Tarot 680pro & Naza M v2: will it work?

jomk63

Noticed that there are a few T680pro machines with Naza v2 fc. I then saw the commentary below on a website - and wondered where the assertion that the Naza v2 couldn't cope with anything over 650 had come from? Couldnt find anything on the DJI website [although it wasnot a detailed search ].

Any thoughts or comments - and would you really need to go to the Wookong to fly the T680 with gimbal and GoPro3???

Thanks

DJI NAZA M V2 GPS or DJI Wookong WKM? Why would I need the DJI Wookong WKM over the NAZA M V2 GPS?The DJI NAZA M V2 and DJI NAZA M V2 GPS are both class leading in the hobby world, and at this time there is no other flight controller that offers the same level of flight performance, ease of setup and the features for the same price point. However theDJI Wookong M WKM is a professional tool to get a task done and is built to do a job, it’s able to hold its position with more accuracy and carry out autonomous flights with telemetry information sent to a laptop computer in the field, and where the law will allow for flights beyond visual line of sight, the Wookong M makes these flights possible. The Wookong M also has support for larger diameter QuadCopter, HexaCopter, X8 and Octocopter’s over 650mm in diameter, the DJI NAZA M Lite or the NAZA M V2 GPS do no support these larger frames which are over 650 mm across, which for many aerial photographers lifting up bigger pay loads like DSLR cameras with an OctoCopter or a X8 it’s a necessity to use the Wookong M, with these limits in mind, which are beyond both the NAZA M Lite and NAZA M V2 GPS it would be time to progress to the Wookong M. They are both fantastic, however the DJI Wookong M does it all, and that much better, in other words would you use a hammer to tighten a screw? It all comes down to selecting the correct tool for the job.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Did you ask the original poster why he felt that way? That seems curious to specifically pick out a number like 650. I've never seen that before - but I haven't really been looking.

EDIT: I just found this thread. Pretty interesting and people are definitely utilizing the Naza on far bigger MRs than a 680. Not saying it's the final word - but their experiences seem to lean toward it's capable, as long as the weight is within reason?

Last edited by a moderator:

coreyperez

Good to know. I to am looking at running a Naza (Or XAircraft) on a 960 in the future.

Thanks for running this down!

Corey

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
Earlier firmware was not happy on the bigger MR's but I think from the 3.12 or thereabouts it has been better.

Pete

naza m v2 on tarot 680pro

I have a tarot810 with wookong working really well and a 680pro with naza m v2. The 680 pro flies well enough although still at the proving stage. BUT on take off in GPS mode the machine doe a crazy left-right swoop before settling into level flight and holding station. My retailer tells me that the naza m is not designed for airframe over 650mm (but felt he said it like a get out of jail phrase). I've googled around and found the horror fly away stories etc and some of auto take off (??)
Anyone else having a similar problem on tarot 680pro and naza m v2?

johnthorn

I have a 680 that flies really well with naza v1 GPS, I have sometimes in the past had problems on takeoff when it lurched backwards briefly before settling down to level flight. When this happened I always recalibrated the compass and the problem goes. Is your naza mounted in the center of gravity as it needs to be, unlike the WKM. Hope this helps

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I had just re-calibrated after installing the firmware again plus the compass dance etc. Reassuring to know yours works as it should, did you upgrade your V1? I'll keep sqirrelling around. If the rain holds off I intend to video one of these knee trembled take offs and cast my net across the forums. Oh and yes the flight controller is central to cof g. Any problems with your tarot? Use it for video?

johnthorn

Hi yes I have upgraded to latest firmware it did do a funny first time after upgrade but after recalibration and flying back and forwards a few times all seems OK. My 680 is now a different beast to my signature I can't seem to edit it!! It's now got H King brushless gimbal and a Sony Nex5n on it I also put Tarot 13x5.5 high spec props on it had to lengthen the legs an inch or so to get the gimbal off the ground. Really pleased with the results now god stable platform. Hope you get yours sorted
PS what rain there is none here in Majorca at the moment. I'm on hols:tennis:
John

Hi, thanks for your reply, glad to hear the naza m v2 is handlng your airframe well (contrary to my retailers comments). I've had more flights and this was the fist since recalibration etc

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/sj-1GktkzmI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe> (does embedding not work here?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj-1GktkzmI

Annoyingly the next take off was almost perfect, the one after that just a little jiggle but ok Grrr I'd much rather the fault was consistent. Ongoing . . .

johnthorn

Blimey that looks not good, two points is for CG in the middle as if it is nose or tail heavy that can cause this effect till the naza gets itself sorted. Also what gains are you running let me know and when I get back next Sunday I will let you know mine. After the funny takeoff does the rest of the flight go normally. One last point if you try a more gentle takeoff does it still do a funny? I tend to lift off a bit more gently then pause at about 6feet before continuing the flight
Hope this helps John

simondorr

simondorr
Hi, came across your thread maybe you could help. Had four really difficult flights yesterday resulting in a minor crash and damage to one of the skids. All gains were at 100%, I had planned to gradually increase them rather than go too high and have to reduce them. This did not work as the Hex kept on getting into a state of oscillation resulting in a rapid return to earth, luckily as they were the first flights I kept the altitude to no more than 10 feet.

