Unable to write and configuration to F550

johna58

Hello Everyone :nevreness:,

First, I am a newbie to all of this. My wife bought me an AR Drone and I got hooked. Last week I plunged right in an bought a F550 with GPS and a Spektrum DX8. I spent all day (and night) into the wee hours of the morning soldering and assembling it :tennis:. I hooked the battery to the unit and a bell ding and the sequence of notes played and connected the unit to the DJI assistant. The good time now started going down hill :upset:and here is what I've experienced:

1. Even though I think was successful binding the transceiver to the receiver because the the light went from flashing to solid and I can see the indicators move in the program as I moved the joysticks around and see changes occur when I cycle the gear and auxiliary switches but when I went to write the setup, it did not take. I notice this when I unplug the USB connection and the VU unit reverted back to rapid flashing. If I am suppose to hear sounds as it writes then I heard silence.

2. I went ahead and updated the firmware and I think it took. I say that because when hooked up, the latest and current version is the same (version 2.02).

3. When I ran and test the IMU in the program, I got the message "imu working abnormally."

4. No matter what I do to engage the motors (stick down and to the outside) it does not start at all. Not even a twitch. I measured the voltage at the power in and at all six power distribution solder points and they all read the same level (depending on the battery level). I think then that I am getting power to all six motors.

Sorry I am so long-winded but as a newbie just getting into this hobby, I hate to start out with a negative experience. I know things like this occur but I lack the experience and knowledge on my own to find the solution. I contacted both DJI and Spektrum about this and also mention that my telemetry unit has an electrical smell when I took it out of the box. In closing, I had to file off the tabs on the wire harness from the MU to the receiver so that I can slide them in. Is this common too?

Thanks

papawg

I had something similiar happen the other day and as it turned out I didn't have the drivers that I needed for the Naza Assistant downloaded. I downloaded the drivers from the DJI website and everything was cool from then on. Good luck.

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
I had something similiar happen the other day and as it turned out I didn't have the drivers that I needed for the Naza Assistant downloaded. I downloaded the drivers from the DJI website and everything was cool from then on. Good luck.

He said he updated the Firmware, for this to happen he must have the drivers installed. Assistant is reporting both firmware and software are up to date.

As you have already noticed, there is quite a bit of information to read and understand when you first start in this hobby, especially from scratch. Reading your postings, I get the feeling you expected to purchase the stuff and be airborne before you even got home.... We were all the same...Ha! Ha! The thing is, it just don't work this way. You do not want to take-off and smash your F550 on the first flight! This would be a NEGATIVE experience. Not being able to fly right away is an ANNOYING experience. You catch the subtile difference...

There is a lot of advice in this Forum and, indeed, a lot of people that fly the same setup as yours (F550 GPS + Spectrum DX8). Look up for this specific setup and read the appropriate posts. Also, type in your setup and watch videos on Youtube to physically SEE how other people have successfully connected their ship. Take the time to understand how the system works before going flying. This is not a AR drone you got there!

Two last things, first you are scaring me a bit with your filing connector story. Everything fits perfect when it is lined up in the proper hole. Please verify if you got the right wire and respect polarity. If it doesn't fit, it is not suppose to be there, or connected that way. Second and last, your wife probably doesn't realized but she just made herself a multicopter widow... Ha! Ha!

Good luck and take the time it takes! You only have one shot at a first takeoff...

Last edited by a moderator:

papawg

Yea I thought once I downloaded the latest software which was 1.8 that would include everything but I had to go back and download the drivers separately. There is a separate download listed for this and it worked. Thats all I know.

tstrike

pendejo grande
aring me a bit with your filing connector story. Everything fits perfect when it is lined up in the proper hole. Please verify if you got the right wire and respect polarity. If it doesn't fit, it is not suppose to be there, or connected that way.

Good luck and take the time it takes! You only have one shot at a first takeoff...
You have to clip off the lil tab on the provided servo leads to get them plugged into the ar8000, kind of a pita really.

Just move forward one step at a time. You still have a ways to go with respect to arming the motors.
1st, before connecting your receiver to the Naza, or WKM just get your receiver up and running with your transmitter.
Then get your Naza or WMK firmare operational.

