Understanding Batteries

speed_e

I'm still learning a lot about my new(ish) hobby and I want to learn about batteries.

The shop I purchased my gear from originally recommended a LIPO 2250mAh 4S 65C/130C Burst. After reading a few posts the latest batteries I've purchased are LIPO 3000mAh 4S 20C/30C.

I know the 4S is for 4 cells. The 3000mAh is how much charge they can hold, correct? And the 20C/30C is how quickly it can get rid of that charge and power things, right?

So how do I determine the power requirements of my standard DJI-450 & NAZA kit?

And lastly, when it comes to charging what should I set it to?

Hopefully those questions make sense.

wizzy87

I can help you with what to charge it at.

if its a 4s, 3000 mah lipo you can charge it at 3 amps. This is 1C. different batteries have different rates you can charge it at. i.e if the manufacture states it can be charged at 2C this means you can charge at 6 amps.

speed_e

Thanks Wizzy. On the batteries it says not to charge over 2C so I can charge at 6 amps. Which I think is the max of my charger. I have been charing them at 3 amps. Does this relate to how much charge it tries to squeeze in? Or just how quick it will charge?

Thanks Bruce, I knew they'd be some good resources somewhere. I'll check them out.

I'm still learning a lot about my new(ish) hobby and I want to learn about batteries.

The shop I purchased my gear from originally recommended a LIPO 2250mAh 4S 65C/130C Burst. After reading a few posts the latest batteries I've purchased are LIPO 3000mAh 4S 20C/30C.

I know the 4S is for 4 cells. The 3000mAh is how much charge they can hold, correct? And the 20C/30C is how quickly it can get rid of that charge and power things, right?

The Lipo cells that we are using are rated at 3.7 volts per cell. From this, 2S is 7,4 volts, 3S is 11.1 volts, 4S is 22.2 volts and so on. This is the voltage designation of the cells that are connected in serie (voltage increase and C (capacity in Amps) remains the same.

Now the part that confuses lots of people: When an intelligent charger charges a 3.7 volts cell, it will charge it until it reads 4.2 volts. This is 0.5 volts above the designated 3.7 volts per cell. From this, a fully charged 3S Lipo battery will read 12,6 volts (3 X 4.2 volts). This represent 100% charge. So far so good? Lets' continue...

Lets' go 0.5 BELOW designated voltage per cell (3.7 - 0.5 = 3.2 volts). You can consider that the useful charge (the amount of electricity that can safely be drawn by the system) is at 0% when you reach 3.2 volts per cell. If you keep discharging beyound this point, there is a real danger to over discharge your battery and that will kill it for good. Also, the voltage drops quite rapidly below this value and you are not going to enjoy it very much...

In other words, the operating range of 1 Lipo cell is from 4.2 volts to 3.2 volts. This only represents 1 volt BUT Lipo technology and its' inherent properties will make this 1 volt drop last much longer than, say, a Nicad battery going from 4.2 volts all the way to 0 volts. This is why Lipos are so popular! A generally accepted good practice allows for long lasting Lipo batteries is to stop flying when there is 20% left per cell. In other words, you fly and burn only 80% of the power available. Of course, this is what you aim at, I have landed near 0% a few times but I always try to land at 20 ish %. Using your NAZA battery first and second alarm with the proper values will engage my first alarm at 20% (flashing red) which tells me to land ASAP. For a F450 it should be around 10.2 volts + whatever your line loss is (usually around 0.5) so 10.6 - 10.7 volts. Do experience different values in the NAZA battery first level alarm so that when you land right away after noticing a flashing red light, as you hover at the end of the flight, your electronic voltage meter say 20%. That would be the ideal set-up. Now with the props, another story...

Just make sure that you do not use 10 X 5 props on 4S batteries with the standard DJI motors. You need 8 to 9 inches prop for 4S. 10 X 4.7 and 10 X 5 are Ok with 3S batteries. One last but IMHO vital info: do not fly with DJI props. APC or Graupner are great and SAFE. Also, when not to be used in the next 2 or 3 days, the Lipos should be discharged to 60%. You intelligent charger will do all this for you. It is call a storage charge. Lipos should not be stored fully charged for extended period of time, this will reduce their lifespan.

Hoping it helps, like a famous rabbit would say: That's it folks!

Last edited by a moderator:

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert

There's actually a lot to know about batteries and I do a lot with batteries as we live off solar power and store the power in lead acid style batteries. As far as Lipos go there's a few basic things to know. Charge rate, discharge rate, capacity, cell voltages and state of charge. If your battery is a 3,000mah, 4S, charge rate 5C and discharge rate 25C rated battery that would translate into a 3Ah (amp hour), 4 cell (4.2 volts max per cell at full charge), 5C * 3Ah = 15A max charge and 25C * 3Ah = 75 amp discharge rate. The reality is that you only want to fly a pack until it's about 3.5V per cell and then you're done. That's NOT the same thing as using 3,000mah in a 3,000mah battery pack because batteries don't always give you their full capacity. The higher the discharge rating (25C above) the less time the battery will maintain it's charge state, meaning how long it'll hold a charge. If you charge a 25C battery and a 50C battery and come back in a week the 25C battery will have a higher voltage while the 50C pack will be more discharged. On a 4S pack I land at 14.2V or 3.55V per cell. Hope that helps...