Taranis or Aurora 9X?

TR1PL3D

Hello,

I am in the process of building a Tarot FY680.

The FC that I am using is the DJI NAZA M V2.

Currently I am deciding which Tx to purchase.

I like the look of the Taranis with its various features, but the build quality is in question from what I have been reading. It also seems to be a pain to program, but having an IT background I think I could figure it out.

Ive also been looking at the Aurora 9X. Build quality looks good, but read of issues with the radio not powering on sometimes. Its also easier to program, and finally more expensive.

Cost is not really an issue, well within reason anyway.

So what are your thoughts, what are your experiences?

Taranis or 9X? Or maybe you could recommend a different solution?

B.Welwood

I had a Futaba 8FG. On a whim, I bought a Taranis. Within a week the Futaba went up for sale.
Haven't regretted selling the Futaba. Get the Taranis.

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
Given that you want to fly MR's the choice is Futaba T8FG Super or 14SG or FrSky Taranis.

The Taranis can take a module and has very powerful features.

The quality of my Taranis appears to me to be perfectly fine, especially considering the price, some of the bits in the earlier builds were not quite so good apparently, they appear to have improved the components that were not so good.

Just grab a Taranis the new builds are fine.

Pete

SoCal Blur

Even if you were to grab a used, older build, you can replace the parts that were improved for very little money.

TR1PL3D

Thanks for the replies :)

So you guys think Taranis.

I like the Futaba Tx's, but they lack sliders for gimbal controls. Of course there is no doubt about quality and reliability with Futaba.

But I am surprised to hear that the Aurora 9X is not ideal for multirotor. Why is that?

Finally, why would I buy a 14SG over a T8FG?

Cheers :)

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I have a Futaba 14SG and then ended up buying a Taranis to mess around with the open source side of things. I will be selling my Futaba shortly. I find the Taranis to be much more adjustable for my setup. And the ability to manipulate my radio in a computer GUI is priceless to me.

I thought the difference between the 14sg and 8fg was telemetry. I may be wrong. But regardless, another check in the Taranis column for the inexpensive telemetry modules. I have the current and voltage sensors giving me great feedback on my battery status via voice alerts. And all for under $50. Futaba sensors are quite expensive.

FerdinandK

People tend to praise what they have in use (also to justify their decision). I am using (multiple) Aurora, and the are perfectly suited for multirotor use, but I cannot compare since I do not have a Taranis in use. You can only compare if you have both systems.

best regards
Ferdinand

FerdinandK

I do not know, but I would expect all the modules that fit :D.

If you intend to change the module, one of the main reasons for this RC-TX is gone. You loose the digital connection, ... .

best regards
Ferdinand

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
it's a shame, the Hitec Aurora 9X is a great radio but it just isn't as multi-rotor friendly as some other radio options out there. I've got an Aurora 9 that i was using with my Hoverfly heli's and I've tried to sell the radio but have decided to keep it for my RC planes because I sincerely like it!

@genesc, you're a new guy, have you had any trouble getting the Taranis to work for you?

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
It is also worth checking the cost of receivers, FrSky has a good range at modest cost that support S-Bus and PPM and a range of telemetry sensors that are basically cheap and work.

Pete

genesc

Not at all Bart. At first it was kind of scary knowing I needed to change it from Mode 1 to mode 2. But that was a very simple job. No one had a
mode 2 at the time I was ready to buy. Second scary part was flashing. But after some research and a couple tries that was a piece of cake. Setting it up for my F450 has been interesting
but learned allot about how to set duel rates and expos. Being new and not knowing much I think the Taranis at this point is way more radio than
I need at the moment. The Taranis IMO is very feature rich.

I hope to be able to use more of the features in the future.

Gene

it's a shame, the Hitec Aurora 9X is a great radio but it just isn't as multi-rotor friendly as some other radio options out there. I've got an Aurora 9 that i was using with my Hoverfly heli's and I've tried to sell the radio but have decided to keep it for my RC planes because I sincerely like it!

@genesc, you're a new guy, have you had any trouble getting the Taranis to work for you?

TR1PL3D

Thanks for the valued information.

I decided to go with a Taranis, which turned up today!

I can say that this radio is excellent. It really does do everything, and with a little help from some threads on here, and some YT videos, I have managed to program it the way I want. It was actually a lot easier than I thought.

Having audio alerts to tell me the information I need is a very welcome feature indeed.

As for build quality, much better than I was expecting.

So far I am very happy with my Taranis!

Thanks again :)