TBS Disco - Landing Gear & Brushless Gimbal Mounting Options?

SMP

Hello All TBS Disco guys,

Wondered if you wouldn't mind sharing your Disco Landing Gear/and or Landing Gear/Gimbal combos here? Now that the brushless gimbals are starting to show I'm guessing more and more of us are going to want to add these to our Discos as well. Hoping we can consolidate ideas here :)

Thanks all and appreciate your help!!

tstrike

pendejo grande

Attachments

• disco3.jpg
    disco3.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 512
  • disco front.jpg
    disco front.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 576
  • nomojello.jpg
    nomojello.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 302

Hi SMP, the disco is a small FPV quad, with telemetry mine already weighs 1.7kg I do not think it could handle carrying another 300 to 400 grams of gimbal + landing gear.
regards - bruce

kloner

Aerial DP
they will and do with 2814 motors........ think theres suppose to be a pro kit soon, might wait just a tad longer.

Fiveflat

Banned
they will and do with 2814 motors........ think theres suppose to be a pro kit soon, might wait just a tad longer.

Do you run 10" props with those motors, or 11"? If you run 11" do you run the extensions as well? I don't have the disco but I do have the F450 with a 2-axis gimbal and gopro, I'm right at 1400g and with my 2250mah 3s battery I get about 4-5minutes in the air.
(I can post a photo but I don't have a tbs, or brushless gimbal so it wouldn't be "on topic" )

kloner

Aerial DP
i run 1000kv on 4s and use 8" props............ flies 60mph at right around 1700grams and lasts 5 minutes, draws 60 amps

if i was gonna run strictly a slow fly gimbal setup, i'd do 770kv avroto-tiger kinda motors with 11" and extensions on 4s

meme from here uses 2216-900 tigers and flies a cx760 up top of a disco

Last edited by a moderator:

kloner

Aerial DP
it actualy flies fast too,,,,,, i couldn't drop a nut low enough to get onboard with it either

Fiveflat

Banned
Well, ef-it I don't know how fast it flies. Slow and smooth is my goal. It's AUW is 1400g as you see it here.

Terrible iphone photo:
2013-03-20+14%3A42%3A11+%2B0000

kloner

Aerial DP
that's alot of stuff for them motors. those make 120 watts, mine are 350 watts, each. tiger replacements 2216-900 are 250watt

it's not so much about speed as much as staying in the sky

SMP

Saw a post on here from a chap that had used skids from an Align 600 - Not really planning on gear for the Disco but will be trying to jam a brushless on the front so a wee bit of clearance would be nice

SMP

Do you run 10" props with those motors, or 11"? If you run 11" do you run the extensions as well? I don't have the disco but I do have the F450 with a 2-axis gimbal and gopro, I'm right at 1400g and with my 2250mah 3s battery I get about 4-5minutes in the air.
(I can post a photo but I don't have a tbs, or brushless gimbal so it wouldn't be "on topic" )

Started a 450/550 thread over here ;)
http://www.multirotorforums.com/sho...r-Landing-Gear-and-Landing-Gear-Gimbal-setups

ChrisViperM

Hello All TBS Disco guys,

Wondered if you wouldn't mind sharing your Disco Landing Gear/and or Landing Gear/Gimbal combos here? Now that the brushless gimbals are starting to show I'm guessing more and more of us are going to want to add these to our Discos as well. Hoping we can consolidate ideas here :)

Thanks all and appreciate your help!!

I am just busy to nail my Disco together and had the same thing going through my mind....but then I started to think about the whole concept of the Disco. It's basically a DJI F450 with a streched body where the front arms are mounted in a backward position to get the props out of the cameras view. The purpose for the Disco is to be a fast FPV machine with the ability to record your flights with a mounted GoPro, but the real strenght of the Disco is the FPV factor. So if your aim is to have a rig for super-smooth footage - where you would need to mount a brushless gimbal - than the Disco is the wrong bird for you. I mainly build the Disco to go to some interesting place, have a couple of charged LiPo's with me, slam the Fatsharks on my face and just have fun chasing the Disco arround and get "immersed"....
If I am behind super smooth footage, I use one of my other birds which are laid out for that purpose....but these I would not use for FPV fun.
Everyone can hang whatever he likes onto his rig...even easter eggs if that is his kind of thing, but if it really makes sense is another story.

