U-power U7 420kv motors with T-motor T80A 400hz compatibility

Hello!

getting ready to put together a heavy lifter and i have already purchased the Upower U7 420kv motors and T-motor T80a esc's. im starting to second guess the esc choice as ive heard from a couple different sources now that there is a compatibility issue with this combo. i know a couple people running this setup and have not said they have had problems but ive also read that there might be. can anyone shed some light on this combo? is anyone running this setup reliably? if there is an issue, will the T-motor Pro esc's solve it? or is there any better options out there i should consider.

T-motor 17x5.8 props
U-power U7 420 KV
Pulse 6s 10,000 Mah x2
Movi w/Red Epic M
AUW will be around 35 lbs

Thanks in advanced!

kloner

Aerial DP
this is supposedly the only configuration tiger is supporting, i'm told this works fine, but i'd still test it out for commutation problems

well thats good to hear! we will for test out each motor and esc and do some extended ground testing before we fly it!

kloner

Aerial DP
not neccesary, test it like this, look for it to never do anything but rev up and down... if it screeches DO NOT FLY IT. important to note, i only have a prop on one motor and the rest are unplugged from the flight controller....

to the best of my knowledge this is the only known problem your going up against

Last edited by a moderator:

tahoejmfc

James Cole
Hi, did you ever get to test the T-motors T80A with the U7 yet? any sync issues like Kloner and I are having?
Any details would be great

Mojave

Tiger Motor: U7 490Kv motor + T80A ESC + 18 inch CF Prop tested

Hi, did you ever get to test the T-motors T80A with the U7 yet? any sync issues like Kloner and I are having?
Any details would be great

I might have an answer for you but my motors are the U7 490Kv not the 420Kv specified above.

I used the DJI A2 flight controller in manual and mounted the multirotor on my plywood work bench with clamps. All of the 6 U7 490Kv motors were mounted on my HexaCrafter 1100L frame but only one had a 18 inch T-Motor carbon fiber propeller. All the motors ran; only one had a propeller. I calibrated these ESCs from full throttle to the zero position on my radio previously. Then for the test I ran the motor through about 25 cycles of 1/4 to full throttle and I did 4 replicates of approximately the same duration. My garage is hot at 90*F and after the fourth test he motor with the prop was hot; about 150*F, the ESCs were also (I did not measure this) and the heat transferred to the carbon fiber arm. I think it will be cooler out in better airflow but I will monitor temperatures when I start to do some test flights. From what I have been reading; I did not observe any distress with this configuration; no high pitched sequels or screeches of motor; no slowing down at the top of the throttle. I also did not notice any lag in the throttle response.

Here is the link to the video: https://vimeo.com/99205583

To see more on my build look here: http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthread.php?19613-New-Build-HexaCrafter-1100L-Heavy-Lift

Last edited by a moderator:

we have about 20 flights on our setup and have had good luck so far. we came across one incident though where we believe our vibration plate started to come loose and slid back on the rails causing a big offset in balance making the A2 freak out. we got it back on the ground but it barely tipped over and took out a couple props. need to get rid of the thumb screw setup on the quadrocopter adapter plate... outside of that out motor temps have been right around 90-100° with 17in props, the speed controls are getting close to 100-110 but it has caused any issues. we are still doing more weight testing before we strap the red on. has anyone had a bad imbalance like this causing the flight control to want to toilet bull really hard? im 99% sure that was the issue but some confirmation would be nice without replicating it and taking out more props.. lol

Jjjkkklll

we have about 20 flights on our setup and have had good luck so far. we came across one incident though where we believe our vibration plate started to come loose and slid back on the rails causing a big offset in balance making the A2 freak out. we got it back on the ground but it barely tipped over and took out a couple props. need to get rid of the thumb screw setup on the quadrocopter adapter plate... outside of that out motor temps have been right around 90-100° with 17in props, the speed controls are getting close to 100-110 but it has caused any issues. we are still doing more weight testing before we strap the red on. has anyone had a bad imbalance like this causing the flight control to want to toilet bull really hard? im 99% sure that was the issue but some confirmation would be nice without replicating it and taking out more props.. lol

I know it's been a while and it's a bit off-topic, but did you ever come up with a solution for the quadrocopter adapter plate thumb screws? We've never had trouble with ours but I'm constantly concerned about it.

I know it's been a while and it's a bit off-topic, but did you ever come up with a solution for the quadrocopter adapter plate thumb screws? We've never had trouble with ours but I'm constantly concerned about it.

we eneded up running longer bolts and put nuts behind it and got rid of the thumb screw part and just use a driver to tighten it up. other then that we have not had any problems. chased down some small vibrations but that is about it. other then that the machine has been flying well.