sun on the barometer

kloner

Aerial DP
there obviously chineese selling them like this. no other company in the planet would release something like this to the public...... align did this too with there fbl controllers, still do to my knowledge. threw so many helis on the ground not even flying, and they knew it and kept cranking them out just like these guys. when i plugged this one in it said firmware 1.6,,, how long ago was that?

usnooz

Wow.
I to had a "Heavy Landing" the other day and i had no idea why it dropped so fast, even though i gave it over 50% to componsate, it still fell to the ground.

After reviewing the video the sun was bright, low in the sky on the left side. I'll post video later.
I took off straight after a quick inspection for damage and everything was fine.

This might have just solved my mystery. I will cover my left side now as a precautionary measure.

AndySV1K

It's definitely a problem. Took me a good while to track down what it was. I wish I had seen other info about it.

I tested mine to prove it by yawing in circles on a sunny day and everytime the left side faced the sun, the thing dropped! increase throttle to counter act it and while still yawing as soon as the left side of the craft turned away from the sun it shot up in the air.

Went through the process of taping up all the components one by one, until I finally covered the Naza and the problem vanished.

Really not sure why it has the problem but it definitely does so everyone should cover the naza to stop it getting direct sunlight.

Andy.

DarceyE

When I first read this I thought it was nuts. Wish I had made the connection and save myself lots of debugging time. I received a new NAZA controller last week. (replacement for a defective one). Was flying great but on several different occasions it did the same thing...dropped out of the sky. I played around with gains which did not help. My battery is top mounted and the controller is between the top and bottem plate on an F450. Only connection I could make was the position of the battery. If I mounted it cross wise, I did not have the problem. If I mounted it length wise, I had the problem. I was thinking it was a magnetic issue with the compass.

After reading this it makes sense. The left side of the controller was facing the sun on each occasion it decended. Placing the battery cross wise was shading the controller from the direct sun light.

Another issue I had was the quad decended everything I made a bank to the right and only the right. Again, this makes sense. When banking right, I was exposing the controller to sun on the left side which caused the uncontrolled decent.

Last night I put black electrical tape on the left side of the controller to shade the sun. It flew like a champ no matter which diection I was pointing into direct sunlight. Battery position no longer matters.

I still don't understand the how light can cause this issue. But a piece of black tape seems to have fixed it. I hope it stays fixed.

BerndM

Is this problem only showing up on the very latest offerings of the NAZA module?
Mine is probably 7 months old and apparently I do NOT have this problem at all. I tried it yesterday to purposely try to get the my DJI F450 quad to drop. The sun was as bright as could be (I'm in the Los Angeles area), and I tried some slow 360 rotations so the sun was definitely hitting all sides of the NAZA FC box. ZERO issues. None!
BTW...My FC is in the dead center BETWEEN the upper and lower plates.
I'll just go ahead and consider myself lucky, I guess.

kloner

Aerial DP
guess so...... this is the layout of the one you watched int he video, like i said, just got it

030 (1024x768)_795.jpg

795x596x016,P20,P281024x768,P29_795.jpg.pagespeed.ic.Qcz46snXQp.jpg

not alot of anything on the side, but neither were the first two of these......

2tall

Fly Often - Fly Safe
This is so bazar that I had to go back to page one and make sure this thread wasn't started on April 1st. :tennis:

Clearly it is no joke, so mine gets the cover-up tomorrow. Better safe than sorry.

kloner

Aerial DP
I hear ya,,, friggin weird but whatever. i did both mine and that'll become a practice i'll just do when i get a new one. no trying to figure these companies out,,, just roll with the flow

DennyR

According to DJI the naza case is not a sealed unit so the pressure differential outside of the case is a factor of how well each individual case fits together. I took mine apart and put a couple of very small holes on each side of the top casing and it seems to have cured that problem. I think direct sunlight could be increasing the pressure inside the case which would make it rise not drop so the conclusion is that the sun bends the case and the pressure inside leaks out faster. It is always hot where I fly so I use silver reflective tape on everything. Even black cameras overheat.

Last edited by a moderator:

So I was over at RCG reading about this same thing...do you guys think it's possible that street lights could cause this also?

When I was out flying yesterday I couldn't even fly this thing in atti mode cause I thought my vertical gains were to high...The MR was bouncing up and down like a basketball...never seen anything like it before...but when I got home later that night and start playing with the gains again it was fine...but it still would drop in flight...I guess I'll try this out when I get home!!

kloner

Aerial DP
the average where i fly is 46-48 from may to october, then it's 27-32 all the rest of the year, but it's a dry heat, usually. i bet your really humid being an island? does moisture build up inside stuff? is that a problem?

this is that island off the coast of siria right?

DennyR

Yes it's North East Med. and gets very humid in the summer. Nights are unbearable in July - Aug. Turkey to the North and Lebanon to the East and further down Israel and Jordan. Right now politically unstable all around us. I did once see 46 deg on the North side of the Island. Wow that was hot.

Not much said about the Israel - Iran situation but in the past they have preempted a strike against their enemies. Russian subs all over the Eastern Med. at the moment. I don't like what I'm hearing.

Last edited by a moderator:

kloner

Aerial DP
the US marines train where i am right before being deployed to the middle east...... conditions them. Yea, we get lows in the 30's there. my house in San Diego as far from the ocean without going over the hill towards said hell, about 20 miles inland. the lows the last 6-7 weeks have been 27-28 and humid like crazy. The ocean is warm offshore in an el nino pattern and all the monsoons and crap that usually come out of mexico to texas and new mexico are coming up and into San Diego. most misserable summer i remember in 40 years and we've had some hot ones, just not this humid. When it's dry, it's cold at night and hot in the day.... that's what were used to. 40 in the day, 20 at night, everythings alright

Wonder if anybodys tried flashing a light at the side of a naza, heck for that matter any light not full of UV's like a flashlight and see if it happens, if that is the case, it's a straight light thing and no way a expansion of anything is going on. it was 25 c or there about when that video i made took place, sun was just coming up over the trees.

kloner

Aerial DP
just noticed this posted in the rcg thread

Well, I'll revise what I said... It happens the same at 10PM as it does at 1:00... WHEN I HAVE A 300w SPOT ON IT!!

Covered the left side of the FC and problem gone! in fact on a hard 100% R or L Yaw, it actually climbs a few inches.

Xnaron: How did you stumble across this?

It's just hard to believe that the lights outside of my apt could cause this...but...I'll try it when I get home here in a couple hours...

Kloner, shouldn't you be down at the apple event...we'll be flying long range through 4g soon

just noticed this posted in the rcg thread