XAircraft Thoughts on the SuperX FC over any DJI FC's

Rangers99

Need your guys opinions on something….I currently have a DJI Phantom 2 w/ Zenmuse Gimbal and GoPro hero 3 with FPV, this is my first quadcopter and I love it…definitely having a great time with it…only thing Im not liking is all the problems they are having with flyaways, severe JHook, TBE and big time drifting….I have downgraded to 1.08 and now just get major drifting…I was flying one day just testing some new props..was flying fine at low altitude(coin its normal drifting) decided to go up to about 40m..hovered a bit then decided to rotate a bit, thats where things went south!! The Phantom decided to start going its own way…first time it happened to i panicked and didn't think of switching to ATTI mode….it flew a few feet to the right and suddenly started coming down in a death wobble, I could not do anything…it got about 3 feet off the ground and flipped over and crashed..bent one of the arms..needless to say I had to replace the shell, thank god that was all that happened. Anyway, after this and many others having problems I am so disgusted and its seems DJI isn't doing much to fast to help solve all these problems….So after all this rambling here is my question..I am building a Tarot 680 Pro and I have been looking at the SuperX and liking it more and more I see videos on it…What are your guys thoughts on using this FC over DJI? Anybody having problems with drifting? JHook? holding proper altitude? I live in NY so magnetic declination is pretty bad, not sure if Xaircraft Super X is affected by this…I am new to all this stuff so just going by what Ive been reading….any help would be greatly appreciated…thanks again

wbrownj

Need your guys opinions on something….I currently have a DJI Phantom 2 w/ Zenmuse Gimbal and GoPro hero 3 with FPV, this is my first quadcopter and I love it…definitely having a great time with it…only thing Im not liking is all the problems they are having with flyaways, severe JHook, TBE and big time drifting….I have downgraded to 1.08 and now just get major drifting…I was flying one day just testing some new props..was flying fine at low altitude(coin its normal drifting) decided to go up to about 40m..hovered a bit then decided to rotate a bit, thats where things went south!! The Phantom decided to start going its own way…first time it happened to i panicked and didn't think of switching to ATTI mode….it flew a few feet to the right and suddenly started coming down in a death wobble, I could not do anything…it got about 3 feet off the ground and flipped over and crashed..bent one of the arms..needless to say I had to replace the shell, thank god that was all that happened. Anyway, after this and many others having problems I am so disgusted and its seems DJI isn't doing much to fast to help solve all these problems….So after all this rambling here is my question..I am building a Tarot 680 Pro and I have been looking at the SuperX and liking it more and more I see videos on it…What are your guys thoughts on using this FC over DJI? Anybody having problems with drifting? JHook? holding proper altitude? I live in NY so magnetic declination is pretty bad, not sure if Xaircraft Super X is affected by this…I am new to all this stuff so just going by what Ive been reading….any help would be greatly appreciated…thanks again

Hi Rangers99...
Well I can only give you a somewhat subjective view. I own both a DJI Phantom and a XA650 with SuperX controller and I have no complaints about the SuperX whatsoever. It makes for a remarkably stable platform even though I only use mine for hobby/casual AP work I have never experienced any loss of control or flyway. Position hold is rock solid and for my money it is a very recommendable FC. The Phantom is not used for any serious work and is just for scudding about the sky and having fun. Do not get me wrong I love my Phantom and can be less worried about losing it/crashing it etc. because of the lower price point. The Phantom is probably a bit nippy-er when I throw it about but that is probably as much to do with its smaller / lighter construction rather than specifically with the FC.

If I was building a new, larger size quad or hex... I would definitely be seriously considering the SuperX FC.

FWIW

J

Rangers99

Thanks for the quick reply wbrownj..I appreciate the input…looking forward to building this and flying it…now just have to pick out some motors…just ordered the btw spider 30a SimonK ESC's…trying to decide on some good motors to go with this for aerial photography using a go pro hero 3 for now, possibly upgrade a bit in the future camera wise. I like the Xaircraft Gimbal setup and OSD, looks very simple to setup and use.
Thanks again
John

jfro

Aerial Fun
I've flown HoverFly Pro, Naza V2, SuperX, & Pixhawk. Still flying the last 3.

My Naza V2 has flown great on a small quad, large quad, and now on an 20 lb X8. I struggled with a midsize and then large X8 with the SuperX. It flew fine in calm ot light air, but was very skittish in windy conditions. I never crashed in the wind, but it was tough to film and a tad disconcerting with it's characteristics in the wind.

There is lots of positive's on the SuperX, but on the X8, I have pretty much concluded, that based on my experiences and others on the internet, it's something they need to do some work on. I can't attest personally, as I just put the Super X on my heavy lift quad, but I suspect it will be ok based on how it's flying.

