Verticopter

matwelli

something different, vertical quadcopter (or coaxial bicopter)

with some mixing, could be made to fly forward without pitching forward

Last edited by a moderator:

matwelli

Thanks guys, its been a fun build and has a lot more development potential.
The yaw is super smooth compared to a quad.

matwelli

Cool, I never saw that done before.

thats what i like to hear - its good to be doing something different :)

the top/bottom arms rotate, as FerdinandK said - what is really good, is they rotate in oposite directions, and this helps cancel out and "rocking" motion that you get with a normal bicopter

I may split the top shaft into two, so i also use the pivoting for yaw control, as prop tourque may not be enough with this much area exposed to the wind, that or tilt each motor 2-4 deg to help

Congrats on your innovative thinking. Without this kind of thinking, Multirotors would not exist!!!! And yes, it does seem to be quite stable. Keep it up!

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Quality upside down thinking! well guess u are upside down flying in teeshirts! its bloody freezing here!

GREAT stuff and to here DennyR's comments should really spur you on..

Great thinking Mat

Dave

matwelli

it hot, windy and muggy here today, an interesting combination

well i can never let stuff alone.... found the archillies heel tonite. shortened the vertical height to 180mm between pivots and a nasty side effect of the yaw and pitch interacting turned up. thinking back I had seen a mellow version when testing the I original frame.

what happens, when tilted back, and say it wants to yaw to the right ( cw) so it speeds up the ccw motors. problem is the ccw motor on the left is tilted back and induces a hard ccw yaw. the controller tries to fight it by speeding that same motor even more!

the answer will be to split one of the shafts and use motor tilt to yaw. but that adds to build complexity :(