else needs it?

bet it'd cost more than a rig

Malcr001

I agree kloner, you dont need to put the whole multicopter in just the electronics will do and it would fit within a small space. I just dont want to be the guinea pig that tests it lol.

It costs $89 to waterproof an ipad I cant see it costing anything more than that.

Eoin

This is interesting. I've often thought I'd like to build a waterproof rig.
My questions would be,
1. How might it affect motor performance ?
2. How might it affect ESC heat ? Can it effectively let the heat dissipate without undue stress on the ESC or the waterproof coating ?
3. What about the barometer ? Could it still function correctly with this coating ?
Anyone ?
Eoin

jes1111

I think if you wanted to make an MR that could fly in (light) rain it would not be too difficult - electronics covered with ventilation only from the underside, etc. Similar problems to waterproofing the electrics of a car. It's the motors that would be the headache - you'd presumably need to craft some kind of cover between the prop and the motor bell to stop water getting into the windings. Interesting project ;)

Stacky

The Dex quad. Im not sure if he is still making them, they were pretty expensive but the ones I saw were very cool.