This could go horribly wrong.....

nismo

Well, about to embark on my first build, and in typical manner, I'm not going down the sensible, complete kit in a box that requires assembly route, so please bear with me on this. Have done an intro on the new members forum, so that'll give you an idea of my (lack of) experience! Currently got a Phantom 3 Advanced, which is brilliant, and want to build my own multi rotor to do all the things that I wouldn't do with the Phantom - tweek, modify, experiment with, fly fast and low, through obstacles etc, and if I do break it, I can fix it, and there won't be tears before bedtime. So, am not doing this with a set purpose in mind, it doesn't need to be a super stable camera platform, just be fun to fly, and ideally be a little different. The chavved up, modified car of multi rotors if you will. Would like to be able to get it up in the air relatively inexpensively, and be able to add to it as time goes on. GPS is a must, I love how the Phantom will just sit there if you take your hands off the controls, and maybe not intially, but some form of FPV would be great. Doesn't need to be on a gimbal or anything, just a forward facing camera will be fine to assist with the flying. All the other toys can and will come later. Will gladly take all advice, recommendations and tips on the build, what to go for, what to avoid etc.

Thanks,

Stu

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Sounds like you might be interested in an FPV racer. Head over to the group build that @Bartman started. That should get you thinking about options.

If you want GPS, I think the Naza32 full version allows this?

nismo

Sounds like it'll be well worth a look! All I have seen of the FPV racers so far are the youtube vids, those guys have some serious skills!! Have only seen the mini (?) racers so far, not sure if there are bigger classes or not. From what I have seen, it's kind of where I want to go, but those guys are about pure lightweight, speed and agility - I'd be prepared to sacrifice some performance for styling and there is no way with my current ability that I wouldn't crash a racer in minutes!! Plus a bigger airframe would allow more easily for future expansions and if I ever decided on a camera or such, the room and power to carry a payload. With that in mind, the frame has been ordered!! Pics in due course :) Seems my first build is going to be a Y-6

Old Man

Considering you want to fly low and fast something a little smaller might be more prudent. Record video if desired from something like an 800TVL FPV cam instead of an under slung and expensive gimbaled Go Pro. Banging into the ground or other natural fixed obstacles is pretty common in the flight profile and the smaller stuff is less expensive to repair. Either way you go, have fun with it!

nismo

Thanks guys. It's not just fast and low, although that is part of it. Have bought and built the frame, would like to say that the choice was carefully considered down to weight, durability, configuration etc, but it wasn't! Purely looks.... will post pics up later on. But, and now committed to an IY-6 config, so could be interesting for a first build! Was thinking of sticking with DJI for the flight controller, looking at either the Naza V1 or V2. Anyone got any experience of what the real life differences are? Or recommended alternatives? Thanks in advance

nismo

Attachments

• 20150611_193253.jpg
    20150611_193253.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 313

nismo

Maybe not to everyone's taste, but I like it, something completely different! Big enough to allow lots of expansion too, so ticks all the boxes. Really want to go for the triple bladed folding carbon props, they look awesome, will make transportation easier, and the triple blades will keep the Y configuration theme

Old Man

It does look cool. The square tube arms are quite practical, making for easy to obtain replacement if damaged. They also allow for a lot of length experimentation if desired. Looks like a little imagination will be in order when mounting motors though.

nismo

Thanks, do love the look of it, just something a bit different. Motor mounting I'm not too worried about, but positioning the ESCs could require a little creativity. Would prefer them inboard to keep it looking neat, although that will require pretty long lengths of wire between the ESCs and motors. Been thinking a bit more about the overall purpose of it and have a bit of a plan now - if I go along the powerful, big lift route, it should keep it pretty versatile. Run it with a single battery and no payload it should have good performance, but then I also have the option of an additional battery for endurance, or camera or other payload if I later decide to do that. So, trying to decide on the next steps....

Flight controller, I was looking at going DJI Naza. I know that there are cheaper options, but my Phantom 3 is amazing and have a lot of faith in it so am confident the Naza will be good. Obviously willing to listen and look into recommended alternatives. Struggling a bit with what the real world differences are between the Lite and V2, so would be really interested in what people have to say on that. Obviously there is a cost difference, but would be prepared to pay the extra if it was likely that down the line I'd regret not going for the V2....

