XAircraft SuperX - Taranis - X8R

mediaguru

For your enjoyment! I did a "real" flight today. Went out to a big empty field and did some basic, conservative flying. This bird is smooooooth and powerful. Takeoff and landing is SO easy!
View attachment 18998View attachment 18999

Attachments

• DSC_3167.jpg
    DSC_3167.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 332
  • DSC_3161.jpg
    DSC_3161.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 333

mediaguru

Now that I've got four flights under my belt here are the some issues to figure out.

1. When detaching a battery yesterday my solder/cable came loose from the EC5 connector which goes to my power distribution board. Thank goodness this did not come loose during flight or it would have been fatal. This is/was a high wear and tear issue. Thoughts on a better plug and play way of connecting the battery to the bird? Perhaps I just need some cable slack so all the strain isn't near the connector. Perhaps considering the 3.5mm bullet connector unit which the 960 came with. Thoughts?

2. During yesterday's flight around the neighborhood I received a few RSSI warnings, one critical. I was not very far away. I would say the bird was perhaps 60-75 feet up and 200 feet out. I may need to consider a better way of mounting my 8XR paddles. One is on a horizontal arm and one on one of the landing gear. Thoughts there? How did you mount your paddles?

fltundra

Now that I've got four flights under my belt here are the some issues to figure out.

1. When detaching a battery yesterday my solder/cable came loose from the EC5 connector which goes to my power distribution board. Thank goodness this did not come loose during flight or it would have been fatal. This is/was a high wear and tear issue. Thoughts on a better plug and play way of connecting the battery to the bird? Perhaps I just need some cable slack so all the strain isn't near the connector. Perhaps considering the 3.5mm bullet connector unit which the 960 came with. Thoughts?
I would use these:http://www.rcdude.com/servlet/the-1497/Hyperion-Gold-Bullet-Connectors/Detail
This is what i'm using now, I just solder a new one when they start to show any signs of weakening:
http://www.rcdude.com/servlet/the-1800/Castle-Creations-5.5mm-Bullet/Detail

fltundra

2. During yesterday's flight around the neighborhood I received a few RSSI warnings, one critical. I was not very far away. I would say the bird was perhaps 60-75 feet up and 200 feet out. I may need to consider a better way of mounting my 8XR paddles. One is on a horizontal arm and one on one of the landing gear. Thoughts there? How did you mount your paddles?

I replaced the paddles:
http://www.alofthobbies.com/40cm-receiver-antenna.html
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4YvUS2jBbt5eWRkdnR3MDNzVUU/edit?usp=sharing

Last edited by a moderator:

Ipoc

Thank for all the good info here Guys! I am still waiting to get all the stuff in for my build and Im wanting to run sBus and in the manual it was saying use A for ch-9 E for ch-10 and so on.. really thur me for a loop, seeing the eepe file confirmed what I thought that In mix tab
ch1=A ch2=E ch3=T ch4-R. was such a joy to come across this, I been reading for hours trying to get confutation on ch setup

Also loved the tip on the antenna's One thing I hated was the waaaaayyyy to shot paddles the X8R came with

my upcoming job just got aLOT better! My hats off to you guys Thanks!

mediaguru

I have a question perfect for this thread subject. My apologies if you see the same question elsewhere.

I have a Taranis, SuperX, 8XR hexa. Recently I installed retracts on this bird which then got me thinking. If I don't set the retracts to go down in return to home mode, my bird will land on the $1000 gimbal and $1000 camera. It will then tip over and trash a bunch of props and who knows what else.

So I need to program the 8XR's safe mode to include putting the gear down (channel 16 at -100), as well as putting the SuperX into safe mode.

Thoughts?

Ipoc

I have a question perfect for this thread subject. My apologies if you see the same question elsewhere.

I have a Taranis, SuperX, 8XR hexa. Recently I installed retracts on this bird which then got me thinking. If I don't set the retracts to go down in return to home mode, my bird will land on the $1000 gimbal and $1000 camera. It will then tip over and trash a bunch of props and who knows what else.

So I need to program the 8XR's safe mode to include putting the gear down (channel 16 at -100), as well as putting the SuperX into safe mode.

Thoughts?

How is your safe mode set right now?
And I also should ask are you wanting to set it up so when you lose signal itll trip the landing gear as well?

RTH rather from lose of signal or from a flipped switch it's very doable,I think itll just be set differently from each other

Last edited by a moderator:

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Seems like it should be set up for both, no? You can definitely bind the fail safe for the retract switch to be in the down position in the event of a loss of signal. I bind with the RTH function set as well.

Be I retested to see how you tie the retract switch to the RTH switch. It's a Taranis - it certainly can be done :)

mediaguru

Such a logical question and I didn't immediately know the answer.

Failsafe on the Taranis is set as custom, with channel 6 (safe mode) set at 100 and thats IT. Sounds like I could just set my channel 16 to 100 (the retracts), and burn that same setting into the X8R's failsafe?

Ipoc

Seems like it should be set up for both, no?

Moat definitely :) With a switch it's going to be a simple mix, with loss of signal i think there is a lil more to it,
not sure tho as im only setting mine to active RTH.
In order for me to help i was needing to know witch way he was needing help with

Ipoc

Such a logical question and I didn't immediately know the answer.

Failsafe on the Taranis is set as custom, with channel 6 (safe mode) set at 100 and thats IT. Sounds like I could just set my channel 16 to 100 (the retracts), and burn that same setting into the X8R's failsafe?

Thats exactly what i would do

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I think if you set the X8R fail safe to include both switches in the position desired, in the event of a complete loss of signal - the Rx would transmit a signal telling it to do "the right thing." :)