Temporarily grounded

Rocky

So I was flying around, mainly just getting the feel of the new weight (camera and 5000mah battery) when it made a loud noise. I dropped throttle and landed hard. Apparently one of my props was cracked and it parted ways with the rest of the craft. It was only about 5-6 ft off the deck and landed in the dirt so no damage was done. I decided to try out a different pitch and size carbon prop as a replacement.

Got them installed and was checking it out when one of the props came off. The prop adapters were a real pain to get on the motor shafts so there must be something other than just not tightening them down enough, Anyway, this time it fell from about 30ft and broke one of the motor mounts. I'll buy some circuit board material and make a new one. I also have to get new prop adapters since the nut is nowhere to be found. At least I heard the prop hit the roof of my house and slide down onto the driveway, I got that back.

IMG_3455_zpszwdlylvs.jpg

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
The collet style prop adapters are usually not well balanced, this is why we mostly use the flush mounted or short shaft adapters.

Rocky

I haven't ordered anything yet, I'll do a search for "short shaft prop adapter" or "flush mount prop adapter". I never was a fan of the collet style ones.

Rocky

I don't think I can use that kind, my motors don't have threaded holes on the top of the can (rotor?). I think my only non-collet option is a set screw type.

shawdreamer

might sound a total noob approach (tbf I am one afterall) but I found collet versions to be a right pain in the s-shoot but at the sametime the grub screw versions aernt exactly brilliant either, both can work loose quite easily (even using thread locker on the grub screw version).

I found that roughing up the shaft surface with a bit of high grit sandpaper helped on both versions but didnt ultimately solve the issue.

my motors are the same as yours (No top screw holes for adapters) so the only other option I had was good old prop savers.............. havnt looked back since, they've yet to let me down infact.

I dont use the O-rings through (that are supposed to be rated for them), they deteriorate to fast, instead I use natural latex rings I cut from the end of a length of surgical tube, they rarely ever snap and you can put two on each prop anyway which acts as a good fail safe if one does twang off.