Want to build a larger multirotor

Skyguy

Hi, guys!

I'm kinda new to the forum so if this subject has been covered before, please forgive me. I'm interested in building a larger multirotor -- preferably a quad in the 30" or larger category (I think that's something bigger than 700mm). Purpose? For advanced training and possibly photography. My eyesight isn't what it used to be so larger is better.

I am new to multis but have flown R/C fixed wing for more than forty-five years. (Yeah, I know . . . before the dinosaurs! That goes for full scale, too!)

I've looked at the HobbyKing 666 but am skeptical of the China connection; I have also researched the Turbo Ace Matrix and while it's fantastic, but I don't think I need THAT much quality! So do you have any ideas? Size is important. (Hmmmm . . . where have I heard that before?!)

If the frame is appropriate, I will work with my local hobby shop to buy the motors, EFCs, EMCs and everything else. (I'm a local businessman and want to buy as much as possible within my community. If something is not available locally, of course I'll go elsewhere.)

I hope that gives you enough information to offer your expertise. Your help is graciously appreciated.

Thanks,

Bruce

NeilM

Ive never had a problem with hobby king, some do aparently but ive been happy with their service.
Ive seen some "Large" scale versions on youtube, you might want to do a search their for quads in general.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I've had both good and bad experiences with HK. But my frame arrived in tact and on time. The one thing I'd mention is that my HK frame is heavy compared to many others. Mine is only a quad, maybe the heavy lifters are different - but I'd suggest looking closely at the weight of what they have to offer. You'll wrestle with it forever unnecessarily if you but heavy.

Good of luck and have fun.

SoCal Blur

You will have more options if you look at AliExpress..... I have had great luck with purchasing the Cinestar Octocopter airframe.
AliExpress is a central depot for many manufacturers and FamousHobbies Shop is excellent.
They also sell the Cinestar Hexacopter if you dig deeply enough into AliExpress... but there are many others.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/H001...pter-frame-kit-without-motors/1013825004.html

One thing you have to be careful about with AliExpress is that they will advertize DHL 5 day shipping to the US and then, after you order, they will send you an email saying that they can't ship DHL due to US customs and that it will take 4 weeks to get what you ordered via Hong Kong post. It's very deceptive because it gets you to buy from them, thinking you'll have your order quickly, only to find out that its just like every other China based retailer.

With HobbyKing, they have both a US/Canada and International Warehouse. If you can find something you want in the US/Canada warehouse (you can select warehouses) you'll get it fairly quickly and won't have to pay the high shipping charges that you would if it shipped from the International Warehouse.

gtranquilla

RadioActive
HobbyKing's socalled US/Canada warehouse is just a US warehouse trying to distribute to most of North America. That is an archaic old school concept from the last millennium. But because the USA warehouse has a strict policy on using UPS exclusively, it is not rational for Canadians to purchase from US warehouse due to prohibitive additional brokerage and shipping fees..... Hence I buy many dozens of items directly from the International warehouse in HK and save myself hundreds of dollars. IF the USA warehouse would change their strict shipping policy I would buy from them..... but they will not listen to me or others here in Canada..... a very bad business policy IMHO. But then again the Canadian market for them is only 10% of their overall market. And I have never needed or been required to consider DHL with HK International warehouse. Things appear one way in USA but different elsewhere.

One thing you have to be careful about with AliExpress is that they will advertize DHL 5 day shipping to the US and then, after you order, they will send you an email saying that they can't ship DHL due to US customs and that it will take 4 weeks to get what you ordered via Hong Kong post. It's very deceptive because it gets you to buy from them, thinking you'll have your order quickly, only to find out that its just like every other China based retailer.

With HobbyKing, they have both a US/Canada and International Warehouse. If you can find something you want in the US/Canada warehouse (you can select warehouses) you'll get it fairly quickly and won't have to pay the high shipping charges that you would if it shipped from the International Warehouse.

SoCal Blur

HobbyKing's socalled US/Canada warehouse is just a US warehouse trying to distribute to most of North America. That is an archaic old school concept from the last millennium. But because the USA warehouse has a strict policy on using UPS exclusively, it is not rational for Canadians to purchase from US warehouse due to prohibitive additional brokerage and shipping fees..... Hence I buy many dozens of items directly from the International warehouse in HK and save myself hundreds of dollars. IF the USA warehouse would change their strict shipping policy I would buy from them..... but they will not listen to me or others here in Canada..... a very bad business policy IMHO. But then again the Canadian market for them is only 10% of their overall market. And I have never needed or been required to consider DHL with HK International warehouse. Things appear one way in USA but different elsewhere.

That's good info... I didn't know that. Fortunately, the OP is in the US so it's fine for him. Sucks for Canadians, though. One other downside to the HK US Warehouse is that it doesn't have the selection of the International Warehouse. But for the US, shipping costs and shipping times are pretty high from the International warehouse.

cootertwo

Hobby King. Hong Kong. HK=HK= slow boat=high shipping costs=long wait. If you look around, there are a lot of good reputable dealers in the US. I always click on the "home" link, and look for "location". And there are many that are just boiler room operations, taking orders, then placing their order to HK, to be drop shipped to you. I think there is a link around here, somewhere, listing "known" US suppliers.

SoCal Blur

Hobby King. Hong Kong. HK=HK= slow boat=high shipping costs=long wait. If you look around, there are a lot of good reputable dealers in the US. I always click on the "home" link, and look for "location". And there are many that are just boiler room operations, taking orders, then placing their order to HK, to be drop shipped to you. I think there is a link around here, somewhere, listing "known" US suppliers.

The difference is that HobbyKing's US warehouse actually is in the US and shipping times are relatively quick. The problem is that the US warehouse only has a fraction of what they sell. If you buy something from their international warehouse, then yes... very slow shipping.