Turnigy 9X - What's the REAL story?

Gump

So the time for me to purchase my very first transmitter is upon me. There's plenty of options out there, and the Tunrigy 9X was recommended to my by more than one person. However, there seems to be some doubts about this controller from reading things here and there around the net. The other components that were recommended to me to go along with the 9X were the smartie parts board and the frsky 2.4 system.
Am I crazy to believe that such a cheap radio unit can be made to be competitive with the higher end equipment and as well be robust and reliable enough to fly a quad FPV?
What are the highlights and the lowlights of this radio system?
What is there to look out for and to avoid?
Are there major pitfalls with this setup?
Definitely looking for first person experience and advice with this kind of stuff, and I do appreciate any help.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jodde73

I have many hours of fpv and los flight with my two 9X's (smartie+Er9x). I have looked inside many radios and all of them are made in, and of components made in China... The 9X is a great radio, and with FrSky with (or without) booster you get a great range and that is also a safety feature when flying fpv.
But wait for the 9XR (if you have the time to wait in eternity...)

matwelli

Have 2 9x 'set the moment. One with frsky. Build quality is low. It pays to take the back off and check the solder joints on all the wires to see itches. Give them s gentle tug. Apart from that they have lasted longer than my spectrum dx6i. Very programable which Izmir nice

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

guy1a

I also use er9x with uhf for fpv and with origal module for los .. also selling my fs module ... don't need it any more.

Very good radio. Lasted longer than my futaba ex6t.

sgs II

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
I am not a fan of the 9X, I think it's just a bit too cheap. Unfortunately there's a hole in the market for a nice affordable mid-range radio.

FrSky is actually working on their own line of transmitters. If they are as good as the rest of their stuff, they should be a good buy.

My opinion at this point? Pick up something like a used Futaba 9C, and put in FrSky modules.

kloner

Aerial DP
I absolutely love my futaba 8j...... it's just enough quality to be worth the extra money and the link you have between your fingers and model is unmistakeable. i only tried it with the supplied tx once on a build, but the customer went over a mile with it no problem.

I tried to buy this a few times, just couldn't do it. i had dragonlink and this is "the" radio to use with it

guy1a

I am not a fan of the 9X, I think it's just a bit too cheap. Unfortunately there's a hole in the market for a nice affordable mid-range radio.

FrSky is actually working on their own line of transmitters. If they are as good as the rest of their stuff, they should be a good buy.

My opinion at this point? Pick up something like a used Futaba 9C, and put in FrSky modules.

I that it is not that 9x is to chip but the other are expancive.

sgs II

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
I that it is not that 9x is to chip but the other are expancive.

Oh, I agree. There is no justification for the prices that Futaba charges. Their "affordable" models are just as cheap as the 9X, but still cost 2-3X as much. And the price for a good one is just insane.

Gump

Interesting stuff. Maybe I should ask then does anyone own one that's somehow failed, fallen apart, glitched or otherwise caused a fiery crash??

matwelli

yep - had the battery pack go open circuit and cause a radian to crash , the battery holder is to tight of a fit in the compartment and causes issues, i now run a lipo in mine

have had one of the switches snap off (low quality) and have repaired one that had several wires fall off inside.

have had one (in total have brought 12 of them and on-sold 9 with various multirotors) that the throttle pot only worked from 25% to 75% of the stick range, not idea for fine control on a multirotor

its a cheap but effective radio, that needs a good going over before putting into service

guy1a

I had an issue with one of the trims wires. Had to re solder them.

Thats all.
In use for two years now.

sgs II

STI-REX

Gettin Old
I have bought 3 of the 9x's to use for people who wanted cheap builds made for them and 2 of them lasted no more than 3 months and the 3rd lasted 6 months but was hardly ever flown with and it still just stopped transmitting and the model was lost to the ground gods

2 of them i managed to get working again but it took a frsky module and a soldering iron to do so

I think the best value for money tx/rx at the moment is the futaba 8j and will last a while and feels like a quality radio in your hands the 9x feels cheap and looks cheap

but they do work but it is a case of you get what you pay for and your radio is your tether to your expensive model

Just changed over to a Futaba t8fg super from a spectrum DX7 and the difference is night and day it feels so much more connected and so easy to program
Cheers
James