USA insurance

kloner

Aerial DP
So what insurance policies are available for Rc aircraft? Like ones that are legit? Is it liability only or do they offer coverage on the craft or load carried? My cousin is a Stare Farm agent and I'm hesitant to ask anything about it till I understand this better. Need coverage on cams and sensors for the most part.

I remember reading Patrick mention he found out he wasn't protected so he had dropped his..... Then got robbed. What's the scoop?

Don't you see? That's the scam....

He sells you insurance, requires a full itemization of everything you've got.....then calls is nephew and passes along a shopping list of your house. :tennis:

....sT

Hi Kloner,

I am not up to speed with MR insurance in the States but I can tell you how things work in the full size business. I would be surprised if it is any different for UAV and MR.

First off, most of the time, the Law requires you to be covered for second party liability. This way, the others are covered (material and personal injuries) when you fly around. This is usually dirt cheap. If you want coverage for your equipment, It will cost you an arm and a leg! Usually, it costs you as much as everything you owned if you pay this 2 to 3 years. To add insult to a bleeding wallet, your premiums will drastically increase if you ever have a claim so you will likely pay as much as it would cost you if you replace the material lost/stolen. Most people say: I will take a chance with the equipment, If nohting happens in 2 - 3 years, I saved the total cost of my equipment.

The problem comes from the fact that some commercial business need insurance in order to get a license and this is the major item holding a lot of people back. In the full size helicopter world, a commercial coverage buys a brand new helicopter every 4 - 6 years... Operating costs are less expensive than insurance....

That give you something to keep in the back of your mind.

Hoping it helps.

Rodge

kloner

Aerial DP
I'm most worried about $50k cameras and $30k lidar sensors falling from the sky.

Ill call my cousin and see what he says

I know that i can get a rider in my home owners insurance to cover the rig and stuff from theft. We run a small business at home and that currently has a million dollar liability policy, but not sure how far it goes

tombrown1

The problem I think arises if you are doing this commercially. If you are trying to insure your gear for a business that is illegal and you try to place a claim, then there is a problem. If you're a hobbyist then your homeowners insurance might cover it.

kloner

Aerial DP
Is it illegal? I know it's unlawful, but that's not the same thing. When were out on the job, nobody is questioning much about it.

I flew in the Ronald Reagan library with the secret service all around me, we had permission from the curator and everything. Place was full of USAF planes like af1 and marine1. We didn't charge them, but the production comp paid them to use the place. What a weird bus to be in. Must be why it's so valuable

tombrown1

Well there are plenty of threads around debating that issue. I don't want to hijack this thread, but the evidence seemed pretty clear to me after doing quite a bit of research.

In my opinion insuring your gear is a bit of a gamble, unless you're a hobbyist.

Tom

kloner

Aerial DP
And I've been a part of them. Been flying in Hollywood, just not seeing the concern on set. None the less, Ill call my cousin in a bit and let you all know what he says

tombrown1

Randomly I just received a call from Hill and Usher Insurance. I guess I had inquired about their insurance a couple months ago.

They do liability only. They require auw to be less than 25 pounds. Also they require los flying.

$1000 gets you $500000 liability. $1250 gets you $1 million.

They specialize in rc insurance so I would think they would be comfortable following through on a claim.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Also try Aerialpak and Hartford. I don't know what would happen if you filed a claim. I think you are gonna get hosed honestly. The insurer will play dumb and pretend they had no idea what you were doing or that they cant insure commercial activity. It's a tough one. As I see it, insurance is only good to say you have it and get jobs. They are professionals at NOT paying you anything unless you have a 100% court defendable case. Plus, with all the goons crashing their wookongs around the world and filing claims, there is no way equipment coverage will even exist. Aerialpak stopped equip coverage months ago. I asked if my insurer for my business would cover the aerial game and they said no BUT, the will cover my equipment if it gets damaged in the vicinity of my business.

Last edited by a moderator:

kloner

Aerial DP
Well State Farm won't touch it with any length pole but at least got some advice on what to ask for. Thanks for the leads

Here is a Quote from the Hill and Usher website.
"Standard General Liability policies will exclude damage arising from the operation of aircraft; Aerial PakTM includes coverage for Remote Controlled Aerial Photography equipment provided the maximum payload does not exceed 25 pounds and the aircrafts engine delivers under eight (8) horsepower."
So, it specifically says it will exclude damage arising from the operation of Aircraft, but then gives a limit on the size of aircraft? These are the details they will not really talk straight about. You have to get these specifics in writing and have an independent attorney review it prior to signing. I think they will cover the heli and camera as long as the aircraft is not in use at the time or in any way a part of why there was a lose. I also don;t think that clients who require insurance will look beyond the fact that you have general liability for your company.

tstrike

pendejo grande
I do know that was about full size, but like it or not, it's the basis for production companies who want to hire you guys, trying to figure out what they need to carry (if they carry) on their end. It's a new technology that's been introduced to production so fast, nobody knows what their liability is. I wouldn't imagine you'd have to cover insurance on a camera unless you rented it, that should be covered by the mowner...errrr, owner.

ghaynes

Tahoe you are misreading the statement. What they are saying is that normal run of the mill General Liability insurance doesn't cover the aircraft. Makes sense because liability has nothing to do with 'hull' insurance. But Aerial Pak does have 'hull' coverage up to the size limits that they specify.

I don't have their insurance but if they are doing it like a full size aircraft there are two components. Liability, relatively inexpensive, and hull. The hull insurance on my last airplane was 2.5% of the insured value. Guessing they do something similar. So a $25K rig vs a $50K rig have different prices. And if like the aircraft insurance the percentage may be a bit lower on more expensive equipment.

Here's the link to their FAQ page. http://aerialpak.com/faq.jsp

Anyone care to share their pricing with AerialPak?