FAA Seminar on UAV's - Denver, CO.

dazzab

For any of you in the Denver area, the FSDO is hosting a seminar for pilots on "what UAV's are and what they do". Interesting that they are holding this since they (FAA) seem to barely know themselves.. at least from our perspective.

Here's the link: http://www.faasafety.gov/SPANS/event_details.aspx?eid=57622
Before you waste your time and money have a watch of Jim Williams at the 2014 sUSB conference in San Francisco.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ronan

:dejection: Seriously need to step up their game... Look over the pound at UK and all the wonderful things they are doing!

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
The fact that one of the people influencing the outcome of a debate, which is largely centered on rapidly advancing technology, can not figure out how to use a mouse on a laptop, is downright terrifying....

Old Man

Even more so is the desire to use existing aircraft certification processes and licensed Commercial Pilots. In the latter category I'm OK but most of the rest of you folks are fooked. Interesting they used the S. E. example for the Arctic operation. So much they left out. Yep, they started with 4...

scotth

I can't figure out how the FAA will have the manpower to administer anything UAV related. It's impossible enough now to deal with some of these FSDO's on full size aircraft issues. I wait days, weeks sometimes for return phone calls or emails on matters involving their normal duties.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Before you waste your time and money have a watch of Jim Williams at the 2014 sUSB conference in San Francisco.

It's interesting if you look at who Jim Williams is, his background consists of big complicated projects that center on technology and integration. What we're doing is similar but so different as to render his prior experience worthless. sUAS should have been trimmed front the larger UAS program and handed off to a summer intern to manage. it's literally that simple.

Last edited by a moderator:

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
It's interesting if you look at who Jim Williams is, his background consists of big complicated projects that center on technology and integration. What we're doing is similar but so different as to render his prior experience worthless. sUAS should have been trimmed front the larger UAS program and handed off to a summer intern to manage. it's literally that simple.

good god! Where would the summer intern have ended up with the laptop mouse issue??? :)

kloner

Aerial DP
what a weird forum there putting on there.

Understanding the roles of Military, Civilian and Government use of UAVs to all pilots is now a requirement.

Huh?

Seating:
60 seats at the facility, 52 remaining for online registration.

haha

Falcon is Ag Eagle, other guy is a small dji uav shop....

scotth

Exactly.. and the problem is whatever (mis)information is spread at these get togethers too easily gets written into any future regs. Just look at that NPRM on FPV.

Old Man

The early focus was on the extreme danger of sUAS to the public, which in both cases in the video referenced a multirotor. No mention of the much larger, winged, and faster moving aircraft which he extolled for the Arctic operations, which has a miserable incident rate, making it and similar a greater threat.

kloner

Aerial DP
I was in flight school the other day and a new pilot came in and i kept hearing mentions of uav's. at the end of class i approached thinking he had a multi biz or something, he was the flight instructor for aerovironment..... the forementioned operation. i was kinda surprised an outfit flying with faa certification in america didn't need a faa licensed instructor teaching there class. he just wants to commute faster,,, ok

scotth

The early focus was on the extreme danger of sUAS to the public, which in both cases in the video referenced a multirotor. No mention of the much larger, winged, and faster moving aircraft which he extolled for the Arctic operations, which has a miserable incident rate, making it and similar a greater threat.

I would like to revisit the extreme dangers of turkey buzzards. I witnessed two guys flying this thing in to Kissimmee I think it was, years ago after hitting one. Doesn't have the sex appeal of a 'drone' near miss though.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 1518101_10152128116352148_253481106_o.jpg
    1518101_10152128116352148_253481106_o.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 168

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
Falcon is Ag Eagle, other guy is a small dji uav shop....

I don't think Chris Miser of Falcon UAV has anything to do with Ag Eagle.

Chris is good people. He's one of the leading people Actually Getting Things Done (tm) in this industry. IIRC, he's ex-military UAV engineering, and is now running a successful startup. He actually has professional product that actually works, for sale today. Mostly focused on the SAR and surveillance industry though. He's done a lot of work with anti-poaching efforts in Africa.

Old Man

Regarding instructor level UAV flight instructors, AND test "pilots", only Where the Air Force is operating Predator and Global Hawk is a pilot's license required. Most UAV instructors would kill themselves if they tried to fly an ultralight. I've always felt that someone that taught flying something in civil airspace should be qualified as a pilot. Instead they have only brained an FAA medical and taken either the Private Pilot written test or the Fundamentals of Instruction written. Toss in a quick multiple choice on Sectional charts and, voila, you're qualified to teach flying UAV's. it's been this way for at least 10 years.

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
Yes, that's him. He would also make a great candidate for that position you're looking for. He's a straight shooter, no bull****ter, knows what he's talking about. Highly competent in operations, though he may know less about MR engineering than me. Big voice. He spoke at the last two Dronecons and did a good job.

That Denver Post article... it's not quite how it appears to be. He knew exactly what he was doing, and had permission from at least some of the authorities, and was working in concert with them. What happened, or what that article suggests happened, was more an example of operational confusion, and... I'm not sure what fact-checking the Denver Post did before labelling Allen Bishop a "nationally recognized drone expert". I had to google him, and once I did, I realized who he was...

Trust me, there's history there.

I spoke with him at Dronecon this year. Actually, he approached me after my talk. Anyway, I don't want to say more publicly.

But put it this way. One of the two is ex-US-military UAV, and has a successful business with product that actually works, actually in operation. The other is a "sherrif's reserve volunteer", "amateur radio operator", and an "expert on drones". He has a UAV company also, but I'm not sure any of his machines have actually flown. But I guess he was sitting on the right side of the fence on this one.

FlyGirl

this is him?

http://www.falconunmanned.com

ouch
http://www.denverpost.com/breakingn...rado-drone-companies-warned-about-flying-over

last week in flight training i almost bought a turkey buzzard, 10' off the right side climbing out, when i saw it i veered to avoid it but my instructor never saw it, grabbed the yoke and tried making me fly right into it. we were in a valley climbing out looking at a dark hill with a black bird in it

Was that the intense instructor Steve?

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
Regarding instructor level UAV flight instructors, AND test "pilots", only Where the Air Force is operating Predator and Global Hawk is a pilot's license required. Most UAV instructors would kill themselves if they tried to fly an ultralight. I've always felt that someone that taught flying something in civil airspace should be qualified as a pilot. Instead they have only brained an FAA medical and taken either the Private Pilot written test or the Fundamentals of Instruction written. Toss in a quick multiple choice on Sectional charts and, voila, you're qualified to teach flying UAV's. it's been this way for at least 10 years.

I would agree that maybe a UAV *instructor* should be qualified as a manned pilot, just to make sure that they're teaching from the right perspective... I would not want it to be a requirement for all UAV pilots. The skills do not cross over at all. There's plenty of anecdote out there about manned pilots thinking they can fly these "toys" and immediately crashing them. It's the same way, I'm a pretty hot shoe in a real car on a track, but get my *** kicked by 12 year olds on driving sims. The skills are not the same.

I would like to see UAV pilot's have to pass some rational ground school to learn about airspace regulations, etc. But they shouldn't have to put their butts in a cockpit. Maybe at the most, take them up in a 152 so they can understand what it's like to have your butt in one of those sardine cans.