Mikrokopter Suggestions for Futaba tx/rx solution with MK?

Mactadpole

As posted in another thread, I am about to convert my X8 copter to the full suite of MK electronics. I have pretty much finalized my shopping list, but am still trying to decide what path to take so I can use my Futaba T10CAP 2.4ghz (modded for smooth throttle). The rx I have is the R6014HS. I would like to avoid using single channels for combining things like position hold and altitude hold. But I also want to have channels available for camera shutter controller (CAMremote) and FPV camera tilt control. As far as I can tell my options are PPM encoders or the FRSKY TFRSP receiver (not sure this will actually work but looks nice). These are the PPM encoders I have found:
Serializer 12 channels PPM converter
~$63 http://www.flashrc.com/flyboard/5929...ms_soudes.html
Quadro PPM Encoder
$35.99 http://shop.quadrocopter.us/Quadro-P...der_p_130.html
8 Channel PPM Encoder Version 2
$29.99 http://shop.quadrocopter.us/8-Channe...on-2_p_77.html

The FRSKY rx looks to be a pretty awesome solution if it works! I really like the fact that it has rssi out, but I can tap into that on the R6017HS as well.

I would really appreciate hearing about others experiences with this situation. I'd also like to hear about other options I haven't read about yet. I definitely want to maintain use of all 10 channels from my TX for any future implementations as well.

Thanks, Shawn

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Shawn,
I'm sorry but I have zero experience trying to make Futaba gear work with MK electronics but I will say that with 8 channels things get a little cramped. Even with 9 channels you can start to run short of channel assignments if you're doing all the MK tricks and photo stuff as well.
I almost went the 72 mhz route with a 9chp but bought a 9503 when they were marked down online. if yours wasn't 2.4 i could maybe help make a 72 mhz rx work with MK gear. it's a hack but it works.

Sebbie

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
I would go for more channels for the long term. I did not think I would use more than eight but I am now at 10. I will be using another channel for another Gentled triggering system to take pictures and turn the movie mode on and off on my 550D.

Graupner MX22 with Jeti.

I will be upgrading to the new Jeti TX when they are released so if you can wait a tad my Graupner MX22 will be up for sale

Dave

Mactadpole

Hey Guys,

I really appreciate all the comments and suggestions so far. Not being that familiar with all the MK features yet I am having a hard time figuring out what all I will want to assign to channels. I forgot to mention that I am still really new to RC too, so not familiar with a lot of the technology and tricks of the trade. At the moment I am really looking for the best but least expensive route to get airborne with the MK platform. Hence my need to stick with my Futaba tx. So here is what I have in my head so far as to what I will be using for channel assignments:

Channel Assignment
1 roll (aileron)
2 nick (elevator)
3 gas (throttle)
4 gear (yaw,rudder)
5 gps (3 position for gps off, position hold, and return home)
6 gps (waypoint flight; note - I haven't actually read yet how to initiate and terminate a waypoint flight but figure you gotta be able to turn it off and on)
7 altitude hold
8 camera tilt
9 camera shutter
10 EagleTree OSD menu (I can get away without having this if needed for something else)

What else might I want to be able to do? How do you guys have your features assigned?

It would be great to just use the Futuaba RX R6107sp but it only has 7 channels. I would then be losing use of 3 channels, right? Is there something I'm missing about that rx?

I am currently leaning towards the Serializer PPM converter. That way I have the first 8 channels on PPM and my last 2 are regular for camera shutter and EagleTree or whatever else.

@Dave - Definitely let me know when the Graupner MX22 with Jeti is up for sale!

Thanks again,

Shawn

Last edited by a moderator:

Bartman

shawn,
if you run short on channel assignments you can combine things within MK Tool like the GPS and Alt hold functions. They can be configured to trigger off the same channel. It's not my preferred way of doing things but it's possible if you need to squish more functions into a finite number of channels.

@dave, you plan to turn the video on and off with a servo arm? I'm getting at least eight to ten ten minute videos on a 32 GB card so I just run the video mode from takeoff to landing. if you go the servo route please post pics of your work, :) thanks!

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
@dave, you plan to turn the video on and off with a servo arm? I'm getting at least eight to ten ten minute videos on a 32 GB card so I just run the video mode from takeoff to landing. if you go the servo route please post pics of your work, thanks!

No I am using the Gentled. It will turn the video on or off and will fire pics as well. I have tried it and it works fine. Only trouble is my bird is not powerful enough to carry the 550D :( , well it will its just flogging it to death

Looks like I will have to save up the pennies for a ADX3HL..

Bartman

No I am using the Gentled. It will turn the video on or off and will fire pics as well. I have tried it and it works fine. Only trouble is my bird is not powerful enough to carry the 550D :( , well it will its just flogging it to death

Looks like I will have to save up the pennies for a ADX3HL..

dave,
got your PM, thanks for the reply.
i'm not familiar with the gentled so i guess what you're telling me is i'd be better off knowing what it is and probably using it? thanks for that, i'll look it up when i have a minute.
taking a plane to the field for the first time this season. it gets my knees wobbly just thinking about it!
have a great day everyone.
bart

Mactadpole

This Rx is said to be compatible wtih most of the Tx, including Futaba ones:

http://www.mikrocontroller.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=108&products_id=446

Has anyone tried this Jeti -TU Rx?

I'd like to go with Futaba Tx, too. The reason is they're very easy to program and very ugradable. For instance: Futaba T8FG is supposed to be 8 channels. But with a firmware upgrade, it can be 14 channels.

I think you missed copying part of the link, try this for the Jeti Duplex TU2 at mikrokopter or the product page at Jeti's site.

It's weird that the Mikrokopter site says its compatible with the Futaba T10C (what I have) but the Jeti site does not. The Jeti site shows the Duplex TF being compatible with the T10C. It would be nice to know if the Duplex TU2 does work with it or not since you can switch between your native module or the TU2.

I did a little reading trying to figure out what I would need to integrate the Jeti system and from what I see it would take the following:
Either the Duplex TU2 or TF transmitter module (if TU2 truly works with Futaba T10C)
Duplex Rsat 2 receiver for PPM output
and
Jetibox

This seems like it would be a pretty awesome setup. Starts getting expensive though. Anyone got this setup on a Futaba transmitter?

Shawn

Edit: I just totalled up the cost for this setup and it is about $200 US (includes shipping to US). I definitely want more information as this is a serious possibility! You get a lot of telemetry data and don't need the PPM converter!

Edit #2: More reading seems to reveal that I will only have access to 8 channels with this setup and my particular tx. Can anyone say otherwise?

Last edited by a moderator: