TBS Discovery alternative arm setup

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Finally getting to the meat of a project I've been thinking about for a while, a way to use something besides DJI arms on a TBS Discovery. The other day I did a block setup for 17mm carbon fiber tubes which I'll eventually get setup on a frame and test fly. Before doing that I decided to go a little smaller and give the designs a try on a smaller scale mainly because it will be easier to just swap the arm out from under what's already built and flying rather than what amounts to an almost total rebuild to use the larger tube and motor/ESC setup.

Here's the original prototype block on the right and what will likely be the final version for the smaller tubes on the left...

This block is setup to take a 13mm tube and use a scaled down version of the lowered motor mount I did for the bigger motor. This keeps the mass of the motor more inline with the center of the tube rather than up above, helping to keep the center of gravity lower which should allow for smoother handling in the air.

I've got the full set of the final design blocks on the printer now, tomorrow I'll cut a set of aluminum tubes on the lathe then drill and tap them for the locating bolts. Going to go just a bit longer than the DJI arm intially so it will be a fair comparison to the stock setup, should be interesting to see the difference in flight characteristics and if the reduction in drag from the DJI girder arm to the small section tubing yeilds any gain in efficiency. If it does I expect it to be small, I think the way it flys will be affected more.

The nice thing about this design is it's easy to change it and scale up/down for different sizes of tubing, a matter of a few minutes in the CAD program to make the change then print. Initially I'll be using aluminum tubing in 13mm mainly because I have it on hand, I'll be ordering a couple different sizes of C/F tube this week for this and a couple other projects.

If anyone has or has access to a 3D printer, I'll let you have the STL files if you want to give it try for yourself. The blocks are setup to be held in place using 3mm bolts and captive nuts inserted into the sides of the block, the tube is held in place and straight by a through bolt in the block with captive nut at the bottom, and the motor mount by a 3mm bolt going up from the bottom into a corresponding hole in the arm.

Ken

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
The 4 arm blocks are ready to go. I just made a few changes to the motor mount to allow the wires to run out underneath and down the arm tube so I can do a swap with minimal changes to existing Discovery that will be the testbed...

The drilling fixture for the arms is being made right now, once that's done I'll do a set of motor mounts. While the mounts are in progress I can go out to the garage and make up a set of arm tubes with the new fixture, at that point I should have all the parts I need except maybe for nuts and bolts, running low on those. Might have to place an order with RTL Fasteners before I can actually build this unless I can scrounge up enough of the correct length 3mm bolts in the used bolt bucket. I settled on a 7 inch arm tube as a good compromise between the amount of tubing I have on hand and making the arm just a smidge longer than the DJI arm.

If all goes well the first test flights will be in a day or two, if I need to order hardware it will be more towards this time next weekend.

Ken

Last edited by a moderator:

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Motor mounts in progress...

Cutting the arm tubes...

Add a little bevel to the edge to get rid of any sharp edges...

Now over to the mill to drill the locating holes...

After one end is done, pin it in place and drill the other end...

Four mounting blocks and arms cut and drilled...

Tap the hole for the retaining screw on the motor mount end...

Arm bolted in place on both ends...

Side by side comparison mounted to a set of frame plates...

Off to a family get together, more later...

Ken

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
A standard DJI arm...

The tube arm...

Inside the frame...

The difference in where the motor sits, might wind up having to make some adjustment here...

Tomorrow I'll start swapping over the Discovery with the Multiwii flight controller.

Ken

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Looks great Ken! Are they heavier than the dji arms?

I just checked the weight with my digital scale and the aluminum tube arm with motor mount and inner mounting block is 10 grams lighter than a stock DJI arm. I've got some carbon fiber tube around here, tomorrow I'll try and find a similar length piece and check the weight with that.

Ken

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Almost there...

I would have test flown it already except I overlooked one small detail. I thought the ESCs had enough slack wire to not worry about the extra 1 inch arm length, wrong! After I removed the DJI arm and bolted the tube arm in place it was quickly evident that the wires between the motor and ESC were just a few MM too short, oops...

So it's all together and ready for a test flight as soon as I cut the heatshrink off the ESCs, solder on longer wires, and then reinstall them on the frame. While I'm at it I'll reflash them to the latest version of SimonK firmware since what's already on there is old and there have been a few updates since I first flashed them.

Maiden flight tomorrow, if I can get the electronics work done this evening.

Ken

Last edited by a moderator:

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
The tube arm Discovery finally flew for the first time at lunch today. It would have happened sooner but I had a bit of a problem with ESCs when I used a bolt that was slightly too long to secure one of the motors, shorting a winding and resulting in an ESC FET letting out the magic smoke on first power up. Unfortunately I didn't have a spare of that particular ESC so that triggered a parts bin scavenge hunt to find a matching set of 4 that I could swap to, eventually dug up an older set of 30 amp with SimonK on them and got it all wired up last night.

