warning 10" props do not use

BerndM

Maybe you'd be so kind as to inform us, the uninformed masses, the prop particulars. There's a zillion different types of 10" props. :upset:

Prop Maker
Prop type
Prop model
Prop size & pitch

Inquiring minds want to know :tennis:

BerndM

I just got some GemFan 10x4.5 carbon filled props and I was surprised the hubs were so small. A bit smaller diameter but thicker than the DJI 10" props.
The holes had to be opened up to 8mm which made the hub EVEN smaller.
But I guess they are quite popular and people have been getting great results.
I've got my fingers crossed.
BTW..I'm getting 6 1/2 to 7 minutes flight time out of my 3S-2200 Lipos with the 10x4.5's. Seems pretty good.

skipper1

What I don't understand is with thread after thread of reports of the DJI props exploding in mid air, and even the good hobby shops warning their customers not to use the DJI props because they're too brittle, why would anyone use them risking hundreds of dollars in equipment.
Another thing I don't understand is why would DJI even expect us to use them after all the reports of them failing?
Another thing I don't understand is how has DJI avoided a costly lawsuit for selling shoddy props with their quads?
What's the difference in a prop failing in mid air and a wheel coming off your car going 70mph? Has anyone held DJI accountable for their loss of equipment because their props failed?

There's no way you could ever make a legal case for it. A: They are in China...you couldn't hold them accountable B: We are all flying "toys".

But it is a real shame that they never address previous problems (props, gimbal jitters, GPS down south, etc) before moving on to new products. We will be perpetual guinea pigs for life at this rate.

skipper1

You're right, they are in China and they are toys. In the past, hasn't McDonald's been held responsible for some 2 year old kid swallowing a happy meal toy, that was made in China?
I know it sounds like I'm picking on DJI, and I am. It is ridiculous that we spend as much money on these "TOYS" to have them fall from the sky because someone didn't properly test their props. What's it going to take, one falling from the sky because of bad props and hitting the windshield of a soccer mom with a minivan full of kids.
I have an F330 that's been sitting in the box for a couple of months, when I get around to putting it together, no way am I going to put DJI props on it. With the kind of luck I have, mine is the one that will go through the minivan windshield.

Ultimately we are the ones responsable for our actions. In no way am I trying to defend DJI, just stating facts. We hit a soccer mom, the first question would be why we were flying near them. The prop situation really sucks but any company wouldn't be held accountable. The only way for any company to pay the price is by folks no longer buying their product. Quality control before selling to the masses is the biggest need in this industry and DJI will never be part of the elite till they understand that fact. Release your products after your testing.... that's not up to us to do.

skipper1

I think voting with your wallet is the best and it needs to start right here in the U.S right now. When someone wants to get a new F450, tell your dealer you want them to knock $34.00 of the price and he keeps the props. F450 comes with a set of both 10" & 8", right,I'm not real sure?
The dealer says he won't do it, you say you'll have to keep the quad and go somewhere else, or make them guarantee the props are safe and will not explode in mid air. When the dealers start getting the message, China will know about it and forced to make adjustments in price and quality.

chipwich

I had a couple of the 10" DJI's come apart in flight, and found two more about to go during a post flight inspection, but after chatting with Tony at RC-Drones, realized that I'd been putting too much torque on them. They don't really need much, since they have the flat shafts, so now I just lightly snug them. Since moving to to 4S packs and the 8" props, I have had any trouble with the DJIs. The eights with a 4S 6000 mAh 25-50C pack has amazing punch on an F550 even with gear, gimbal, and GoPro with remote backpack. Treat gently and don't use thread lock and they are fine, IMO. YMMV.

Last edited by a moderator:

What's are the best propellers for our Quadcopter, I've a couple of 10x45 EPP Style composite and to be honest not very good, not so stable.
View attachment 4831

Attachments

• Propeller 1045.jpg
    Propeller 1045.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 246

Digitech

the dji,s are fine
the problem sometime occurs when the motors are made to the wrong sizes.
there are very small differences in size.
a prop should slide on , not press on..
if it needs to be pressed dont mount them , ream them a bit..

Graupners: best to use are 8x5 for 4S 550 9 x5 4S 550/450 10 x 5 450/550

Digitech

we only have DJI
and our own frames and motors

all is dependand on span , weight , motors , controllers.

so we all figured out for graupner and droidworx and jaf frames but not anything else

I can't believe the amount of denial surrounding these DJI 10" & 8" props. I have had 3 blades shear and it is definitely caused by a badly designed/engineered prop. And it's nothing to do with over tightening either. I have no complaint with the DJI products as such but the props are absolutely rubbish. Just buy Graupners, which here in the UK are about twice the price of spare DJI 10" props and about 10,000 times better. Oh, and you can even shave with them but they don't shear off in normal flight.

Torque66

I don't get it.... have about 40 flights on my !0" props.... they seem to preform well even after aboot 5 or 6 minor crashes.

And i fly hard and pound the sticks....