The Captain got me thinking.........

CopterCam

Took a call from one of the many local Golf Clubs asking about AP for their new website. To cut a long story short, this was a job I quoted for two years ago and between the Committees delay in deciding and the severe recession my revised price has now reduced by 40%.

I went there early this morning on a bit of a 'reccy' and lo and behold who did I meet but the Club Captain out for his round with the Pro. He asked about my method of image capture and suggested that it would be easier to shoot video and then select some 'framegrabs'. Given that the club only want to display these images on their website, what is the minimum resolution or file size for acceptable Media sites. Big RAW images are surely unnecessary for this use ?

Here is one from early this morning.......

p1070611.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
I've found 1024 x 768 to be about the biggest you want to make an image for website viewing, anything larger usually requires scrolling to see the entire image. The only way to really know for sure is to try a couple different sizes on the website and see which works the best, they all tend to be different depending on how its coded and often 1024 x 768 is too big for the format of the page.

Ken

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
I never shot raw before this year but now I always do. You just never know when that one shot could sell and if you only got a low res your stuffed!

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
I never shot raw before this year but now I always do. You just never know when that one shot could sell and if you only got a low res your stuffed!

Good point, doesn't hurt to shoot a set of images in RAW format and then reduce it down to whatever size the website wants in post processing, you never know when they might say they want a poster size print of a particular shot.

Ken

jes1111

As a pro (stills) photographer, the inevitable question I get when I turn up with (several) Canon EOS1Ds with chunky (white) lenses is "Wow! How many megapixels is THAT?" It's the only "number" that non-techies know, kinda like "What's the 0-60 time?" for a car. Fact is, they don't understand that not all pixels are born equal, and in this particular case, they won't understand that video capture is distinctly lo-res even if it's on a Canon 5DMkII (for example). If it was my client I'd politely compliment the captain's obvious technical prowess and capture hi-res stills anyway :)

Besides, on a windy day, video frames will have blurred leaves, etc. Then you lose a bunch of pixels when you straighten the horizon and correct the lens distortion. Yuck! Nasty!

Last edited by a moderator: