Super light HDMI Converter

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Anyone using one of these?

attachment.php

ChrisViperM

I have a few....work perfectly. To save some weight and make it less bulky, just remove the case....otherwise it's a no-brainer....plug and play. The only mistake I made was when ordering.....I didn't read properly and ordered this one first:

http://www.amazon.com/Mini-Composit...e=UTF8&qid=1371627858&sr=8-2&keywords=av2hdmi

...this is doing the exact opposite (upscaler)....but now I use it sometimes to connect my smallHD Monitor (no AV-in) ....

But my absolute favorite HDMI-converter is this one:

http://www.kopterworx.com/Osd-/-fpv-/-hdmi/HDMI-2-AV-converter-mini?keyword=hdmi

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:

DennyR

A number of people are selling this one in different cases, beware that it's 5v and not 12v like a few others.

anaka

I have a few....work perfectly. To save some weight and make it less bulky, just remove the case....otherwise it's a no-brainer....plug and play. The only mistake I made was when ordering.....I didn't read properly and ordered this one first:

http://www.amazon.com/Mini-Composit...e=UTF8&qid=1371627858&sr=8-2&keywords=av2hdmi

...this is doing the exact opposite (upscaler)....but now I use it sometimes to connect my smallHD Monitor (no AV-in) ....

But my absolute favorite HDMI-converter is this one:

http://www.kopterworx.com/Osd-/-fpv-/-hdmi/HDMI-2-AV-converter-mini?keyword=hdmi

Chris

hi Chris

I used the mini converter from amazon, it works well and it is light but it drains very fast the camera battery

before to spend more money on the kopterworx model, can you tell me if it has the same problem? is it good in conversion as the MINI2AV and doesent drain the camera battery?

Cheers

Augusto

ChrisViperM

Hi Augusto

In the video at 2:35 you can see how to get the needed 5V from any free port of your receiver if you don't want to draw power via the HDMI cable from you Cam battery. That way the power for the converter is then coming from your flight Lipo, but that you could also do with the cheaper converter which Droider posted.....Even if you don't have a free port on your receiver, you can make (or buy) a Y-servo cable to connect the converter to a used port.....the amp draw is minimal and wouldn't disturb whatever else is connected to that port....tried this many times, never had a problem.

Apart from that, I have buckets full of batteries for my cameras since I change them after every flight, so didn't pay too much attention which one of the converters did draw more amp's....

Chris

anaka

thnak you Chris for your quick answer

so apparently there is not so much difference between the amazon and the kopterworx adapters except for the price..is it right?

the mini2av is around 30€ and the kopterworx one is around 95€

is there anything else in performances that justify that difference?

Augusto

ChrisViperM

With these Chinese gadgets you never know what is inside and it is quiet possible that you could modify the "cheaper" one to convert it to the "more expensive" one....like the additional 5V cables. From the "cheap" converters I ordered 3x at Amazon, one of them was faulty, and after realizing what hassle it was to exchange it and how long it took, it went to the converter from Kopterworx. At least there I know about their great service and fast shipment....I have learned my lesson to hunt for cheap.

Chris

anaka

yes Chris

I had some bad experience with Chinese stuff as well so before to switch to more expensive tools I'd like to know more, just to be sure that the kopterworx has just better engineering or also more features

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Chris,

Didn't you post a pic not too long ago showing the KW and small chinese converters side by side? I looked but can't find it.

Thanks,
Bart

ChrisViperM

Chris,

Didn't you post a pic not too long ago showing the KW and small chinese converters side by side? I looked but can't find it.

Thanks,
Bart

ooooops....was certainly not me. But size wise (lenght and with) they are pretty similar. Once I am home I can make a comparison pic.....got a few of both sitting at home.

Edit: There was a lenghty tread about the "cheap" converter....: http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthread.php?4053-Sony-Nex-5n-downlink&highlight=sony+nex+downlink

Chris

Has anyone successfully used the HDMI converter in the first post of this thread with the GH3? Was there anything special you had to do to get it working?

ChrisViperM

So, here are the comparison pic's:

View attachment 12401View attachment 12402

The case from the white converter can easily be removed just with a small screwdriver, and the 3x AV plugs could just be unsoldered.....cover it with shrink wrap and you get a light-weight converter.

Chris

Attachments

• P1010042.jpg
    P1010042.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 205
  • P1010048.jpg
    P1010048.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 302

kloner

Aerial DP
take the case off, unsolder the rca then solder on a video signal cable you get the right one from the left one....

View attachment 12403

we use the one pictured first post daily and is pictured remodeled in this post. important for it to be hdmi2av, theres a bunch of different ways it converts. nex-5 and gh3 power them through hdmi so theres no need to power them

Attachments

• 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 302

Bartman

So, here are the comparison pic's:

View attachment 15725View attachment 15726

The case from the white converter can easily be removed just with a small screwdriver, and the 3x AV plugs could just be unsoldered.....cover it with shrink wrap and you get a light-weight converter.

Chris

THanks Chris. I've got a bunch of the Kopterworx units coming for the shop. Should be online and available by the end of next week if anyone's interested. Actually, much of the shop will finally be online and available by the end of next week. :)

Bart

kloner

Aerial DP
onlocation is trying the black cased hdmi2av and why he is having problems. One of my guys bought that one and it didn't work either

Bartman

I wish you all the best with your shop....

Chris

Thanks Chris. It's been an insane amount of work to not only manufacture my stuff but to organize everything into a structure from which I can interact with customers. We'll all know pretty soon where things are going to go!