Rangers99

JFRO…I see you're from upstate NY…I am fromWestchester County….I have the Phantom 2 and its literally was driving me crazy with the JHook and TBE, I downgraded my software to 1.08 and now it just drifts like crazy…like I said I am very new to all this so not sure if they use the same FC in the Phantom 2 as you have or if the software is the same…all I know is when you spend well over $1000 in equipment, you shouldn't have to worry about stuff like this and the amount of Flyaways they have been having…its really not acceptable in my opinion…again not sure of this is happening with the Naza V2, but I and I think many others have gotten to the point that they are afraid to fly there Phantom 2's…its literally scary…I had what I think was somewhat of a flyaway and it was literally 40m up over my head and just started flying off on its own…wound up crashing and bending an arm.had to replace the shell. Had no control what so ever! Anyway…I appreciate your response and input…Where upstate are you from? Do you have these problems with the Naza V2? Thanks again

jfro

Aerial Fun
JFRO…I see you're from upstate NY…I am fromWestchester County….I have the Phantom 2 and its literally was driving me crazy with the JHook and TBE, I downgraded my software to 1.08 and now it just drifts like crazy…like I said I am very new to all this so not sure if they use the same FC in the Phantom 2 as you have or if the software is the same…all I know is when you spend well over $1000 in equipment, you shouldn't have to worry about stuff like this and the amount of Flyaways they have been having…its really not acceptable in my opinion…again not sure of this is happening with the Naza V2, but I and I think many others have gotten to the point that they are afraid to fly there Phantom 2's…its literally scary…I had what I think was somewhat of a flyaway and it was literally 40m up over my head and just started flying off on its own…wound up crashing and bending an arm.had to replace the shell. Had no control what so ever! Anyway…I appreciate your response and input…Where upstate are you from? Do you have these problems with the Naza V2? Thanks again

Upstate to us Western New Yorkers is a different upstate than to you peeps down my the city. I'm up near lake Ontario in a suburb of Rochester, ie Western New York.

Neither Phantom has the Naza V2 as far as I know. I believe they have the previous versions. I have never had a glitch with my V2. It's been on a small 450, 550, and 650 quad with 900kv motors and 400kv motors. Flew like a dream on all. I just came back from a day of flying with it now on a 18+ pound x8 and flew in a steady 14mph wind that layed down as the day progressed. I was thrilled with the performance. I'm not 100% dialed in as I did get a little circle affect a few times on hoover in GPS hold.

I don't fly in congested areas, near power lines etc. I am concerned about some of the glitches I hear about DJI products, but I'm sure many are operator errors. One thing I do is always wait for is a GPS lock with 1 or no red blinks. Sometimes I will get a home lock at 2 red blinks and I wait another 30-60 seconds and it will get to 1 or 0 blinks and re-blink the green flashes indicating home port. If there is anything out of the ordinary, I power down and check everything on the quad and radio.

I try not to fly in GPS mode, but sometimes I do if I want to hold a shot, or have lost orientation and need to take a second to re-orient my multirotor. Last week I used IOC for for just the 2nd or 3rd time. Believe it or not, I haven't tried return to home other than to check out my radio and settings. I hope I never need it. I fly LOS so don't worry about losing signal.

I have built all my own frames so I make sure the solders are solid and used good quality wire and components. I break them in by flying for a few hours by slow flying in a small area and staying less than 15-20 feet up. I had one mishap early on my first build based on a faulty connection where on the first flight after about 5 minutes of hoovering about 8 feet up, it came straight down.

I flew my quad with SuperX yesterday on what was a previously a very smooth config with the Naza. I was just practicing some flying techniques in a small area and I came in concluding it just didn't handle as well as when my Naza was on it. It was nice, but I had the Naza dialed in a bit better. Nothing changed except for the flight controllers about 10 days ago.

In the back of my mind I do worry about some of the DJI problems we read about on the internet. I just don't know with absolute certainty how many of the issues are operator error or setup issues as opposed to a firmware/software glitch.

If I was 100% sure they were all operator errors, I'd put my SuperX up for sale and buy another Naza V2. I've had nothing put positive results from it. I paid an extra $200 for the 8 engine version and now using just 4 motors. I will probably fly the summer the way I have it now and see if xAircraft comes up with a firmware update with some new features. Otherwise, if I log a bunch more hours on my new favorite MR (x8)/ Naza v2 without issues, I may sell my xAircraft and buy another Naza V2.

Your statement about expecting more for $1,000 made me smile. I hear you & agree, BUT you will also heard the same "expect more" form guys that have spent many 1,000's of dollars more on the systems. This sport is a money pit. There is crap parts and electronics being sold constantly. The term you get what you pay for is only sometimes true as far as I can tell. There is very little responsibility on the manufacturers. They call it a hobby and you (the customer) are basically an experiment.

Good luck with your decision. It's not easy. Good news is both will fly great (except xAircarft's x8 config) if your MR if set up properly. Both are popular enough, that if you get one and don't like it, you should be able to sell it for a decent price. I bought my Naza about 2 months before the big price drop and I'm still happy with it. It's just a better deal now.

2 things about my post, 1. I like to slow fly as I'm just interested in video and stills. I'm not an FPV person or sport flyer. I fly by myself with a small monitor to frame my shots. 2. I've only been at this for about 18 months, but spent a ton of time on this obsessive hobby and have built 6 mr's in that time of which I now fly 3.

Last edited by a moderator: