Things They Do Not Tell You

Yes, that would perfectly explain it. I didn't want to jump to any conclusion as to what you had done with the transmitter controls, but if you had kept the sticks in the corner, that would account for it.

So if you believe that is what you had done, and you're ready to venture outdoors and try this, then here's some basic startup instructions. Again, trying to get the MR in the air is skipping some calibration and checkout steps that I would recommend, namely confirmation that your transmitter sticks are calibrated (which I am guessing Ken did setup properly) and calibration of the compass (which Ken could not have done for you because of the east/west position change between you two).

So for advice on how to start the MR...
Take the MR outside and place somewhere where it could capture some satellites. All you need is 5, so even a 30' by 30' yard should be good enough for that.

Plug in the battery and you should hear the FC/ESCs startup with a little beeping sound. The LED should be flashing 2 greens, followed by 3 red, then repeat. The two greens means that you are in GPS mode, and that your left stick is all the way down. Wait for a while... approximately 20-40 seconds. As you wait, you should see the 3 reds, then drop to 2 red blinks, then to 1 red blink, then ideally, no red blinks and just the 2 green blinks. Once you are down to no red blinks, or at worse, 1 blink, you should be able to take off.

To start the motors, push both sticks to the bottom/left, or the bottom/right (it doesn't matter which), and as soon as you see the motors spin, let go of the sticks. That should make the left stick jump to bottom/middle, and the right stick to middle/middle. If you don't do anything, within 3 seconds the motors will shutoff. So before 3 seconds is up, push the left stick just a little up from the bottom. You should see or hear no difference in the MR motor spinning. However, when the left stick moves up to the halfway point, you'll hear the motors spinup to close to takeoff speed. At that point, if you nudge the left stick just another hair more, the MR should lift off the ground. At this point, your fingers on those stick will be controlling everything. Since you are in GPS mode, then the MR should stay put position-wise if the right stick is centered. But that isn't the case for the left stick. For you to maintain altitude or keep it from going up of coming down to the ground, you will pretty much have to find that "sweat" spot on the left stick that will hold that altitude. But it's a good idea to always keep your left finger on the left stick at all times just to always be ready to adjust altitude. Your right stick is basically a command to change position, and how far you have it deflected will dictate the speed at which it changes that position.

Hope this gets you off the ground and able to see your MR get off the ground, and do some small movement around your yard.

I can't thank you enough WannaBe for these instructions. I finally have something concrete to work with.

I have been thinking that due to my inexperience and inate ineptitude that it might be wise to build a Test Stand with which I could safely acquire the flying ability and confidence needed to safely fly my machine for the first time. I found Dave Herbert's video on how to build a Test Stand on You Tube and I think that is just what I need with possibly some slight modifications.

I was having trouble with the Assistant Software program, but then I just found the Assistant Software Installation and Configuration section in the NAZA Quick Start Guide and I'm going to follow those instructions.

I'm sorry if I seem dense, but all this NAZA stuff is completely new to me.

Chris

Chris,
Sounds like you have a good plan of attack. Just FYI, for the next 2-1/2 weeks my involvement on the forum is going to take a hit because of traveling. But that's the great thing about this forum, you'll find plenty of people willing to help you through this.
Catcha around!
Tim

Attachments

• Where is Ken.JPG
    Where is Ken.JPG
    18.4 KB · Views: 197

bensid54

I have a Naza and Flamewheel quad I'll still be around and be more clear on my explanations, I will make a point to not mislead you.

I have a Naza and Flamewheel quad I'll still be around and be more clear on my explanations, I will make a point to not mislead you.

I'm really at my wits end ben. I downloaded the NAZA-M Quick Start Guide for V 1.0. I am immediately faced with UPGRADES. Should I attempt to make these UPGRADES? Will they screw up what Ken has set up? At one point it says, "Since v3.16 upgrade will reset all parameters, make sure to refigure all parameters in the Assistant Software after upgrading firmware." I have no idea what parameters Ken set nor do I know how to reconfigure those parameters. Upgrading would surely change everything and then I'll really be out on a very skinny limb because I can't be sure of what to do next. None of this would have mattered because Ken said, "Once I ship it off I'll send you some detailed instructions you will need to get it together and in the air for the first time, I'll also label the transmitter switches so you know exactly what mode it is in by the switch position along with the flashing LED of the Naza."

Ken hasn't posted since he put my machine in the mail. He never sent me the detailed instructions and it appears as if he just dropped off the planet. I have tried to wrap my head around all of this, but I no longer have the concentration to absorb it, but even if I could I do not want to nullify anything Ken has done. I'm sure he set it up in the best way possible, but I can't know without those detailed instructions.

Anyway, thanks for listening to my woes,
Chris

bensid54

Hi Chris DO NOT upgrade you WILL LOSE ALL YOUR SETTINGS. That screen comes up every time you start the Naza Assist get past that screen and you will see the choices for your settings such as TX and autopilot push any one of those and it will show your settings for that tab. MAKE SURE your radio is ON, you are plugged into the computer and your machine is plugged, there should be a steady green light.

bensid54

Don't change any setting but play with the switches on your radio to see what happens on the screen when you get to the green light in the above posting. That will show you the commands your radio is giving your machine.

Don't change any setting but play with the switches on your radio to see what happens on the screen when you get to the green light in the above posting. That will show you the commands your radio is giving your machine.

Thanks ben. When I plugged in my machine today I did get a steady green light, which I figured was a good thing. I will follow the rest of your advice tomorrow and let you know what happens.

Chris

bensid54

OK Chris When it goes into the download screen it will tell you what you have and what the latest is for firmware. If it works you don't need to change it and if it were me and it works I would never change it or download new firmware.

OK Chris When it goes into the download screen it will tell you what you have and what the latest is for firmware. If it works you don't need to change it and if it were me and it works I would never change it or download new firmware.

Hi ben,
My machine is plugged into the computer, myTX is on and I have a steady green light.

When I start NAZA Assist I get a Firmware Upgrade screen. When I Exit that I get the following screen. The little blue light in the bottom left hand corner blinks:

View attachment 13628

I don't see any choices for settings such as TX and Autopilot.

What am I doing wrong?

Yours Confusedly,
Chris

Attachments

• 1st Screen.JPG
    1st Screen.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 486
Last edited by a moderator:

bensid54

See the icons at the top left click on settings and check that out. Those icons on the top is where you want to go just don't make any changes or press the write button if you see an icon that says write and may have a picture of a pen.

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
If you don't want to update the firmware and and put new settings in to the Naza you will have to get a copy of the older Naza Assistant.

Pete

See the icons at the top left click on settings and check that out. Those icons on the top is where you want to go just don't make any changes or press the write button if you see an icon that says write and may have a picture of a pen.

I'm sorry ben, I can find no icon in the screen I sent you that allows me to click on settings.

Do those icons work at all?

Yes,they work, but don't you have the same program? If not, download the one I have and you will see how they work. Then you can tell me what's wrong. I think we're talking about two different programs. If so, how can I use the one I have? I downloaded the NAZA Quick Start Guide v1.0 bcause Ken said that the NAZA Unit he installed was V1. How could I have gone wrong?