Vibrations in Wind

Fat Corgi

Hello all of you out there,
I have a question with regards to vibrations that are mainly apparent in windy conditions. I'm not talking a gale, but more a constant breeze. Flying a small F550 with a GoPro set up, and am finding that the footage that I obtain from flights that are conducted when there is little to no wind are vastly superior to those when there is a decent "breeze". I am using 9" x 5" props that I have balanced. I haven't balanced the motors yet, but because the vibrations (which are causing a slight jello effect in my footage) are only present in slightly windier conditions, I didn't think that they would have an enormous affect.
Is there any other thoughts hovering around? :shame:

Fat Corgi

I think the vibrations are too high frequency for the gains to be affecting the footage. More of a slight jello-ing of footage in wind. Unless you can manipulate the gains for a zenmuse h3-2d.

Stacky

I think the vibrations are too high frequency for the gains to be affecting the footage. More of a slight jello-ing of footage in wind. Unless you can manipulate the gains for a zenmuse h3-2d.

One factor could be your vibration isolation system. If your vibration isolation is too soft then you end up with the sorts of wobbles which induce jello. The key to vibration isolation is to have it as stiff as you can get away with. Make sure your props and motors are balanced and then try to use as stiff a vibration isolation as you can.

Fat Corgi

That's a good point Stacky. I might try going up a stiffness (tehehe) on the vibration isolation and see if that improves things.

kloner

Aerial DP
stiffer iso makes jello, softter iso lets the camera physicaly move

it is totaly normal practice to lower the gain on your flight controller, not zen to smooth out footage in wind.... makes it a little less "locked in no wind" so people usually bump up the gains when the wind isn't there....

prop balance can also show up in wind or ff/fff as what you describe, if straight up jello came from nowhere it can be a motor bearing.... pull p and down on the motors and see if there is any play. if there is it's not a matter of if, but when that is going to get exponentialy worse.... that is the number one "flyaway" condition

jfro

Aerial Fun
I have some success with lower my gains when it's windy.

However, I'm still looking for the holy grail when flying under power as opposed to lightly gliding or floating. I get some boobles or hit and miss shakes when flying forwards and backwards. Not so much when sideways as I am usually flying slowing when going left to right or right to left.

Also, I find it helps to be slow with the sticks, although it doesn't help with straight flying.

I've tried compressing and also changing the dampening to tighter and looser. Looser seems to be a better mix.

I've been assuming, like the wind, when flying straight under some power, that I've not found the correct settings on the Alexmos as when I fly without it, I do not see vibrations on my MR on the ones I can check.

Slow flying is the great equalizer. I'm hoping someday we get this sorted out and can get movi like results with alexmos pricing... Maybe wishfull thinking, but it's my hope.