The birth of a new MikroKopter

Hey Ken I traded a PM with you over at RCGroups it's nice to see you are in here as well. Your input in the threads is really helpful to someone like me as I'm currently building my first octocopter (UAVX) and I have so much to learn. I've been shopping for camera mounts and since you've owned just about every one of them I can't wait to read your thoughts on the Averticalview mount. I'm just about to order one but I would like to get your thought first. Your hexa is looking real nice. Thanks.
Stan

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Very nice Ken. What cam mount is that?
If youre up in the air before me can you post some results of the Pulso's?
I have the same and I wanted to know the consumption of a heavy lifter.
I love Christmas..

Bill

I got a chance to do a couple timed flights today while the rain stopped for a bit, set the timer on the TX for 6 minutes and flew until it signaled 10 seconds remaining then landed and unplugged. First flight early this AM with 11 x 5 Graupner props, I put back 2600 mAh in each of the 2S 5000 packs.

The second time around just about a half hour ago I did the same flight using APC 11 x 4.5 props and the same two packs took 2775 mAh to recharge. According to the charger the packs were at 40% after the first flight and 37, borderline 38% after the second, so it appears that 8 minutes is possible but that would probably be the max flight time and might even put the batts into the greater than 80% discharge range.

Both the Graupner and APC props were straight out of the package, no balancing done to either set, the APC were not only noisier but also had more visible vibration in the video. Since there doesn't appear to really be any advantage to using the APC and they would require a lot of time on a prop balancer to get them right, I went back to the Graupner props.

The big test will come this weekend when I can get out to the flying field and give it a good workout in a wide open area. I ordered a pair of 4S 5000 mAh packs to see what I get for flight time using those in parallel, won't be here until probably this time next week at the earliest so I may have to wait until I'm back from a business trip on the the 27th before I have a chance to try them out.

Ken

Last edited by a moderator:

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
So Ken... you still like the Graupner props? I would have thought you would have gone bigger on those motors. I am using 11x5 on my ADX3 with the AXi 2217/20 motors. Now I can watch BL controller temp it will be interesting to see how they differ on my set up from the 10" ones. The Jeti system even tells you your current draw and your used amps.. sorry if that sounds like a brag but I am absolutely made up I went the the Graupner/Jeti TX/RX

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
So Ken... you still like the Graupner props? I would have thought you would have gone bigger on those motors. I am using 11x5 on my ADX3 with the AXi 2217/20 motors. Now I can watch BL controller temp it will be interesting to see how they differ on my set up from the 10" ones. The Jeti system even tells you your current draw and your used amps.. sorry if that sounds like a brag but I am absolutely made up I went the the Graupner/Jeti TX/RX

Yes, still think the Graupners are the best prop for a multi. Yeah, I could go bigger, BUT... they don't make Graupners in 12 inch reverse pitch and I'm not certain I could fit a 12 inch prop on the AD-6 without swapping the arms and that wouldn't be cheap. There's at least an inch of space between the ends of the 11 inch props as is but with a set of 12's on there it would be mighty close to the point of maybe having to trim the ends a little bit.

Seems fine the way it is and it certainly isn't working too hard turning the 11 x 5 on those big Pulso motors. If I see the need for more lift, well the motors can handle it, just a question of which props and what if anything has to be done to make them fit. I've spent so much $ on this thing now, whats another couple hundred for bigger props, longer carbon fiber booms, and more noodle wire to reach the BL's through the longer arms... :rolleyes:

Ken

zorba

Ken have a look at this picture. I want to know where to connect my satellite(spektrum).

Is it number 11 or number 13?
I am using the Flyboard.

Thanks
Bill

Attachments

• FCbottom.jpg
    FCbottom.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 408

Hey Ken I was hoping maybe you could help me out with something. I'm building an Octo on Rusty's frame. I'm thinking about purchasing Averticalview camera mount but it doesn't look like that mount will fit under my Octo with the Rusty's landing gear and it doesn't seem like Avertical sells gear to go with the mount. Is there some landing gear you could recommend that would give me the clearance that I need? Thanks a lot.
Stan

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
No. Is the 9503 with the 921 I wont use the 8000 on the MK
I will be using the divercity board

If you are going to use the diversity board you will need to move the power connection from the 3 volt to 5 volt pad, the diversity needs 5 volts to operate and it will provide the correct voltage out to the satellites.

Hey Ken I was hoping maybe you could help me out with something. I'm building an Octo on Rusty's frame. I'm thinking about purchasing Averticalview camera mount but it doesn't look like that mount will fit under my Octo with the Rusty's landing gear and it doesn't seem like Avertical sells gear to go with the mount. Is there some landing gear you could recommend that would give me the clearance that I need? Thanks a lot.
Stan

That's going to be a DIY landing gear project to fit Rusty's frame. I used the MK XL landing legs on the new Hexa which are made to fit on 10MM square tube. You could use the same if you wanted to fabricate the brackets to clamp them to whatever Rusty's frame uses for arms, though if you're using round tubing they probably wouldn't work all that well unless you could clamp it down hard enough to keep them from rotating. One thing I've seen that might work for you is to get some thin aluminum strips of 1/2 to 3/4 inch wide and bend them into a shape similar to the landing gear supports used on RC helis with the necessary height and then put a couple straight rods across the bottom ends to be the landing struts.

Whatever you come up with, you'll need a minimum of 7 inches from the lower center plate to the ground to fit the mount, and possibly a minimum of 8 depending on how you mount the support arm to the frame.

Ken

Ken thank you very much for your reply. Any idea where I could buy some G10 material? If I have to make something I might consider that as well. Either that or go with the ProMini mount and gear instead.:confused: