The DJI rant thread

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
There are one or two posts that credit a couple of DJI representatives with attempting to be helpful but these are lost in the swathe of posts of frustration or anger with DJI for their lack of customer concern, particularly with regard to their 'upgrade' policy where original equipment has either failed or been proven to be inadequate in some way and DJI owners are expected to shell out for replacements. We know that DJI trolls these pages so why not gather all the complaints into one easy to follow rant and see whether or not they feel the need to contribute.

Look upon it as a sort of petition to DJI to change their ways by offering real support to paying customers. It is all very well to try and place the burden upon the dealers but in reality there is little they can do because they have to deal with the same attitudes from DJI China.

All these S800 v2 upgrades (ESC's, GPS, OSD, IMU and now booms) should be quality control replacements - in the same way that Toyota recalled two million cars to have the brakes problem rectified and then recalled another few million cars to fix a steering issue.

Evidently, the Japanese have more moral backbone than the Chinese.

Messrs. DJI? You really do not like adverse publicity, because it is shameful. And yet you induce it with your very own actions. Please take note of the following:

Your duty is to your existing customers and the onus is upon you to replace at your own expense, products with problems resulting from faulty design or manufacture. You have sold me (and quite a few other people too) a complete Professional Aerial Photography System (to use your very own description). I bought it last November - that is just four months ago - and it has been unreliable from the outset, immediately displayed this very disconcerting random height loss issue. As I was in Africa and flying it for the first time I thought perhaps the problem was related to excessive heat or altitude. But no. It turns out that you have sold me a duff IMU. And now, to add insult to injury, you even want to charge me for replacing it with one that works ??

You bring up a good point. Setting aside some communication issues with the product documentation (which many fail to read and/or understand fully) DJI and the final customer remain highly dependant upon to dealer who must provide quality support and fairness to the buyer. When they buffer effectively the manufacturer and the product buyer can remain satisfied. Same situation occurs with vehicle dealerships. If your dealer drops the ball, DJI looks bad...... and/or time to find a better dealer which is not always possible in some parts of the world. In any case good luck with your efforts...... we can all benefit.:dejection:

There are one or two posts that credit a couple of DJI representatives with attempting to be helpful but these are lost in the swathe of posts of frustration or anger with DJI for their lack of customer concern, particularly with regard to their 'upgrade' policy where original equipment has either failed or been proven to be inadequate in some way and DJI owners are expected to shell out for replacements. We know that DJI trolls these pages so why not gather all the complaints into one easy to follow rant and see whether or not they feel the need to contribute.

Look upon it as a sort of petition to DJI to change their ways by offering real support to paying customers. It is all very well to try and place the burden upon the dealers but in reality there is little they can do because they have to deal with the same attitudes from DJI China.

All these S800 v2 upgrades (ESC's, GPS, OSD, IMU and now booms) should be quality control replacements - in the same way that Toyota recalled two million cars to have the brakes problem rectified and then recalled another few million cars to fix a steering issue.

Evidently, the Japanese have more moral backbone than the Chinese.

Messrs. DJI? You really do not like adverse publicity, because it is shameful. And yet you induce it with your very own actions. Please take note of the following:

Your duty is to your existing customers and the onus is upon you to replace at your own expense, products with problems resulting from faulty design or manufacture. You have sold me (and quite a few other people too) a complete Professional Aerial Photography System (to use your very own description). I bought it last November - that is just four months ago - and it has been unreliable from the outset, immediately displayed this very disconcerting random height loss issue. As I was in Africa and flying it for the first time I thought perhaps the problem was related to excessive heat or altitude. But no. It turns out that you have sold me a duff IMU. And now, to add insult to injury, you even want to charge me for replacing it with one that works ??

Serval

Mombasaflash, you get a great idea.
Also, that is a good way to share with others customers, and dealers too.

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Mombasaflash, you get a great idea...

The intention of this thread is not just to ***** about DJI but to gather all the complaints in one place to a) compare the problems and b) assemble a sufficient number of documented issues that DJI can be confronted with a huge number of 'complaints'. Without doubt they will come to know of this thread and perhaps, just perhaps they might take it seriously if enough of us complain in the same place about their way of doing things or about perceived inadequacies in their equipment.

