Upgrade Phantom GPS at same time as controller?

gDallasK

I'm just about to upgrade the controller in my Phantom to a Naza v2. Has anyone also upgraded the standard Phantom GPS unit / compass for the unit supplied with the Naza V2? Is it possible? Worthwhile? Did you remove it from its case and fit inside the Phantom or on the supplied carbon fibre pole?

Tahoe Ed

You would have to mount it outside the case. That is why DJI put the compass on the leg to get it away from interference inside the shell.

I'm just about to upgrade the controller in my Phantom to a Naza v2. Has anyone also upgraded the standard Phantom GPS unit / compass for the unit supplied with the Naza V2? Is it possible? Worthwhile? Did you remove it from its case and fit inside the Phantom or on the supplied carbon fibre pole?

There are many ways to approach this and the DJI manuals are not consistent:

When I built my Phantom X8 I replaced the GPS/Compass with an all in one unit as your asking. The NAZA-M V2 current instructions, http://download.dji-innovations.com/downloads/nazam-v2/en/NAZA-M_Quick_Start_Guide_v1.22_en.pdf
say 10cm from the propeller / motor so the original Phantom GPS location is more than 10cm from the propellers / motors

s4w0ur.jpg

But:

If you follow the NAZA-H current manual which uses the exact same GPS unit it says to put it on the boom so it is at least 30cm away from a motor. :dejection:

Long story short... I replaced my Phantom GPS/Compass unit with an all in one and other than a later compass failure which I have had occur on several crafts and can be corrected by replacing the GPS unit, it flew as well as with the remote mounted compass on the leg. I brought this to DJI's attention and was told it was not recommended yet the instructions say 10cm is ok.

Since the GPS housing is not used I remove some of the ribbing inside the Phantom shell so I can use 4mm High Gain GPS antennas resulting in a much quicker satellite lock and a better satellite reception.

25ovur8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
edit: misunderstood the point of the thread, there's already a bunch of modding going on so my comments were irrelevant.

The primary reason I changed out the GPS was so I could use my retracts I designed. After converting it to an X8 I was able to fly it with no landing gear or any choice of landing gear without the bother of remounting the remote compass. Back to the primary question, based on the 10cm requirement instructed by DJI and the fact that myself and several other followers have replaced the GPS the correct answer is yes, you can.

Also great for getting the legs out of the Zenmuse frame.

View attachment 15378

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 268

Seedler

HGT I've been trying to find you on other forums for a while now to ask you about this upgrade. I am experiencing difficulty getting a good gps lock with my phantom 1.1.1. I've done a few tests on the module and found the small backup battery to be dead. I'm going to replace it to see if it makes any difference. While I'm at it I was going to upgrade the antenna. My question is does it matter about the orientation of the new antenna? Does it have to stay within the square on the board?

I ask because the antenna I got has the writing upside down from the original antenna. Does that matter?

Thanks ,

Dee

First, the antenna should spec as well or higher than the OEM antenna. I purchased antennas with a gain 4X higher but had to remove the plastic ribs out of the shell which is responsible for cracking the OEM antennas anyway.
The orientation does not matter as that is established on boot up / warm up. I don't post in DJI forums anymore due to their ability to buy out the forum ownership with advertising.

Seedler

HGT thanks very much for the reply, I just needed a bit of reassurance from someone that did it. The antenna I got is a taoglas GP.1575.5.4.A.02 it has 3.5dBi of gain, so will hopefully give me better reception than the original.

Again, thank you very much for the reply,

Dee

Higher gain if not a larger antenna is achieved in thickness. Is your replacement thicker than the 2mm OEM?
I used to manufacture High Gain Antennas for 7 years.

Hey Pyromed, check out djiphantomforum.net and find thread for GPS module antenna patch replacement. Has all the info you need where to buy and how change out module plus upgrading to 4mm like in this thread. I order two of the 2mm and 2 4mm antennas to try out. If your location is in Henderson Nv let me know I'll help you out.