Those odd parts you may need when you are trying to modify your mulirotor

JCNH

I was trying to make some modifications to the gimble on my F550 and was having trouble finding some "not so common" parts. I was looking for some small lightweight plastic gears that I could use to attach to the servo or even something similar to the pully's that i've seen on some of the larger professional rigs. Does anyone know where to get that kind of stuff on line? I've been searching but maybe I'm just not using the correct keywords.

Thanks
Jim C.

kloner

Aerial DP
the super high end belt and cogs i see on these are from here
https://sdp-si.com/eStore/

we use similar ones in large scale heli, that's where we get em. one word of warning, they do the $18.00 + $5 s/h bit, but if you ever try to send something back just out it in your drawer and hang onto it. i've done it and got a bill........ that i fought for months, that they agreed to and i honestly don't think it was ever credited to my credit card. Up until that i was a huge fan. Got there stuff in almost every scale model i've had. most come for turbines or glow and these parts make electric conversions easy

look under "gears" "spur gears" then "belts & cables" has "timing belts" the mod you choose is the gap between teeth and has to match gear to belt

Last edited by a moderator:

JCNH

Thank you Chris and Kloner. I feel like I had my head up my a$$ when I couldn't find the stuff and it looks like i never even took the time to check some of the obvious places. That's why I love this forum.

jes1111

The ServoCity/Lynxmotion timing pulley is a reasonable "fall back" choice, but there are much better ways to go if you really want a well engineered end result. For a start, it's an MXL profile, which is far from ideal, not designed for precision bidirectional positioning - it introduces its own backlash to an already backlash-happy servo. GT2, GT3 and HTD profiles are a much better bet. The difficulty is always attaching gears/pulleys to the servo. Two general ways: ServoCity's shaft attachment (several sizes available) which allow you to fit a plain-bore pinion gear or pulley, and a round servo "horn" (http://www.servocity.com/html/servo_hub.html or Futaba/Hitec originals) to which you can bolt a pulley/gear (which has to be accurately drilled).

Backlash is THE big enemy - in gears/pulleys but also in bearings. A timing belt may mask the unconstrained rotation ("lost motion") that is the symptom of backlash but it can never remove the delay and the kick which occurs when the transmission train reverses direction. Zero backlash is one of the big reasons the Zenmuse is so effective.

JCNH

Thankd for the input, Jess. This has been my first venture into servos and it's been a learning experience to say the least. I picked up a simple X468 XT gimble a few months ago and for the cost and some minor modifications it has worked well for me. One of the links snapped off so instead of just fixing it I thought I'd perform a bit of an upgrade using some gears or belt pully's to smooth out the action. There are always a bunch of different ways of doing things like this so i'm just playing around trying to find the most cost effective way. I guess the first thing I should really do is learn a bit more about the different models (i.e. torque, range of motion, etc.) Engineer by trade so overthinking it seems to be in my genes.
Jim C.