The new F1 Gimbal (Air Studio/Phobotic) for GH4 sized cameras

The F1 Gimbal is a result of a cooperation between Air Studio (HD Air Studio) and Phobotic, aimed at creating the perfect, reference-grade gimbal.

DfgroKq.jpg

A significant effort was focused on getting a gimbal that's as light and as stiff as possible. For this we used an innovative construction technique using CNC machined aircraft grade aluminum bonded with high quality carbon fiber reinforcement plates. This construction method offers unrivaled stiffness at a very light weight.
In addition, specially designed motors are used with oversized, high-precision bearings for creating the smoothest movement possible.

The F1 Gimbal features a tool-less fast balancing system for quickly switching between different cameras and lenses, and has a new vibration damping system.
The supported payload is cameras up to 1.2kg/2,65lb (BMPCC/GH3/GH4/Nex5,6,7/A7S and similar).

The F1 Gimbal features a complete electronics suite from Phobotic, based on the new Micropiece controller with an option of the Spectar IMU or the upcoming Serenity high-end IMU. Other electronic modules will be announced later.

The F1 Gimbal is entirely plug-and-play, with everything already assembled and ready to go using Phobotic autotune algorithms.

Expected availability is towards the end of the year, with pre-orders probably starting in early December.

We will update this thread with additional information and footage.

SamaraMedia

That's pretty sweet looking. Just bought a tppacks 100 for the Lumix LX100, that's supposed to be plug and play for your Phobotic control too correct? Camera arrived yesterday, waiting for PC to be available again.

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
The F1 Gimbal is a result of a cooperation between Air Studio (HD Air Studio) and Phobotic,

What exactly does cooperation mean?

So can you tell us more about how your cooperating? Have you worked hand in hand to get a specific profile for the gimbal or will you be relying on the standard "autotune" to set up the gimbal.

The unit does look nice, thanks in advance for your answer!

Last edited by a moderator:

The mechanical part is designed and manufactured by HD Air Studio, while the electronics are of course made by Phobotic. The gimbal does not have special firmware (we really try NOT to go there for reasons of maintainability and updates).
There's no special profile either. We rely on the standard Phobotic autotuning algorithms.

What's special here is that the mechanics were optimized early on in accordance with all the data we gathered in our testing and CP development, and there other other pro-grade features added such as the tool-less balancing mechanism.

gael

Great ! I was looking for a gimbal like this. There is only one thing boring me, the yaw motor not on bearing...

jfro

Aerial Fun
If we get the horizon figured out on my gh4 setup, I can't imagine wanting anything better than my setup, unless I found one that was significantly lighter and tool-less adjustments for quicker conversions. It looks very cool.

One of my previous gimbals was smaller and more compact, and I found it harder to use from the standpoint of all the tight spaces hanging under my MR.
It will be interesting to see how this works out. I would guess you'll get it dialed in and get good video, but it will be interesting to see if it has a better usability factor when changing camera's & lens.

jakuban

Great ! I was looking for a gimbal like this. There is only one thing boring me, the yaw motor not on bearing...
Thanks! Don't worry about the yaw axis. I know what's important to make each axis supported enough. Engines are customized for F1.

Just look at the bearing size on those motors. They're massive. We're stiffness fanatics, won't release anything not absolutely solid.

Amerly

That is a beautiful and compact gimbal ! I hope to see specs (over all dimensions, weight, cage dimensions, etc...) video and pricing soon !

Cheers !

Last edited by a moderator:

hjls3

Samur - thank you for the info. Do you know how the gimbal will be delivered? Will it simply be balance camera/gimbal and its good to go?

jakuban

hjls3 - yes, Just balance gimbal useing easy balancing system, run autotune and that's all! :)
Of course - you need to mount it on the drone frame:)

SamaraMedia

hjls3 - yes, Just balance gimbal useing easy balancing system, run autotune and that's all! :)
Of course - you need to mount it on the drone frame:)

When do you see item being in production, cost and delivery date?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jakuban

Mass production starts very soon. In the beginning of December we will open pre-order and first units should be shipped out before Christmas.

jfro

Aerial Fun
The prototype weighs about 990 grams, we intend to keep it around this weight for production.
It would be very light.

1000 grams or less is impressive. Might temp me depending on price. I think my gh4 /5d setup is around 1700g. I'm using oversized motors, so that's part of my weight, but even with 5208's, it wouldn't be anywhere near 1000g......

Is the default going to come with 1 or 2 imu setup?