This should NOT include Pilot Error or faulty construction/configuration issues.

In other words a 'constructive' ***** at DJI.

So, you may have written it elsewhere in one of the many threads that have posts moaning about DJI in some way but write it again here so that all the problems are listed in one place for them and everyone else to see. Current comments relating to DJI procedures, policy or faulty gear are spread around all over the place and it is therefore difficult to assess the scale of dissatisfaction.

I have a complaint. When in GPS or Atti mode I find that my F550 does not have enough forward angle or have enough roll angle to compensate for wind some times. If we were allowed to change the max pitch angle it would be awesome. Not only would the Naza-m be able to compensate for wind, but I could really get some good speed in the other modes for sport flying without having to be in full manual.

Seems like a good idea from my perspective. Perhaps the Assistant software should offer three interface modes:
a) Beginner or Novice
b) Intermediate
c) Advanced (which would offer the pilot to adjust the roll and pitch angle limitations)

The other two modes would make the more advanced options disappear from the Assistant screens or become grayed out so that beginners and intermediate could not get in over their heads. Each additional experience level would require a special password access etc.

I have a complaint. When in GPS or Atti mode I find that my F550 does not have enough forward angle or have enough roll angle to compensate for wind some times. If we were allowed to change the max pitch angle it would be awesome. Not only would the Naza-m be able to compensate for wind, but I could really get some good speed in the other modes for sport flying without having to be in full manual.

Last edited by a moderator:

DennyR

I really think that this is a well overdue thread that should be kept going at all costs. OK, DJI have made a very large number of fundamental errors particularly with code upgrades and product releases that were not properly tested. Quality control that is almost non-existent and a stone wall reply service. The worst aspect of all of this comes down to one thing. They assume that the less than reliable nature of MR craft will cause it to be destroyed before they are found to be liable for any service or warrantee work, so no facility has ever been set up outside of China. The very nature of it being Chinese means that it cannot be returned economically so they just side step the issue. So let us hope that the newly appointed European HQ in Germany will focus it's attention on after sales and not just new sales of gimmicky products that may or may not work to a standard that is somewhat better than the dismal results from the past. The legal aspect of dealing with the Chinese is difficult, but Dealers or foreign HQ's, They can be sued for any item that is not reasonably fit for purpose.

A dealer is someone who commits to buying a quantity of stock for the purpose of resale. He does not need to know anything about electronic engineering. So all he can do for you is try and persuade DJI to accept it back into China for a service repair. You will get the run around for sure. The lessons they learnt from the now famous flip of death cost them a lot of money, that avenue of service is now well and truly blocked off.

Serval

A lot of TRUTHS.

We can also thinking there are 2 kind of dealers.
- toy dealers, big problem could understand what professional need, what is a (shutter speed, aperture...) so perhaps not able to resolve problems. And have only to sell toys.
- multirotor dealers for professionnals, able to understand what are Professionnal A/V needs and, able to asume.
This is certainly, same cases for manufacturers : STAY IN TOY PRODUCTS or ASSUME.

Customers done to much efforts since monthly, certainly too much.
If stock product doesn't works: It must be taking under waranty or money must be refunds to customers. Customers do not have to spend more Money and more Time, to get multirotor works.

In all cases Toy or Professional Tool : products must be RELIABLE and SECURE.
Manufacturers and Dealers must assume it.

ChrisViperM

How many times have I been bitching and ranting about these clowns.....My S800 (and later together with a NEX-7 Zenmuse) was standing more in my workshop than actual flying, due to all the known issues:

faulty GPS
faulty ESC's
useless, highly over-priced props (at leat in my case)
Flexing arms
Zenmuse HDMI board
OSD Mark I
Zenmuse drifting horizont
Zenmuse needed serious re-balancing
Zenmuse start-up-chaos (any now and then, not re-producable, maybe female electronics....?)
WooKong IMU having problems with altitude, apperantely the new v2 isn't any better (but might still be too early)

DJI claimed (and still do) at their web-site that the S800/WooKong/Zenmuse is the professional solution for Aerial photo and film, although they have changed their web-page and "softened" their professional claim. I just would like to have a fraction of the money they got from customers who got fooled by their (great) advertising. I am a hobby guy and have (dumb-*** me) believed what they advertised.....nobody to blame than me.
BUT: They won't do that again....I will try if the IMU v2 is going to solve the hight-drop and might get the vib-dampening (first let's see if it works), than off it goes to ebay.....and no more new DJI-professional-blabla stuff.

I am not naiv to believe that there are any "perfect" products out there, but there is alternatives....and I will try them. I'd rather support up-coming, small companies with my money than this Crashes"R"Us wannabees.

Their whole attitude is like pilots having problems with their products are just not existing, they developed a whole new level of poor customer care and ignorance....it's actually amazing that people still give them any money.

The NAB-show had evidence where their future business will be: Toy copters like the Phantom (PHANTOM=Plastic-Helicopter-And-Now-Tested-On-Morons, credit goes to gadgetkeith, http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthread.php?11108-Phantom-newbie-pilot-OOPS!), presented by the new CEO America Colin Guinn and his drug-buddy Adam Schlender:

I could get on and on with my "rant", but I am getting tired....I wish them all the best, but for my part I just turn arround and forget them......

...or should I also buy the new v2 arms.....and the Zenuse v2, and.......:highly_amused:

Chris

Bowley

I recall a similar kind of scenario with XAircraft FC's so many gripes and problems and the solution? although XA would not accept that there was anything wrong with their gear, they were happy to announce when they released new stuff with the problems resolved, kindly offered at a discount to existing users. Upshot of that was hardly anyone bought their FC's. even the XA dealers were punting out RTF X650/WKM Combo's. XA also went through the same prop dilemma as well.
Personally I have never had any issues with my DJI stuff, but only use Naza/GPS, and each of my 3 units has performed flawlessly in every respect.

DennyR

Quote: The NAB-show had evidence where their future business will be: Toy copters like the Phantom (PHANTOM=Plastic-Helicopter-And-Now-Tested-On-Morons, credit goes to gadgetkeith, http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthread.php?11108-Phantom-newbie-pilot-OOPS!), presented by the new CEO America Colin Guinn and his drug-buddy Adam Schlender:

OK now I get it. I was wondering what that twitch was, and the stuffing of his thumb up his nose, (7.17) was all about. Old habits die hard as they say.

At least he wasn't trying to convince this guy that the claimed sub pixel stabilization had nothing to do with the lens angle of view. Only Colin Guinn was that stupid.

Serval

I recall a similar kind of scenario with XAircraft FC's so many gripes and problems and the solution? although XA would not accept that there was anything wrong with their gear, they were happy to announce when they released new stuff with the problems resolved, kindly offered at a discount to existing users. Upshot of that was hardly anyone bought their FC's. even the XA dealers were punting out RTF X650/WKM Combo's. XA also went through the same prop dilemma as well.
Personally I have never had any issues with my DJI stuff, but only use Naza/GPS, and each of my 3 units has performed flawlessly in every respect.

Sorry, but you could not compare a Xaircraft frame 199 € (Toy).
With frame S800 about 1900 € (Pro) or 8.000 € : it depends of invest !

Bowley

Sorry, but you could not compare a Xaircraft frame 199 € (Toy).
With frame S800 about 1900 € (Pro) or 8.000 € : it depends of invest !

