the one that nearly got away !

dazza22

hi

this is my first post , so hello everybody.

just had the shock of my life (well , quite a shock).

i have a quad with NAZA hobbywing 20a skywalker esc , and futuba 2.4ghz transmitter and a 2.4 ghzFASST
Corona R8FA Reciever and 100kv motors.

i have been fixed wing flying since the early 90s ,but multicopter flying for only 2 weeks. so still very green.

anyway i was testing the quad in my garden i throttled up to take off speed lifted to about 4feet .

then all of a suddenly the quad went vertical to about 50-60 ft without any input by me .

of course i throttled all the way back , but nothing . then it shot in to the distance maintaining its altitude .

luckily i have fields behind , and i found it about around 1/2km away .

i think it hit some tall trees ?

anyway as anyone any ideas how or why , it could ingore my commandes and not failsafe ?

cheers darren

Curb

Think I'll be doing a little more research and avidly waiting for responses on your thread before tomorrow's maiden of my F450. Great to hear you managed to recover it.

kloner

Aerial DP
Have you ever range checked the rx/tx? was this rx in anything that crashed before going into your multi.

They don't just automaticly go into fail safe, you have to program it to do it but if you didn't hit a switch accidentaly, i'd expect the same results just trying again without figuring out the cause

jhardway

Hey Dazza22: not sure what you were doing or how long you had the unit on before you took to the skies, my first guess is that you had it in fail safe mode, somehow and once you got off the ground and it took in a GPS signal, it went into Fail/Safe mode, climbed to the fail safe height and took off for the location it had in its memory. If it was the first flight and if the GPS did not have the local coordinates. Then finding it 1/2km seems possible and lucky. It is a agile beast but at the end of the day it's a beast, until you really have a good understanding on how it works. Then having situations as explained can happen. It has to me, its all a learning experience.

Don't get discouraged just keep at it, try to read thoroughly through the manual a few times, at that point you will see things start making sense. Also keep reading through these post, here is where you will learn the most.

Cheers Jack

Stacky

I had a Naza fly away from me a week back while using an old Futaba with a corona rx. However I think my problem wasnt the Naza but the old Futaba. I had previously experienced a signal drop out and thought I had set my failsafe correctly but its more than likely that I hadnt. Luckily you got yours back, mine just slowly wandered off out of sight etc. The only saving grace for me was it was a very cheap build with the battery and Naza loss being the biggest annoyance.

dazza22

I had a Naza fly away from me a week back while using an old Futaba with a corona rx. However I think my problem wasnt the Naza but the old Futaba. I had previously experienced a signal drop out and thought I had set my failsafe correctly but its more than likely that I hadnt. Luckily you got yours back, mine just slowly wandered off out of sight etc. The only saving grace for me was it was a very cheap build with the battery and Naza loss being the biggest annoyance.

hi everybody and thanks for your help.
sorry about your loss .

i get the feeling that it is a tx ,rx issue , as this was the first flight since i had repositioned (around 25-30 short flights before moving gear) the naza ,rx and naza power board .

i have ground tested (without props) but cant get the same result .

i will be switching the rx to a futuba 2.4ghz before the next flight and placing the corona in a foamie airplane .

cheers

dazza22

hi and thanks for advise . this is the first airframe the rx as been in .
i am going through the naza instructions again and checking the fail safe ,to make sure i have it set properly .

i do think the problem is the way i had positioned the control equipment .

but i will be alot more cautious in future

cheers

DennyR

Hey Dazza22: not sure what you were doing or how long you had the unit on before you took to the skies, my first guess is that you had it in fail safe mode, somehow and once you got off the ground and it took in a GPS signal, it went into Fail/Safe mode, climbed to the fail safe height and took off for the location it had in its memory. If it was the first flight and if the GPS did not have the local coordinates. Then finding it 1/2km seems possible and lucky. It is a agile beast but at the end of the day it's a beast, until you really have a good understanding on how it works. Then having situations as explained can happen. It has to me, its all a learning experience.

Don't get discouraged just keep at it, try to read thoroughly through the manual a few times, at that point you will see things start making sense. Also keep reading through these post, here is where you will learn the most.

Cheers Jack
I dont think a Naza could acquire a GPS coordinate. More like interference and bad failsafe setting.

dazza22

Cheers Jack

hi
thanks for reply , but i think were are not talking about the same system , mine is the naza which as on gps .its thse base DJi system .
but still , thanks again for taking time to help...

RCNut

I'm using Corona RX's with a DX6i on my F450 and on my Tricopter and having no range problems at all. In fact I now use Corona RX's exclusively in everything I fly including EDF's and gliders and never had an issue or a glitch. Now that I'm flying more FPV I'm about to add a Corona satellite RX for extra security under poor signal conditions but I have full confidence in them.

TAPPEDOUT

Never had a problem. I use Spektrum master and satellite receiver. Be sure to calculate midpoint of travel adjust when setting A and M modes. Cheaper Transmitters may drift and put Naza in failsafe, then drifts off with winds.
Naza does not have GPS.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

dazza22

Never had a problem. I use Spektrum master and satellite receiver. Be sure to calculate midpoint of travel adjust when setting A and M modes. Cheaper Transmitters may drift and put Naza in failsafe, then drifts off with winds.
Naza does not have GPS.

hi
since the problem last saturday , i change rx (just to be on safe side) .and rerouted all leads .
and have flown about 3hours in total with no problems .

i no theys no gps i think the other member who mentioned gps was a little mixed up with the dji systems.

as mentioned before my gut feeling is it was bad routed cables and leads that somehow cause some sort of interfearance .
as for the fail safe i have test transmitter and no problems (futaba 6ex 2.4). and beleive me it didnt just drift with wind , it was of like a rocket.

but thanks for help

cheers darren

TAPPEDOUT

More than 1 receiver a plus because antenna diversity. The range that activates A and M modes is very narrow too. I think was only 10 points on my JR 9503 Transmitter. I adjusted till just turned Blue then went 5 more points. Never experienced drift on JR but cheaper radios may!

Good luck on a great FC.