Taranis Plus + Iris + = ????

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Hopefully it's not some type of proprietary data stream. This might be a question fkr the github crowd that writes the opentx code.

sledge57

You'll love it. It has some great features. Did you get any of the telemetry modules?

I agree, I love mine. Time to sell the Futaba T8FG Super.

If it's for the Iris+ it already has telemetry with the Pixhawk, getting it to the Taranis, theres the issue.

I did buy a Mavlink to Frysky module to send telemetry to Taranis but it needs a receiver with Smarport which the Iris+ receiver doesn't have.

I bought an X8R because I didn't realize the X4R was capable of doing 16 channels, so until I buy another receiver telemetry will have to wait.

Start here to figure Taranis / Pixhawk out:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYsWjANuAm4r4idFZY24pP6s1K6ABMU0p

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYsWjANuAm4rtLZuLU2eSTc3svqWx-pa1

fltundra

EDIT<<<>>> After doing a little digging I'm not sure I want to go with his setup, his FW seems to be Open TX and on the Open Tx site it says Frsky has their own FW loaded on Taranis and isn't part of Open Tx.
I loaded opentx the day i received my taranis 17 months ago and have flown over 130 hrs without issue even keeping up with the updates.:)

cootertwo

Painless360 has some really good video's. I've watched hours and hours of them. My biggest problem, is being OLD! Turned 66 the other day, and my poor old mind ain't what it used to be. I bought 4, D4rll receivers, (CPPM), figured I could use my Iris+ transmitter for some of my other quads, but I find the setup very confusing. And I also use a Spektrum DX8 for most all of my other quads/hex's (APM, Naza, and Naze), and usually have to plug them in to the puter, to try to remember where I have the modes set. Too many dead brain cells! Ha! I'm hoping the Taranis will be able to be my main transmitter, although after having been married and divorced 3 times, I might have to find something other than a fleamale voice!;)

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
If you've got the APM telemetry, I suppose you dont need the Frysky. But if you have any craft that don't have the telemetry, they are super cheap and easy to install/setup for info on the radio. Nice to be able to track both voltage and consumption at the same time.

I'm still using my older Taranis - but have a new one that I've yet to mess with.

cootertwo

I like it so far. Bound a D4RII to it last night, and played around with some settings. Geeze, there are about as many variables on it, as in our APM/Pixhawk controllers! Sticks are super smooth.

cootertwo

I was only using the radio buttons. But, I just got done watching a few more of Painless360's videos, and it does look easier to use the computer and the open TX companion, which I have installed. Like most of this stuff, a lot to learn. Also ordered some of the FrSky voltage sensors from HK. Fixing to go try my APM F330 that I've been experimenting with. GPS mode was going nuts, and I found in Mission Planner, that my compass was 180 degrees off, so I corrected that. I will get back to the Taranis later, as right now, I have secere brain overload!:confused:

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
It can be a bit much to deal with all at once. Get it working solid and then you can take advantage of all the features. The computer takes it to a whole new level.