Hi Serval, I wasn't talking about the airframe, although I consider the 'toy' one to be of better design and quality than my DJI frames. Never seen a S800, but you're right they are totally different classes,
certainly I've no issues with the XA frames at all.
I was describing a general reflection in response, in reply to a previous post.

saidquad

I have both XA and S800. As you mentioned XA frame is made for fun and hobby. I did also buy it for this purpose. I mounted 750kv T-Motor and 12*6 props on it and a simple gopro gimbal. Powered by 4s 6500mah maxamps pack and it is flying for more than one year three days a week and actually it makes very stable footages (but with gopro h2 quality). I am very much satisfied with it. But my almost $10000 worth S800 has been all ways waiting for upgrades and I have never been able to make a stable footage with it. What is the positive point of a professional device which cannot perform a professional task? I mean my $250 XA toy makes me happy because it does what it is made for and some times more than that. But My S800 has disappointed me because of faulty design. It is just a money vacuum cleaner. I hope DJI hears the voice of customers. I have nothing against DJI, but I deserve to receive what I pay for. I don’t like to be the victim of “try and error” manufacturing method. In fact I use WKM for my XA too and it works great for that bird with low weight. That was why I trusted DJI and ordered the complete package of S800 which happened to be wrong move.

ljonesii

ljonesii
I was glad to run across this thread. I am fairly new to MR, but have learned a tremendous amount in only a couple of months. A lot of it about DJI. After starting with an ARF Aerosky flamewheel clone and trying to make the multiwii (X-rock) board work, I knew I had to move up to something worth spending my time on. I did a lot of reading and decided to get a NAZA-M. Wow, how cool it was, hook it up, run through the software (it works!) and I'm off and flying---for awhile. On the 5th flight my MR flipped upside down and come down, only from about 6 feet on the grass. Back to the forums, quickly advised to pull the NAZA and whack it and go through the IMU cal again. Amazing it worked. It flew again fine. I was not, however content with this. I wrote DJI China and USA. Positive response from both, but talk to the dealer. I did talk to my dealer who immediately told me to return for replacement. They did not confirm that this was a common problem (as was indicated in the forums). I am waitng for the replacement, but acquired another unit in the meantime. It took some effort with calibration and compass setup but it is now flying very nicely. I also bought a Phantom and so far it is great. So my experience may have been better because of some of you guys efforts. Couldn't hurt. Thanks for that. I think we need to stay positive and give our feedback to DJI and I really want to believe that they will do the right thing. Otherwise we will stay on their butt. lol

Burntpixel

Been following the DJI phenomenon for several months now. I can say it is refreshing to hear from REAL end users concerning the DJI product line. I WAS very interested in the S800 and Zenmuse gimbal for a Panasonic GH2. After reading multiple boards I have come to the conclusion DJI cannot support its product line. I bet the dealers are upset as they are the ones whom have to deal with we the end user!

If DJI can field a booth @ NAB?????? How on earth they pulled that off kind of amazes me. NAB must be hurting to let a company the likes of DJI hawk its wares @ what was once the de-facto convention for we in the motion picture and television industry. What I am thankful for are boards like this. I still want to do professional caliber aerial camera work,but I am hard pressed to "Buy into" the DJI S800 platform.

How does one attempt to explain to their client that due to faulty equipment I cannot provide the services you hired me for?

fredor

I am flying a Quad and have yet to come across a wind that would seriously affect it I realise it would be possible but to my mind it would have to be a very strong wind

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
I was so hoping to never have to return to this thread but one thing I will say about DJI is, they are consistent! I wrote explaining that the new retracts are acting up, that they work on the ground but not in the air. They duly responded asking for a video, because perhaps the board is faulty. So I spent a day making the video. Out to the field - do the flight test - back to the computer - import footage - export footage - convert to Vimeo standard - upload to Vimeo - wait for the processing - and finally send the the link.

Their response was "... please make another video without the skid foams... " WTF?

I replied saying "No, I will not. I have other things to do than waste a whole day on another video. The skid foams weigh 26g and the mechanism is more than able to cope with that. Stop arguing about nothing and replace them.".

Silence since then.

I so look forward to the day when we no longer need the Zenmuse, and will therefore have no need to buy the rest of the unreliable, troublesome DJI crap, and they can squirm in their own sh1t wondering where all the business has gone.

FerdinandK

... but that would also be my guess ...

Did you try without the foam, it might not be heavy, but the aerodynamic drag is huge compared to the pipes without the foam (as they are in the downwash of the propellers).

best regards

Ferdinand