Video footage produced using waypoint flight

snurre

Maybe I looked in the wrong place, but I was not able to find examples of video footage from waypoint flights.
This is the result from my attempt some days ago.

Elapse time from start to end of flightplan: 5m 20s
Distance of first flightplan: 1.75km (there are two flights in the video)
Height: 50m
Water crossing speed 10m/s, cruise around the holm: 6 m/s

Aircraft type: Octacopter (CarbonCore octa 1000 + Mega Radius 3 axis camera mount).
Camera: Sony CX740VE
Gimbal stabilizer: Picloc 3X Pro, on buggy beta firmware (waiting for better...)
The footage is slightly post stabilized (mostly due roll movements) using Adobe Premiere CS6 Warp stabilizer.

I invite all of you to share your waypoint videos here.
(I know there are threads like "show us what you shot", but they are not auto-flight specific...)

Tomas

Last edited by a moderator:

snurre

Thanks guys :)
I am encouraged by the results and I do believe that waypoint missions may be really useful for certain types of jobs.
Though I must admit it's a peculiar experience to put the radio aside and watch the drone cruize off by itself...

ChrisViperM

Swedes are the best....no doubt about it :tennis:

Did you in any way interfere during the flight, or you just just program the way-points and let it fly and do it's job......?

Chris

snurre

Thanks Cris :strawberry:

No, I did not interfere. I made a manual lift off and climb out to safe altitude. Then clicked GO. Did not touch radio until copter had arrived over last waypoint. Then again, manual landing. Unfortunately, due to a bug in the Picloc beta firmware, pano stabilization was offline, hence the occasional robotic pano feel when turning pass waypoints. I expect even better results once the picloc pano stab is online.

This goes for the first flight (video contains two flights).

The second one was a hybrid, due to terrain and radio coverage concerns. Flew it into position beyond (but not behind) a hill and once I checked solid radio coverage, I engaged waypoint flight. Point being I wanted to secure an unbroken slant line (line of sight) between me and the copter. This can be caluclated using terrain data and simple trigonometrics, but I choose a more empiric approach this time.

Swedes are the best....no doubt about it :tennis:

Did you in any way interfere during the flight, or you just just program the way-points and let it fly and do it's job......?

Chris

ChrisViperM

I was always under the impression that waypoin flying is rather useless and more a "toy" than a serious instrument....but your vid convinced me to look deeper into this.

BTW: That's a very nice area where you were flying....is it somewhere around Stockholm ?

Chris

snurre

Yes Cris, I think we should upgrade our view on WP mission as a serious tool.
Though it must be treated with much respect and consideration. There ARE pitfalls that may present very unpleasent surprises if not considered. And regulationwise line of sight concept still applies...

Yes, Stockholm area. More precisely Ekeroe, where I live. If you do copy and paste of these coordinates into google, you will be presented to the map / satellite view:
59.29144 17.77950

I was always under the impression that waypoin flying is rather useless and more a "toy" than a serious instrument....but your vid convinced me to look deeper into this.

BTW: That's a very nice area where you were flying....is it somewhere around Stockholm ?

Chris

ChrisViperM

At the moment I would only consider flying waypoints in an area where I could not harm anybody once the bird turns into a brick....on the other hand, in that area where you live there should be enough opportunities to fly waipoints and get beatiful nature footage...

This flight controls - regardless of the brand - are just not ready to be reliable enough to fly WP with a good feeling.....

Chris