....just my 2 cent

Chris

SMP

Hey Chris, I think you nailed it on the head in all actuality it may make no sense whatsoever except that it might ;) ;) As you said "So if your aim is to have a rig for super-smooth footage - where you would need to mount a brushless gimbal - than the Disco is the wrong bird for you." Quite right, the goal really is not super smooth footage but mainly to grab short bursts of super cool footage and make it just slightly smoother and with a better FOV than the gopro FPV which in fast forward flight seems to be 90% ground ;)

I mainly build the Disco to go to some interesting place, have a couple of charged LiPo's with me, slam the Fatsharks on my face and just have fun chasing the Disco around and get "immersed".... Me too (well, it's a kloner) but point is yeah, its a throw n go. We're doing the same thing. Thing is...

"If I am behind super smooth footage, I use one of my other birds which are laid out for that purpose....but these I would not use for FPV fun". You nailed it. If we need production stuff we fly the AD6 (soon to be X8) and now the Skyjib. But nobody wants to use their " money bird" for in the weeds, fly-throughs and wicked stupid POV. Wouldn't make sense. Thing is... we're getting little bits of cool stuff (b-roll) going places with our 550 we'd never shove our money birds in. With the new Brushless we're hoping we can toss one onto the 550, fly a little Sony and and start using it as an actual B Roll platform that we can afford to risk. Again not commercial stuff, just 3 second whacks but viable nonetheless. Even now however there's a limit about how close/hard I can put the 550 on a shot. ...Enter the Disco.

IF the gimbal is light enough (and saw the Alex proto with the perf ribs so I'm hopeful) again IF it's light enough and the only cost is a minute or two of flight time. That's a rig I'd be VERY happy to fly VERY close for some GoPro3 super action clips.

So that's basically the thought process. Skyjib/AD6 A Cam - 550 B Cam and Disco POV Cam.

SMP

Wondering if anybody has had any luck yet? Still no word on the Ecopter TBS Version....

older thread here just wanted to post my 'frankenstein-ing' from this weekend, its not pretty but yielding good results so far:

tbs disco, dji motors/ESCs w/ 10" graupners. quanternium blg and is made for the hero3. my block of pine and bolts here are 26g plus the weight of the blg/hero3 put this just under 4lbs. first few test flights I'm getting damn good footage with the smallest amount of jello. have my cog pretty close though it is a little nose heavy. handles pretty well, and after about 6min motors/ESCs are warm but not blazing. prolly going to redo mount this weekend and recess the blg a little bit, just want to be able to go full wide without props in shot. so far so good!

Attachments

• photo 1 (1).jpg
    photo 1 (1).jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 212
  • photo 2 (1).jpg
    photo 2 (1).jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 277

Just in case anybody missed it, TBS are starting to take pre orders for the Disco Pro from Monday 1st July. Comes complete with brushless gimbal + gopro video switch.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
older thread here just wanted to post my 'frankenstein-ing' from this weekend, its not pretty but yielding good results so far:

tbs disco, dji motors/ESCs w/ 10" graupners. quanternium blg and is made for the hero3. my block of pine and bolts here are 26g plus the weight of the blg/hero3 put this just under 4lbs. first few test flights I'm getting damn good footage with the smallest amount of jello. have my cog pretty close though it is a little nose heavy. handles pretty well, and after about 6min motors/ESCs are warm but not blazing. prolly going to redo mount this weekend and recess the blg a little bit, just want to be able to go full wide without props in shot. so far so good!

How's it fly with the extra weight? I have a brushless GoPro gimbal, or more correctly a pile of spare/leftover parts that can be made into a working one, and I'm undecided what to put it on. I have an extra set of Discovery frame plates that I could build up and modify to fit the gimbal to, or the alternative is to mount it to the front of the QAV500 I have. I also have a spare set of upper frame plates for the QAV so I could mod the currently installed upper deck to take the gimbal and still be able to put it back to original if I wanted to.

The goal is to have a dedicated FPV quad with brushless gimbal, I already have a pair of hex with RCTimer GoPro gimbals hanging under them for APV use so this one is just for fun and hopefully capturing a slightly better quality video while flying FPV. Not interested in spending hundreds of $$$ for a new kit either TBS or QAV though both are offering the option now, I can go out in the garage and make whatever parts I need and modify whats already there as needed.

Ken