switching the DJI opto ESC's to sense NICD rather than Lipo ?

Does anyone out there know if the above is possible ?

I am flying a 550 hex using a good 3000Mah 14.8v lipo, but only get around 5 minutes max. My reading on the web tells me that is a much better idea to have the ESC set to think they are sensing Nicad rather than Lipo so you do not get these heavy enforced heavy landings as I just did on a test flight this afternoon.

I was at about 100 feet when I realised I was getting red flashing from the MU, and despite bringing it down pretty fast, it still hit the ground far harder than I would have liked.

I do NOT use the voltage monitor in NAZA

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.
Ian

kloner

Aerial DP
there is no changing a dji esc anything and the voltage protection on them is already disabled.... thats a trick for non simonK esc's to make them work in multirotor.

Since it is not possible to disable low volt cutoff on an ESC, the next best thing is to set it as low as possible.
Since the low volt cutoff can be set much lower for NiMh battery type, select NiMh instead of LiPo when configuring your ESC.
Note: NiCd is nearly equivalent to NiMh with respect to individual cell volts, i.e, between 1.4 and 1.5 volts.
Not all ESCs can be reconfigured..... as is likely the case for the DJI ESCs.
While the NAZA low volt protection feature is better than nothing, it is much better to view the voltage level on your FPV screen and/or use a flight timer (a feature common to most RC xmitters).

Does anyone out there know if the above is possible ?

I am flying a 550 hex using a good 3000Mah 14.8v lipo, but only get around 5 minutes max. My reading on the web tells me that is a much better idea to have the ESC set to think they are sensing Nicad rather than Lipo so you do not get these heavy enforced heavy landings as I just did on a test flight this afternoon.

I was at about 100 feet when I realised I was getting red flashing from the MU, and despite bringing it down pretty fast, it still hit the ground far harder than I would have liked.

I do NOT use the voltage monitor in NAZA

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.
Ian