It flys MUCH better than the stock version, and this is on a Multiwii controller with no changes at all to the PID settings. As I expected it's more nimble with the lower CG and the transitions from flat FF to turns is a lot smoother as well. Seems to be faster in a straight line but I really don't have room here at the house to let it go and see what it can do. As soon as I can get a couple batteries charged up and get over to a field of some sort where I can fly it FPV I'll get some video. I did have the GoPro recording on the test flight but managed to put a big smeared thumbprint on the lens before take off so it isn't much of a video.

Ken

chyoung

Congratulations Ken, that fantastic! So lowering the CG was the main goal or just an added benefit of being able to design your own arms?

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Congratulations Ken, that fantastic! So lowering the CG was the main goal or just an added benefit of being able to design your own arms?

The lower CG wasn't the main goal when I started the project although it was something that I certainly intended to do if possible as part of it. The main goal was to replace the DJI arms with something that could be easily and quickly repaired in the field using parts that I could obtain locally for not a lot of $ as well as to be able to customize things like arm length and tubing diameter. I'm now on what I hope to be the final revisions to the 13mm/1/2 inch tube size, the latest set of parts installed yesterday but I haven't had a chance to get out to a field and fly due to the rain that has been falling all day today. I should have sped things up a bit yesterday and got out in the afternoon while there was a break in the weather but foolishly I believed the weather forecast that said it would be dry this afternoon, wrong...

So far I've hit all the goals, I can swap the motor mount by just removing one screw holding it to the arm and unplugging the motor wires. The aluminum arm tube can be swapped at that point by removing the single through bolt that holds it into the mounting block. I could easily have another arm with motor mount and motor installed and ready to go in the tool box should I need it, hopefully I won't. It's quicker than swapping a DJI arm and somewhat stronger though I won't know how much stronger until that first oops!

It's sitting over on the bench with some charged batteries just waiting for an opportunity to fly, at this point it's beginning to look like that won't happen today since we just had a fairly heavy downpour pass through. I found I was able to crank up the P gain on the Multiwii controller as well as go up to the next largest prop I have available and it flys like its on rails from the limited test flights I've been able to do. Some actual FPV flying and video as soon as conditions permit.

Ken

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
nice job Ken!

tubes are the way to go, lowest weight for the most torsional rigidity plus the most aerodynamic (short of more complicated streamlined tubing fairings that adjust to the oncoming propwash) to reduce buffeting and vibration from the propwash over them. trusses, square tubing, flat plate...they all bow before the mighty tube!

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
Are you looking to mass produce these Ken? if your looking for an outlet, maybe we can work out something? If not I may be interested in stocking some for resale if they are working out ok.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Are you looking to mass produce these Ken? if your looking for an outlet, maybe we can work out something? If not I may be interested in stocking some for resale if they are working out ok.

I'm not looking to mass produce them, that would require investment in a couple more printers of a more industrial grade than what I currently have or farming it out to a production facility at which point it would wind up cloned by the Chinese and for sale at a fraction of the cost ;)

I might do some limited runs of parts if they prove to be fairly durable, won't know that until I get some flight time on this one. I have an high temp hotend on order for the printer to allow for extruding nylon which is by far a lot stronger than the ABS. I know parts made from that would be plenty strong, but it's going to be a week or two before I have the printer parts and a roll of nylon filament to work with.

I'm going to upgrade the other Discovery that has a Naza on it, if that goes well I may be looking for a volunteer or two to try a set out for themselves, I'll let you know when I get closer to that point.

Ken

SamaraMedia

Ken, looks real nice! I've got a Disco Pro I haven't started yet so if you nee a guinea pig give me a shout. Hopefully weather will be better next weekend so we can hook up at your field.

John

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Ken, looks real nice! I've got a Disco Pro I haven't started yet so if you nee a guinea pig give me a shout. Hopefully weather will be better next weekend so we can hook up at your field.

John

If the weather cooperates and you do make it to the field I might just have an extra set of parts hanging around by then. :)

Ken

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
Ken, I would jump all over that to test them out for you. If you do want to make a few, I would like to try to sell some of them.... let me know either way.

Hey Ken.
I would like to buy a set from you if at all possible. I fly a dji f450 with sunnysky 2216 900kv motors. I just ordered the tbs disco pro frame and will hand in a few days. Please let me know if that's possible I would greatly appreciate it. I would like to also try them in my dji f450 to see how it reacts and would light to use cf tubing. Please pm me if you could do this. Thank you so much. It looks awesome keep up the good work. Zachary