Tip for Jello-Free Hero3 footage for Mulit-rotor aircraft!

Chadfish

I was getting pretty good results flying my quadcopter with the Hero2 at 720p60, but when I got the Hero3, and flew at 1080p60 I noticed I got substantially more "jello" in the image from the rolling shutter in the GoPro's CMOS sensor. I noticed that I did not get this result n overcast days, so I went looking for a way to easily get a good ND filter on & off the GoPro depending on the conditions. I found Snake River Prototyping's "Blurfix3 SO Naked" 55mm filter mount that they usually use for underwater filters, but they also sold a high quality ND filter called the "Maurami ND4X" ND filter that reduces the light getting into the lens by 2 stops. The slows the camera's shutter and the result is JELLO FREE AERIAL VIDEO!!! I'm not a sales person for SRP. I just am so stoked that after a year of dealing with this I finally have a reliable solution. Of course you should still balance your motors and props, but man this solution makes up for virtually all the imperfections in your aircraft. They also have a Circular Polarizer filter I'm going to try, but the 4X ND has dramatically improved my video. Even if you're not trying to kill jello, it is a great thing to use on bright sunny days. Check out my before/after comparison.
Cheers guys!
Here's their link to the mount/filter: http://www.snakeriverprototyping.com/shopblurfix3so.html

Here's the before/after video (watch full screen at 1080p to really see the difference)

And here's a test (no comparison) of the filter on the Hero3 flying at the 720p120 setting. ZERO JELLO.

And the thing stays on well too! It snaps on and stays on, though they have a lanyard included for insurance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chadfish

They have one for the Hero2, maybe called "Blurfix2". For some reason it's more expensive. Look on the web site. If you have jello, it's worth it.

ChrisViperM

Looks damn good....It's worth trying out ....just curious if you can use any 55 mm filter with this "Blurfix3 SO Naked"......got a full box of filters at home, and as long the filter thread is standard, ther shouldn't be a problem...am I right ???

Chris

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Looks damn good....It's worth trying out ....just curious if you can use any 55 mm filter with this "Blurfix3 SO Naked"......got a full box of filters at home, and as long the filter thread is standard, ther shouldn't be a problem...am I right ???

Chris

NOPE.. they are specially machined ones that have virtually no metal infront of the lens, ie no threads at all. I think they do a range.. I did have a spare one once!

The blurfix ones are usually used for underwater video but I got two to try out the polariser but never got round to it.

Dave

PS happy sunday.. its raining here!

ChrisViperM

Hi Dave

I did a search on Mama Google for the advertised "Marumi ND4X" filter (looks like to be a Russian product) and it apperars that it is a standard threaded ND-filter, can't comment on the quality of the filter.
Do you talk about the new BLURFIX3 for Hero 3 or the previous version of that product...

PS: Happy sunday to you too....if it's only raining, you are lucky...we have snow at the moment

Chris

EDIT: I went to a music store yesterday with my son and saw them playing around on drums with some funny stuff called "Moongel"...thought that could be great to use instead of this fugly looking earplugs to remove vibrations.....looks like that idea already had somone before me:

Breezemont

Chris
You should be able to, but as Droider says they have to machine off the outside threads to eliminate vignetting in the widest settings.
This is my 3D printed version - I used a 46-55 mm stepdown ring and standard filters. Couldn't get rid of the tiniest vignetting at the widest settings, but I never use them anyway.
It works really well with the CP filter.

View attachment 9360

View attachment 9361

ps. The wire rope isolators work GREAT at getting rid of jello.

Attachments

• P1010686.JPG
    P1010686.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 284
  • filter_test.jpg
    filter_test.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 282

ChrisViperM

Thanks for the info....that wire-isolator seems to do the trick.....just not sure how to fiddle something like that onto the TBS Disco.....

Chris

Chadfish

Chris

Yes Chris you can use ANY 55mm FILTER with the Blurfix3or Blurfix2. They machine off the front of the filter to stop vignetting you cat due to the extreme wide angle of the GoPro lens. And I absolutely can vouch for the quality of the Marumi filters. SRP did extensive testing and decided to go with the Marumi due to it's high quality, and compatability with the FOV of the Hero lens'. SRP is a company that isn't looking to cheap out on their products. They could sell cheaper glass and make more money, but they are going for quality. So I would go with the Marumi, but indeed ANY 55mm filter will work.

Chadfish

Also the circular polarizer filter they sell will not only cut glare and help the color (at the optimum angle from the sun) but they will stop down the light 2 stops just like the ND4X ND filter. I haven't tried it yet, but I have the CP filter on order. I will make another comparison video once I get it.

Chadfish

If they could fit a little filter on something similar to the lens cap GoPor sells. Just have glass on the end. But I guess that won't help your situation if you're using the case. I'd like it if they had ND filter glass for that square glass on the case. I'd buy that. One less layer of material to get through.

gtranquilla

RadioActive
Hello Chad,

Whats the latest of choosing a supplier for a good ND or polarizing filter that is fit-for-purpose for the Hero GoPro3 + Black on a stable 3 axis BGC system? I can't see any jello in my aerials but not 100% convinced it is not there or there is 0% vibes affecting image video image sharpness. I will twist the lens as a last resort for better distance sharpness but it seems good as is at 2.7k 24 fps. Medium....... Wide shows my Cinestar landing gear etc.

Also the circular polarizer filter they sell will not only cut glare and help the color (at the optimum angle from the sun) but they will stop down the light 2 stops just like the ND4X ND filter. I haven't tried it yet, but I have the CP filter on order. I will make another comparison video once I get it.