STorM32 Brushless Gimbal Controller

mackar

Anyone here that uses the STorM32 BGC? I'm tired of struggling with Alexmos configuration and decided to test a new controller, Received mine STorM32 a couple of days ago. The controller is made by a German guy on his spare time as a hobby project. I've only done some initial configuration but I'm already impressed with how the configuration software works compared with Alexmos.

Last edited by a moderator:

mackar

Got a description fromthe STorM32 developer today, I missed some steps in my calibration so I'll do another video later today or tomorrow that shows the exact method.

Aerovideo

I've got several 8bit AM boards that I've had pretty good success with on go pro sized gimbals but have completely struggled with them on anything larger. I also have a Phobotics CP board that works really well on my hand held gimbal for my Sony A7s. Lastly, I've just started playing with a $35 storm board and have had really good results so far. I've got a few more tweaks to make and some fixes to the quad to do and it'll be ready to fly.

Nice video on the calibration, very good information. Your test footage looks good too.

Paul

mackar

I haven't been able to do a test flight yet, it has been to cold here and I've had to much work but also some pleasure, have been away on a ski trip :)

Hopefully I'll be able to do a first flight test the coming weekend, I've also ordered a second STorM32 controller and a bluetooth module :)

Have started writing down a little more about my gimbal and my plan is to update for every change I do and document the results.
http://www.maciej.se/Gimbal.html

Aerovideo

I had some really high frequency vibrations in my pitch settings that gave me some jello, you might check that as well. I try flying with the gimbal off to see if the vibrations/jello are still there. Then I know if it's the gimbal or the copter.

Looks like you're getting close.

I recently got mine working really well and on the last flight of the day crashed it :( now I have to do a rebuild and start over... ugh.

mackar

My problem was also high frequency vibrations in pitch, you can see and hear that after I have landed and turned off the motors. To bad with the crash, hope you can rebuild it soon.

mackar

2nd test flight today, it performed much better than the first time, much less jello but there is still some (will check motor/propeller balance) it holds horizon very well but there is a problem with yaw, that worked actually better last time and it could be the board that is broken. I managed to short circuit the battery cables a couple of days ago. I ting I will use my other board on next test.

http://www.maciej.se/Gimbal.html#2nd

mackar

Added a bluetooth module to my second controller, this one is without the backplane

http://www.maciej.se/Gimbal.html#bluetooth2

Gimbal_1.jpg

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I've been interested in this board. Great video for the calibration.

Do you guys feel it's easier to get tuned than alexmos?