Traveling with multirotors

Hi,

Im going to Portugal soon and would like to take the aircraft and equipment to film the Villa.

Can anyone help me with what I should do to arrange this with Easyjet before traveling ?
How to deal with lipo's on an aeroplane ?
Does anyone know if there's any problems with flying UAV in Portugal ?
I will be doing it as a hobbyist so no money changing hands which should make the process easier for me. Saying that i would still like to contact the Portages Aviation Authorities so any info on that would be helpful.

Thanks for your help
Jimmy

Old Man

I'm curious about the lipos as well. The air carriers have become real tight with what can be shipped, at what size, and in what manner after losing that UPS 747 to a suspected lipo fire in the cargo hold. The controlling body seems to be IATA and not the usual CFR-49 HazMat regulations as one would expect.

ZAxis

This is the official IATA guide, most airlines will work to it.

http://www.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/dgr/Documents/LithiumBattery_PassengerFlyer.jpg

Do the sums and I think you'll find you officially have too much power density. In practice its not the airlines you finally have to deal with but the security check point. So how ever many you do take, expect some hassle. It might be OK on the way out but don't expect it to be the same on the way back. We flew with the same amount of batteries to Portugal recently and had this experience. Allow some extra time for the whole checkin/security process.

andy

This is the official IATA guide, most airlines will work to it.

http://www.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/dgr/Documents/LithiumBattery_PassengerFlyer.jpg

Do the sums and I think you'll find you officially have too much power density. In practice its not the airlines you finally have to deal with but the security check point. So how ever many you do take, expect some hassle. It might be OK on the way out but don't expect it to be the same on the way back. We flew with the same amount of batteries to Portugal recently and had this experience. Allow some extra time for the whole checkin/security process.

andy

Thanks Andy.

kloner

Aerial DP
the cell counts not the issue, it's the volume and density... ie Mah and C are too big.....hint hint

Hi Thanks for the advice but I don't think I will be doing that. I would love to film the place's I'm going to but my PFAW is more important to me than smuggling lipo's aboard airlines to film something I'm not getting paid for.

What's the safe answer to traveling with Lipo's abroad ?
Pre sending lipo's by DHL UPS and so on ?
Or purchasing more Lipo's when arriving at the country of filming/flying and disgracing them after or try selling them back to the store for 50% less ?

Thanks guys

We must have someway of working abroad in this industry ?

Jumpy07

Jimmy,

Because of issues and unreliability of getting them through security quite a few AP companies are buying lipos in country .. that way they can be guaranteed to have them.. expensive though as only used for one job etc

Jimmy,

Because of issues and unreliability of getting them through security quite a few AP companies are buying lipos in country .. that way they can be guaranteed to have them.. expensive though as only used for one job etc

Yeah as I thought mate, Thanks for the reply Jumpy

ZAxis

One thing to remember is that the allowances are per passenger so if you're travelling as a group, spread them around.

Andy

Does anyone have a contact for a good shop in [FONT=Arial, helvetica neue, lucida grande, helvetica, sans-serif]Portugal that may have 6s lipo's in stock ?

Thanks
[/FONT]

kloner

Aerial DP
were working on creating battery rentals around the US, but yea, best way is to order new, have em sent where your going and drop em n the trash when you leave...

the problem is any ap company big enough to travel usually has bigger than 4s 4500 15c...... that's one of the maximums allowed,,,, higherc, lower mah as well..... last time i looked nothing carrying anything of any size is usually a bigger pack than that