Transmitter radio opinions

Y0urDaddy

Hello...

I am sure this topic has come up a time or two in the past. I am about 50% through my first build of a F450 and thought I may ask folks what opinions they have on some radio/transmitters they have used in the past.

As I mentioned in another post I have raced RC cars for years, so I have a good deal of experience with car radio systems, but I have never done anything with aircraft before so I don't really know much about the radio systems for a quad.

I would like to get something I can use for a while without having to replace because it is missing some feature I want. While my initial plan is just to fly, in the end state I want to do some photography and perhaps some FPV flying. So I thought I would pose the question to folks who have more experience with aircraft than I do and see what systems they have liked and what ones have not been so hot.

Thanks...

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
Well Brian I use a DX18 and a 14SG and a Taranis X9D, all good radios, the Taranis or 14SG is the better choice for flying MR's, both have a fairly steep learning curve if you have not had a computer radio before.

Pete

Y0urDaddy

Thanks for the info... Perhaps a better question may be, what should I expect to spend for a decent radio. When I searched the Taranis X9D online I saw a pretty big difference in prices based on where I looked.

genesc

You can get the Taranis radio from GETFPV,FrSky Taranis 2.4GHz ACCST Radio & X8R Combo (Mode 2) $209.00. That comes with the receiver. You will just need to buy a battery, http://www.getfpv.com/lumenier-2500mah-3s-radio-transmitter-lipo-battery.html.

Do your homework and read the reveiws on the Taranis. Think you will find it will probably exceed your needs. The Turnigy is definelty a budget maker.

Also the Turnigy 9XR that can be purchased from HK or Ebay/Amazon for under $75.00. But you will need a module to plug into that radio. That is an additional $25.00 to $40.00 depending on where you buy it. The module should be a JR Compatible module.

Pete suggested the Taranis when I was looking for a radio. I am sure pleased with mine.

Best of luck

Gene

genesc

I forget where I got mine now. Everyone was out of Mode 2 so I bought the Mode 1 and changed it over to Mode 2. It was simple enough to do.
I guess I got lucky because mine came with a nice case to carry it in which is a plus for me because I am a cluts..:)

Gene

Fat Corgi

I'm a big fan of the Futaba sets. I have a 14SG for flight control and a 8FG for the gimbal. Never missed a beat.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Ill have a basically brand new (used for 2 months) futaba 14sg with 7008 RX for sale here very shortly. Let me know if you're interested.

Y0urDaddy

Thanks for all of the info guys!

I have to keep my budget in mind for my quad project and all. Ideally I would like to get a radio I can use for a while, but wife and kids considered I may have to compromise a bit on what I want vs. what I need. It seems like I have built my quad backwards from most with the white arms as the nose and the red as the tail. I made that choice as my micro I learned to fly with has white LED's for the front and red LED's for the tail. I got used to looking at the white lights as the front and red as the tail while learning to fly it.

YD

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
Basic physics, red brake lights, white lights to see where you are going, works for me.

I picked up a T8FG for number two son for under $200 delivered, a lot of radio at a low price point.

Last edited by a moderator:

Y0urDaddy

there is a local hobby shop right up the street from me that I got the frame from. I was going to take a ride up there and look at some transmitters to see what ones I like and all. For my F450 I want to try to keep the cost of the transmitter right around $200 and all. After I get the transmitter I should just need to get a charger and a couple of LiPo's (I stopped racing RCs right before the big switch to LiPo) and a charger then I should be ready to fly.

I am not going to mount any video stuff right off the bat. I want to be sure I can fly, land (hands on) and all before I go and put a bunch of money in to FPV or general video stuff.

Thanks...

RobBurn

I went for the futaba 14sg with 7008 RX. I believe you have enough issues to worry about when flying to add a questionable radio. They can be had shipped to your door for just under $500. If you want to later fpv or retract or lights etc you need as many channels as you can get.

enjoy

Y0urDaddy

I am going to run to the local shop today and see what they have in stock. This place tends to specialize in aircraft, and I have had a generally positive experience there in the past. If they have something I like there I will likely pick one up. I want to try to get the F450 in the air in the next week or so to see how things work and all. Initially I will likely only fly it 10 or 15 feet to test stuff out.

RobBurn

I am going to run to the local shop today and see what they have in stock. This place tends to specialize in aircraft, and I have had a generally positive experience there in the past. If they have something I like there I will likely pick one up. I want to try to get the F450 in the air in the next week or so to see how things work and all. Initially I will likely only fly it 10 or 15 feet to test stuff out.

Yes would recommend flying at that lelvel until you figure out your battery life.