Only when above two are working correctly will you be able to move into configuring the two systems to collaborate so that you can eventually arm the motors.

johna58

I am greeting a lot of sound advice. I also have to admit that filing down the tabs on the connectors is something I don't like doing but when I looked at it and the receiver the tabs sticked pass the housing. I believe the polarity is correct because the assistant did reflect the response from the transmitter. I will also learn as much as I can.

johna58

OK:upset:, after soaking in as much as I can in my mush of a brain after visiting this site, other sites and YouTube about my F550 with Naza-M and GPS, I was (finally at 3 am this morning) able to - somehow - start the motors as long as I hold the joystick in up and out direction (I am missing something here). Once I release one or both sticks, the mortors quit running. Needless to say, I am not there yet. This is why I would like to ask if anyone would be kind enough to share their exported NAZA file and their exported DX8 file. I was hoping to use that as a base where I would be able to learn from and build from that point.

Thanks in advance!:tennis:

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
Maybe you need to reverse your throttle sticks in the naza software or on your radio?

Out of interest, when your in the assistant, when you throttle up, which way does the slider move?

You are getting very close now. I don't have the Spectrum RC system but am familiar with your situation as it applies to the Futaba T8FG Super. You simply need to get the joystick alignments as close as possible to the horizontal and vertical midpoints for each axis when calibrating your Tx to your Naza motor outputs as per the Naza manual. Otherwise your calibration is two far outside the NAZA software and firmware specifications and NAZA will shut down the motors. This is a built-in safety feature that is to your advantage in the long run since it helps to protect you from faulty ESCs etc.

johna58

Well, I finally started the motors and was able to sustain it. I can hear the motors adjust when I cycle through the joysticks. I think I will take a break tonight and tackle the fail safe and the other switch settings tomorrow (my next quest). I like to thank all responding to this newbie's thread.

Maybe I should send you a copy of my Naza config file downloaded from the EEPROM...... but you still will have to match the Naza config at your transmitter end and my config is for a Futaba not Spectrum.

johna58

I would appreciate that. I would get a better understanding and appreciatation as I adapt the values from a Futaba to a Spektrum - Thanks!

Should it still be of any use to you..... I have found the Naza setup file ???.naza and can send it to you by private email.
Note: Reveal your email address by private message only.
It is loaded by means of the import function at the top of Naza assistant software program.
Note: I cannot accept any responsibility for it's application but am sure it is benign and virus free.

adchesney

Should it still be of any use to you..... I have found the Naza setup file ???.naza and can send it to you by private email.
Note: Reveal your email address by private message only.
It is loaded by means of the import function at the top of Naza assistant software program.
Note: I cannot accept any responsibility for it's application but am sure it is benign and virus free.

I was hoping with all my extensive reading and planning I would not need to contact you folks for HELP.

Here goes:

I have a F550 kit with E300 ECU and motors. I have NazaM V2 with GPS, I have the Bluetooth module (BTU), I have the FrSky X8R with the FrSky Taranis X9D, all powered by 4S 2650 50C.

I have connected the X8R receiver from SBUS to X2 on NazaM.

Here’s the issue – I’m just HOPELESS and about to throw my Taranis and X8R in the bin as I just can’t program this. I can’t get my head around concept, and I’ve now spent my whole weekend some 20+ hours following simple instructions but I still can’t get it powered up.

I used a quad EEPROM from http://rcsettings.com/index.php/viewcategory/6-multirotors - this this able to power up the motors but failsafe, Atti, GPS switches would not work correctly – I’ve tried (without success) to re-program – and now I can’t get the motors to fire up.

I’m not usually one to give up – but as my first foray into RC and Hexa – I feel I’ve bitten off more than I can chew with the X9D and X8R.

I would be happy to pay someone to write an EEPROM to suit my above configuration. Otherwise I’m off to purchase http://www.heliguy.com/Quadcopter/DJI-Phantom-Spares/DJI-DT7-Transmitter-and-Receiver/

Regards

ANDREW (Yateley, UK)

gtranquilla

RadioActive
I sold my F550 some time ago and have lost track with the config since moving up to the WKM and A2 since. If your RC system has 8 or more channels, it should be possible to configure your RC radio system to work with the NAZA. Keep in mind that the Bluetooth LED module adds some additional complications since it demands a firmware upgrade that I always avoided. Also the Bluetooth unit will not work with older Apple IPhones due to USB firmware limitations. I had my hands full with the recommended Futaba T8FG Super RC radio system configuration and can't imagine the degree of challenge that can occur with other radio systems. But the8R that should be able to help you..... just avoid using s.bus config initially.