Changed the gains to those recommended by dji for the F550 (as it was the closest), running initially on a 3S battery and took the air again today. I had a successful 6 min flight with a 3S 2200mah with a really gentle and controlled landing and only a minute hint of oscillation which I was planning to slowly eliminate by adjusting the gains. Decided to run on a 4S and initially everything was the same, very smooth and again only a slight hint of oscillation then she started oscillating which got worse ending in a roll of death and just dropped out of the sky. Just before I could hear an alarm from the Hex, not sure what this was. I did have a low battery alarm fitted but I checked the battery afterwards and it still had 78%. The link for the video is below, the stats are as follows:
Tarot Iron Man 680 Frame
Naza-M V2 4.02 firmware
T-Motor 35 Amp SimonK 600MHz ESCs
13 x 4 CF Props
AX-2810Q 750KV Motors from Hobbyking
Zippy 4S 2200mah 40C Battery
Basic Gain: Pitch 170, Roll 170, Yaw 150, Vertical 140
Attitude Gain: Pitch 170, Roll 170
Amazingly not a huge amount of damage done. Video link: http://youtu.be/AG4LEwpgcns

As usual any help would be greatly appreciated.

coreyperez

Simon, I'm curious, how is your NAZA mounted? Did you use the sticky tape (included) or Velcro, is anything rubbing against the NAZA case? Is the craft balanced?

I have had mine for about 6 months, but still have not flown it yet. Crazy, I know. I've got a fleet of multirotor and airplanes!

Corey

simondorr

simondorr
I've mounted it to the centre plate but due to the lack of clearance for the motor leads at the front and RX leads at the rear which were snagging on the top plate I removed the little orange spacers to lower the plate and just used small dome head screws with M3 lock nuts to secure it. It's secured to the plate using the M3 double sided tape as supplied. Only things touching the NAZA case are the motor leads and some of the power leads from the ESCs touch the top of the casing and the MC is slightly off alignment but only by a degree or so. Experience tells me that none of this should matter as I have the same issues with my V1 (with V2 upgrade) on my F450 quad and it is absolutely rock solid. Having spent much of the evening trawling on here it is obvious to me that I am far from being alone with the T680/Naza-M V2 combo. The craft is very well balanced not least because I have not yet mounted the gimbal, camera, transmitter for videolink or iOSD mini so the equipment she is carrying is minimal and simple to balance. I just wonder if the clips holding the booms in their flight position are solid enough?

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
The first thing that popped out at me was the fact that you're flying with a 3S battery. That seems like it could easily be under powering the craft. Have you tried the same setup with 4S? It will most likely want smaller props (check motor specs), but that may be one issue.

you mention the clips. Check to make sure all bolts are tight. Mine had a tendency to back out - even with a little loctite on there. Also check the motor mounts are level. They spin under load. Again, even with loctite on all screws. There is a trick to put scotch tape on the boom anywhere it might be clamped. I guess it's an old heli trick. Seems to provide better grip.

simondorr

simondorr
Hi Guys thanks for your replies much appreciated.

The first flight today was on a 3S, flew for 6 mins without a problem. Thought with less power that it would be easier to set up but obviously less endurance/flight time. When all ok I switched to the 4S, the video shows the 4S flight.

From what I know the 13" props should be ok with a 750Kv motor. I run the dji F450 with stock motors 920Kv with 8" and 10" props on a 3S and a 4S with no problems, in fact she is rock steady. I also run a Cinestar8 on T-Motor 400Kv motors with 15" props on 6S batteries and she handles like a dream.

All bolts are tight, I spent a whole afternoon putting threadlock on all bolts and screws to ensure the airframe's integrity and airworthiness from that perspective. The clips are a compromise as I would prefer the booms to be secured by bolts but the kit comes in that form and the clips are brand new. They take considerable force by me to move them in to the fly or folded position and they have not folded in flight as the video demonstrates. I put a lot of thought into the size of airframe, motor, prop and battery combo but don't see that as the problem.

The only other mild concern I have at this point is that the motors only have 2 x M3 screws securing them as the holes in the Tarot motor mount plates only line up with 2 of the holes but they are tight, secured with threadlock and any attempt to move them does not suggest and play. The clamps on the boom ends are tight to the point of having to exert a high degree of force to get them to move so I don't think that is the problem. The flying has been relatively gentle with only a basic hover for the first couple of flights. This particular flight had the most aggressive moves so far and I am sure most would agree that they were quite mild for a frame combo of that sort.

I've pinned my hopes on finding out that it is either in the gain settings or the Naza is faulty. Having spent the whole evening trawling this site there are others who are having problems with the T680/Naza-M V2 combo so maybe it is the airframe. Maybe I should have just bitten the bullet and paid the extra for an existing kit complete with motors, ESCs and props or bought it ready built. But I have invested in it so I need to get it to work and I have a month before my annual flight test and renewal of permissions so the pressure is on! :)

coreyperez

Just to go on with what Scott (motopreserve) said, my F550 flew perfect with the stock DJI stuff and 3S batteries, once I moved everything to a disco pro it was seriously underpowered, I "upgraded" to the TBS Bulletproof motors and their motors and it would barely fly, I even had it fall our of the sky a couple times, I corrected the PIDs/Rates and threw in a 4S and have never had a problem since. I was going to go with a XAircraft but love my NAZA experiences. You have me eager to finish mine, but i doubt I'll have time for the next month or so. Keep us updated! FYI, I noticed significant yaw issues with the quad /smaller frame compared to the 550 hex. It looks like yours became disrupted when slowing, I couldn't tell if you were yawing at the same time, and SimonK ESCs have a known problem with rapid inputs, thus falling out of the sky

Did you calibrate your ESCs? I got mine all together and realized I forgot, so now I have to remove everything get to the FC...

Corey

simondorr

simondorr
Hi Corey,

I wasn't yawing and I thought the SimonK flashed ESCs were the Bees Knees, certainly all the blurb on the internet suggests that they are fast. 600khz which is an improvement on the 400khz ones I use on the Cinestar. I didn't calibrate the ESCs as the instructions that came with them don't tell you to, in fact these particular ones are not programmable. I'll try again this week and I'll let you know how I get on, certainly if I find a cure.