Motors and ESC wise I'm looking at 2830s, around the 1000kva area - seems pretty standard. Saw these on Ebay that to me look like they might be ideal, does anyone have any experience with them?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ProFlight...t=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item2a2fef2e0e

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ProFlight...exa-Copter-Excels-Turnigy-Plush-/170976463470

ESC response seems good, and might be a benefit going for matched ESCs and motors? Did originally want (and still do) the triple bladed folding carbon props, purely for the aesthetics in keeping with the Y configuration, but the same person does a potentially very interesting prop - again, might be a benefit to matching props, escs and motors?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ProFlight...Propeller-Quadcopter-Hexacopter-/171559390513

nismo

Flight controller arrived today and fitted :) Went for the Naxa Lite in the end, one came up at a really good price so that was the decision made! Was a bit worried that the GPS module would look out of place, but think it looks ok now its on. Have a bit of an OCD with wires, hate seeing other home made multis with wires everywhere, looks awful in my opinion, so spent quite a lot of time laying everything out, and planning on where all the stuff that I haven't got yet is going to go. Even went so far as felt patches over any edges of the frame that a wire runs over to stop any chafing So far, very pleased with the results.

View attachment 25535

View attachment 25536

View attachment 25537

View attachment 25538

Attachments

• 20150711_192518.jpg
    20150711_192518.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 425
  • 20150711_192541.jpg
    20150711_192541.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 413
  • 20150711_192552.jpg
    20150711_192552.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 402
  • 20150711_192607.jpg
    20150711_192607.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 442

nismo

Ok, so bit of an update, obviously the Naza is installed, a friend has kindly donated a spare Phantom 2 controller to the cause, so need to find a receiver compatible with the Naza Lite and Phantom 2 transmitter - if anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated! Think I have made the decision on esc's, motors and props, although it does limit me to a 4s battery maximum, but should still give enough of a turn of speed (I hope!). Sorted out my layout as to where everything is going to go and managed to leave quite a bit of space for future additions which is good. Ordered a power distribution board to help keep the wiring tidy, going to be a bit of a nightmare doing the wiring, but the end result will be worth it. Will have a spare slot on the distribution board after the 6 for the motors and one for the Naza, so am sure that will come in handy!

nismo

Latest update - motor, prop and esc choice has changed completely, power distribution board (that hasn't arrived yet) is now useless for this build :(, may be able to tweek it to handle the extra power, will see when it gets here. Suppose there is a lot to be said for forward planning......

ESC wise, a lot of what I have read recommends SimonK software, anyone got any thoughts on this? Is it a must have? Thanks in advance

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
i haven't had good results from the ESC's with SimonK firmware. SimonK started making firmware back when motors started getting larger in diameter with high pole counts, standard ESC's didn't do well with them. Nowadays, stock ESC's are better better able to handle these "pancake" motors and the SimonK stuff isn't as necessary as it was.

just my 2 cents, for what it's worth...or, if i were to abbreviate that, JMTCFWIW

nismo

Ah brilliant thanks, very good to know, opens up a lot more choices :) Any recommendations on securing them? Will be running them inboard as I hate wires and stuff cable tied to the arms, and as I imagine that they will get a tad warm, a hot glue gun for example wouldn't be a great idea?

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Cable ties are the way to go. Less contact will help with heat. If they're inboard the center plates - you won't barely see them.

nismo

Good idea, looking at the frame, it's basically a space frame, so cable ties inboard should be possible. Don't mind the cable ties inside, just not a fan of the look of having stuff cable tied to the arms externally. I know it's just me being weird, but it would really bug me so will be worth the extra work. Already planned to run the wire to the motors inside the arms so it isn't visible and just gives it a cleaner look, or that is the plan at least!

nismo

Need to get over my DJI addiction, this "cheap" build is rapidly becoming more expensive by the day. Or should I say night - working nights at the moment, so far too much time for online research and shopping....... But, on the plus side, ordered a shiny new DJI DT7 & DR16 set so making progress! Looks delightfully simple to install (one connector, even I can manage that!) but a little unsure about antenna orientation. Am assuming on the underside is the way forward, as hopefully at least the scorpion will be higher than me, and have loads of space in the nose, so that is covered, just not sure how to position the two wire antennae, horizontal, vertical, what angle between them, any suggestions? Thanks in advance :)